Pumpkin installation Mk2 Octy VRS (FL)

I spent a lot of time choosing a suitable android head unit, so maybe this review will help others. The unit installed is: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Navigation-Touchscreen-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B06XHJZJVZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk (this review appears on Amazon’s site too)

Please note that I have no connection with Pumpkin and I paid for the unit with my own hard-earned cash! My review is from my own experience with the unit over the last few days.

Build quality, accessories and fitting

One of the reasons I bought this particular model was because it claims to be completely compatible with the existing wiring in my 2010 (Facelift version) Skoda Octavia VRS and I’m pleased to say it was a perfect match (see the wiring photos). I could have had the radio installed in less than ½ an hour including removing the old one and it only took longer due to the fiddly part of finding a suitable spot for the external mic. The neat GPS module slid easily into a space below the top storage area and was kept there with some double-sided tape, it gives a very good GPS signal.

Please note that I have not installed a reversing camera (yet) and my car doesn’t have steering wheel controls.

Also remember that a new surround is needed which cost less than £20 from a certain auction site. The finish on the Chinese surround is grey-silver rather than VRS silver but it looks OK. It also doesn’t fit exactly right around the a/c controls (it stands proud rather than flush). It’s £20 rather than £90 or whatever from Skoda though! I need to check I have all the clips in properly before I go thinking about splashing more cash.

Perhaps also of note is that once the key is removed the unit powers down automatically after about 10 minutes (although I haven’t timed it). Unlike the Bolero, the key has to be inserted and turned (ACC setting?) before the Pumpkin can be powered up.

Pros: Build quality seems excellent with no loose buttons and the appearance is great. Installation was a doddle,

Cons: The external mic lead is too short to allow placement near the rear-view mirror or on the driver’s A pillar. (I ended up placing it under the instrument cluster, see photo). External mic is non-standard fitting, i.e. not a 3.5mm jack so is not easy to substitute.

Display, connectivity, setup

The display is perfect and has been bright enough in the recent sunny days. I haven’t been able to try at night yet. It’s extremely responsive and a great improvement over the old Bolero.

Connecting to my home Wi-Fi from outside the house and to my mobile (Huawei P8) was as simple as anything you are likely to see; if you are used to Android there will be no issues with this or the Bluetooth setup. Hotspot setup was also straight-forward but allowing Wi-Fi hotspot internet access seems to work better than Bluetooth, especially when using the “OK Google” function (see phone calls section).

Icons can be moved around but to get them to the adjacent screen means moving the icon as far to the edge of the screen as possible – it took me a while to realise this, it’s not as easy as on my smartphone.

The widgets for radio, music and clock/date on the home screen cannot be moved or changed which is a shame (although quite common with similar units as I understand it).

There are the usual array of Android settings and under “GPS” you can allocate your favourite map app to the map button on the unit itself. Factory setup contains further options including useful max volumes settings (although working out which setting relates to which app is trial and error); the access code is “3368”.

Speed

This is one fast unit! Initially it’s approx. 20 seconds from cold boot to being able to use apps and almost instant start up on subsequent starts. Light years ahead of the old Bolero!

Music, radio and video

Very good audio but it’s not for the audiophiles out there, however it doesn’t cost £1000 and has more functions.  I can now use my favourite music app, Poweramp, which makes changing playlists and albums a joy compared to the sloooooow and clunky system used by the Bolero. I’ve only tried video from YouTube but it looked fine.

The radio is odd though. Radio stations are lost if you go into factory setup to make changes to such things as the CANBUS setting for the correct “door open” or to change maximum volumes for example. Autopumkin confirmed to me that it is a software problem that they hope to rectify. In addition, the TA function isn’t like anything I’ve had before. Normally you can listen to Radio 1 for example, set TA and local traffic will interrupt the Radio 1 broadcast. On the Pumpkin, you have to select TA and it will only select local stations carrying the TA broadcast (so no Radio 1 etc). Maybe I’m doing it wrong but it’s not very intuitive. This part is a work-in-progress for me.

Maps

Pick your app and it will likely work. Google maps is great for voice search but I prefer the paid-for TomTom Go because I’m used to it.

Phone Calls

Retrieving the contacts from my phone and making/receiving calls from the touchscreen works as expected (and the external mic seems to work pretty well considering its size) but I had so much difficulty making calls via voice commands.

I’m no expert in this area and ended up using “OK Google”. The command “call home” would initially bring up the dialling number screen then three beeps and nothing. I have made it work by allowing the activation of OK Google from any screen (of course) and setting my phone to allow activation even when the screen is locked. This creates something of a security risk and needs the phone to be connected to the USB charger in the car. Not great but it works till I find another way round it and I don’t use the phone that often whilst driving anyway.

Overall

I’m still fine-tuning my setup after two or three days use. It’s a great unit and when I have emailed for support I’m pleased to say the answer came back the next working day. Top marks for that. Just remember that you will need to spend a lot more time setting the unit up the way you want it than you needed to install it!

