Whisling noise when turned off? 1.2 TSI

Hi Guys

your thoughts appreciated.

If I turn off my Fabia 11 (if still relatively cold) - I get a (can only describe it as) whistling sound that lasts for approx 3 seconds. It is either an intake of air (vacuum) OR exhalation of air (compression).

There is no one else in the house at the moment, so I cannot switch off and be under the bonnet at the same time to listen. I have as a first off looked at the servo vacuum pipe - which appears to be sound, and of course the air box to intake connection.

Any further ideas would be appreciated. This is a bog standard 1.2 TSI unit - 2013.

Thanks in advance

Edited by 2ndskoda

• 2 weeks later...

I get noises like this out of mine (and a few more....) Mines the 105bhp version.

What i have found with mine is sitting in the car with everything closed up, the cabin seems to exaggerate some noises from under the hood.

I've heard noises in the cabin, pop the bonnet to investigate and not heard the same noise anywhere near the same level outside the car.

Even opening the door effects it as well, it drives me nuts some days....

I seem to have one with the aircon, its like a metallic scraping noise and if i turn the aircon on it settles down and goes quiet...

Turn it off and it can come back. Guess its the clutch on the front of it or extra load on the engine having an effect on something...

• 1 month later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 23:25, Gonzini said:

I get noises like this out of mine (and a few more....) Mines the 105bhp version.

What i have found with mine is sitting in the car with everything closed up, the cabin seems to exaggerate some noises from under the hood.

I've heard noises in the cabin, pop the bonnet to investigate and not heard the same noise anywhere near the same level outside the car.

Even opening the door effects it as well, it drives me nuts some days....

I seem to have one with the aircon, its like a metallic scraping noise and if i turn the aircon on it settles down and goes quiet...

Turn it off and it can come back. Guess its the clutch on the front of it or extra load on the engine having an effect on something...

Are you not getting confused with the BCM sequentially shutting down some functions, and waking them up when and if you open the driver's door? The AC will make a few noises when the pumping demand has reduced.

Edit:- also, in the OP's case, if the AC has been in use, it will make some noises after stopped the engine as the refrigerant pressures equalise round the system.

Edited by rum4mo

Hi, cheers for the input.

I'm still chasing my noise's of which there are a few.

The metalic sounding scraping noise seems to be turning more into a blowing noise like if you blow over the hole of an empty bottle but higher pitched. If you can imagine also the sound that disc brakes make when they're rubbing at low speed, it's like a mix of the two. It's really hard to describe the sound.

I've noticed it more this last week, it when you rev the engine up it gets louder as the revs go up around 1200 rpm then it might stop. Also hear it when driving, like when pulling away.

Example this morning on the shopping run, about 2 miles up the road.

Started from cold and left air con off  (Get the usual squeaking noise after 20 secs which goes after a bit..... not idea what that is at the moment...)

Drive off get to the shop, cars off for about 1/2 hour.

Start car, blowing noise starts as pull away. Go with it up the road, rev the engine at a few traffic lights still hearing the noise. Open the door while stationary at lights, don't hear the noise outside the car, much louder in the cabin with door shut.

Then engage the aircon and noise goes?

Get home, turn off aircon while get ready to park up.  Don't gear the noise while reversing.

Mines going into dealers next Monday for a rough idle problem which I've had on and off for months, I've given them a list of the noises also, none if which they will hear on the day..... and so it goes on.

Cheers

... Never, EVER, owned a car (Or any other vehicle) That doesn't machine occasional funny noise, now and again! Sometimes its a fault that can be rectified, sometimes just a noise. Sometimes they persist, sometimes they disappear but sooner or later, every vehicle makes a noise you are not used to!

One such noise on my Fabia is a kind of reverberation, like an air-lock or something. Usually when warm or hotter days but not always. Sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for ten or more... Tends to squeal, gets higher pitched until if then just stops. Weird, disturbing at first but it has done it since new, through an engine change, two clutches, many services, oil changes, air con recharges, etc. Just happens to happen!

• Like 1

This one is the worst I've had for strange noises, I've never owned a car like it. Been driving for 30 odd years.

Mines been at the dealers today for a number of these, guess what as expected they couldn't find anything wrong with it....

I give up!!!!

I'm just going to turn the stereo up now. As long as it starts and the wheels keep turning then i think I'll be doing OK.

Definitely going for the extended warranty though, some of those's noises sound expensive if they become more permanent....