Metalic Tapping noise on Start Up

Hi we have a 2016 Skoda Fabia 1 litre 75 BHP.  On start - up I've been hearing a metallic tapping noise from the engine.  At first I though the Engine cover was loose but these engines don't have a cover.  Not rev-ing the engine up the noise eventually goes after about 5 minutes.  I was just wondering when the engine is cold the noise is a common thing among the new 1 litre engines. Sadly I cannot check for any TPI's.  I used to work for a Skoda Dealer. Hope someone can help

Hi Robert and Welcome to the site.

Firstly, is this a very loud tapping you are hearing? (yes I know it's difficult to describe, a sound file would be good). Loud tapping at start up is often valve noise caused by a hydraulic tappet deflating (oil leaking out). This can be quite a marked metallic noise, very loud and can be a worry. It often goes away if the engine is lightly revved. OR it may stay there as you drive off and then suddenly just go away. It actually does no harm in the short term but must be sorted out. The fix is to replace all the hydraulic tappets which come as a set. Or, it may be you are describing a normal sound that has developed. Did you buy the car new? In any event it's under warranty so don't worry. A good idea to take it to your dealer for a diagnosis. Do report back though if you will.

Edited by Estate Man

• 2 months later...

Interesting post! I purchased a second-hand 1.2 SE Estate recently from our main dealer and this too makes a brief engine rattle on start-up from cold - car has done 21,000 miles and has had all its servicing done by main Skoda dealership. This disappears within 2 seconds max and I am assuming it's due to the need for oil pressure to build up - anyone know? I was not proposing to worry about it as the car is still under manufacturer's warranty for another 14 months and haven't felt the need to query this with the dealers.

Edited by ArgyDuBlew
needed to add the bit about servicing history!

• 2 weeks later...

The 1.2TSI (4cyl unit) can rattle on start up at various times, hot or cold. It's the valve buckets and it does not cause any damage. However, speak to your dealer just to be sure. It mostly occurs if the car is left on uneven ground, especially pointing uphill. If it is that it's normal.