For the price, and despite some occasions when the radio or satnav volume would stop after using OK Google (power-off sorts it out), it’s an excellent product.

Phil

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_20170618_113225.jpg

IMG_20170618_113241.jpg

IMG_20170618_123719.jpg

IMG_20170619_165200.jpg

IMG_20170619_170040.jpg

IMG_20170619_193806.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

An update after using the unit for a few weeks and details of some problems (and solutions) I found that might help others:

1: Video plays in great quality from SD cards. Not something I'll use much but it's there if needed.

2: Be careful where you site the GPS antenna. I placed mine on a "shelf" just under the dash-top storage box as I'd seen this done elsewhere. It seemed to work OK until I started to use the satnav apps and found I was experiencing freezes and the unit thinking I was on a different roads from the one I was really on! Checking the GPS monitor revealed really poor speeds when locating the satellites (up to 5 minutes!) which undoubtedly affected the map software. I now have the GPS module on the dash heater grill (the module has a magnet on it) and finding satellites seems extremely quick. It's so hard to find anything metallic under the dash that can be used for the module and that can be reached easily; the module is small & looks OK sat where it is.

3: I'm having some trouble with the unit occasionally forgetting my Wi-Fi  passwords although it remembers them on a reboot. Odd. Pumpkin are investigating.

Pumpkin's support continues to be of great help when issues arise and they respond really quickly.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

On the whole, I'm very pleased with it (mounting the GPS antenna on the dash made a huge difference). I get the odd reboot maybe once a week for no reason but it only takes about 45 secs; I can live with that. 

The TA system is about the worst feature as when you select this function the radio cycles the local stations picking up traffic announcements as they are transmitted. In other words, you can listen to local stations with TA but not the likes of Radio 1 or 2 with local TA interrupting as is normal on car head units. Odd but not a deal breaker.

They take a LOT of setting up so be prepared! Things like how loud the SatNav voice is when it speaks over music for example. Make sure you have a good Wi-Fi connection outside your house for updates as well (unless you have a generous data package on your mobile).

That unit looks a good spec - smaller screen than mine but it can play discs (mine can’t but then I don’t use them). Might be harder to square away all those wires than mine was.

Support were great for me; my emails all went through Amazon so maybe that’s why I had more luck.

Phil

Dear Phil

Thanks for the update.

I asked Pumkin about the differences between the unit you have and the latest one.

Their reply

The older version is more stable and has Octa-Core CPU,the other model which has 7.1 version has Quad-core CPU.
Best regards!

Not too sure what to make of that reply.

I am not to worried about the fiddly setup, more bothered about having to update firmware and instsbility.

I have also messaged them on Amazon and asked if they can supply through Amazon, think it maybe easier to sort out any issues.

will let you know what happens

regards

Paul

Hi Paul

The one you are considering is the newer model if I read it right and Pumpkin's blurb has it with the octa-core processor; mine is older with a quad core. Will it make a difference? Google is a good place to look (although mainly about smart phones) but I found this - http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinion/octa-core-vs-quad-core-what-s-the-difference-2932452

All I can say is mine boots from cold in a couple or three seconds (30 secs or so for a full, cold reboot) and handles eveything thrown at it.

OS-wise the newer one has a more up-to-date version of Android; Pumpkin are seemingly saying it might not be stable! Never updated mine (yet). You pays yer money and takes yer chance I think ;-)

And Pessimal, the sim card goes in a sim holder at the end of a USB lead that in turn plugs in to the back of the unit. Don't use mine and see no point as data only sims have a monthly cost, Seems far more sense to tether (hotspot) via your mobile. Works well for me and I use PAYG! Just remember to turn off the auto updates in Google (or learn the hard way like I did, doh!!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Paul i have same or similar model Pumpkin to you and have found similar issues and similar successes.

However i never got any responses back from pumpkin but i could be using the wrong contact could

you confirm what email address you are using. Also i wan't to use offline Sat nav because since i swapped

to Iphone from android phone i can't tether the 4G anymore. I have Waze and Google maps installed but

can't get these to work offline. When you search for a postcode it just says no connection. When i puchased

the unit from amazon im sure it said there were offline maps available for download to store on a sim and

then there is a slot for This sim on the right hand side but i can't find anywhere to download these from, can 

you help?

Dear Scribbler

I gave up on my unit and sent it back.

It locked up and I could not get it to restart.

I took it out and powered it back up and it reset.

The response from pumpkin was to do a factory reset. This meant all the applications were lost

I had spent some time setting it all up and did not want the hassle in the future.

I was using Google maps and used the hotspot on my phone. This worked ok but I have plenty of data on my phone plan.

I tried the Pumpkin forum, they mean well but its does not appear to be well supported, the model range is changing all the time and very confusing.

I am back to the original Skoda set up and I think I will carry on with that.

Sorry I can't be more helpful

best regards

Paul

• Like 1