New laptop advice

tonyblue

Looking to replace my 8 year old Sony Vaio laptop but I'm baffled by the options available.

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.f97bc8141509a796fc9cab2011b41293.JPG

I currently use my Sony for;

• Storing music (itunes) and backing up my ipads and iphones.
  • Office for work (Word and Excel mainly). 
  • Editing photos and making videos from disk and SD card.

Ideally a replacement needs to carry over a few well used features;

• I like a big screen (mine is 17")
  • HDMI socket.

Budget is £750.

Video work probably means you can never have enough horsepower. £750 should get you something decently midranged.

Might be worth a look at Dell's outlet. I picked up a good Intel i5 with discrete graphics for under £500. Never missed a beat and and my sister still uses it.

• Like 1

Likewise look at HP outlet too. Don't forget cashback sites which can have vouchers as well as the cashback which could mean more bang for your buck. 

I'd try to get a good i5, decent graphics  and plenty of ram if you're doing lots of video work. Not sure your budget would get an i7 processor 

• Like 1

ebuyer or laptopsdirect for a good choice of brands.

I have bought from both, they often have mega special offers.

Read the specs carefully though.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

If you dig in a bit more detail you should find out if the memory in the laptop is upgradeable. If it is you want to know that what is there already fills one or 2 of the DIMM slots. 8Gb in one DIMM makes it an easy upgrade to 16Gb.

I've bought a lot from Ebuyer in the past. They don't have the best reputation but I've never had a problem.

Scan is sometimes worth a look too.

If you can manage another £250 you could get an i7 Alienware but look out for discount codes for Dell, they charge a lot for delivery and every so often there are vouchers for discounts or free delivery.

• Like 1