Yeti Door Safety Lights

Clive1942

My 2016 Yeti Outdoor SL has little red reflectors set into the inner lower part of the front doors.  I saw on a website (Superskoda possibly?) some complete LED lamps for this.  Mine does not appear to be wired up for these lamps.

Should all models of the Yeti have actual lights in place? 

If I get a pair of lamps, do  you know if there is a special wiring harness available?

Also, are these lamps on all the time after dark even with the doors closed?

Cheers

Clive

I suspect you will find that the wiring is in the loom passing into the door, but you will need to strip the door cards off to find it.

No, they are only on when the door is open, as they are linked to the interior lighting system.

Thank you.  As the lights are on only when the door is open, I was trying to guess how that would work.  Obviously related to the Interior light circuit but it may mean having to do some threading of cables from the body into the door.  I was hoping that they might have provided the power and I would only need to connect up. 

Trying to find the overseas supplier of the upgrades, but can't remember who they were.  They even offer a 3 pack, with 2 door lamps and a boot lamp. I don't think it was Superskoda. 

I had a similar situation with my ex Tiguan and would guess that the Yeti is similarly wired.

The door loom is indeed pre wired for door lights but just needs the light wiring lead to be fitted into the existing socket and one spliced connection. There are different light plugs for the front and rear doors too.

Finally each door will need VCDS to tell the door that new lights are in place.

HTH.

• Like 1

IIRC, they changed the spec of the 2016 models and discontinued the door lights, fitting reflectors instead.

I'll have to check mine when I leave work in about an hour.

• Like 1

I have yet to come across a VAG car that has a loom for items not fitted to the car.

In the case of the door warning lights it is easy enough to tap into each door controller for the correct power supply, the lights will then only illuminate when the respective door(s) are opened.

You may well be able to buy a dedicated loom, but it is easy enough to make your own using genuine Škoda plugs and terminals. (available from TPS)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, john999boy said:

The door loom is indeed pre wired for door lights but just needs the light wiring lead to be fitted into the existing socket and one spliced connection. There are different light plugs for the front and rear doors too.

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I have yet to come across a VAG car that has a loom for items not fitted to the car.

In the case of the door warning lights it is easy enough to tap into each door controller for the correct power supply, the lights will then only illuminate when the respective door(s) are opened.

You may well be able to buy a dedicated loom, but it is easy enough to make your own using genuine Škoda plugs and terminals. (available from TPS)

Maybe I should have explained a little better. :blush

The lights which I purchased came with a detachable lead which had a plug on one side for attaching to the 'new' LED light and had two OEM plugs on the other end to attach to a vacant socket within a multiplug and also to a common feed. The VW 'plugs' were definitely non standard and difficult/relatively expensive to acquire and would have also required an even more expensive tool to attach them to the cable.

This page should give you some valuable info and the quality of the lights was top notch.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2017 at 14:47, CFB said:

IIRC, they changed the spec of the 2016 models and discontinued the door lights, fitting reflectors instead.

I'll have to check mine when I leave work in about an hour.

What was the point of them doing that this late in the Yeti's life and to save pence for Skoda.

Especially as on the run out models they are fitting all sorts of extras.

Sounds daft to me and on what is a safety feature.

• Like 2