Air con woes.

Hi all I have a problem with my air con at the moment. A few weeks ago I took the car into my local formula 1 to have the air con re gassed but they said it still didn't work so they took the gas out of it. I assumed it was the condenser so ordered a new one & fitted it last week. I took it back yesterday to have it re gassed which they've done but it still won't work. They did a diagnostic on it which has come back with open circuit & he said it could be a broken wire & to take it to Skid a only problem my local dealer charges £125 an hour plus VAT! Anyone got any ideas? Cheers in advance.

On 6/30/2017 at 22:53, mrgf said:

I meant the main fan to the radiator. If this fails, the air-con starts, gets warm and turns off to self-protect.

Thats what i meant as well :)

I fixed it myself in the end. There was a broken connector at the bottom of the radiator. I stripped the old connector off & plugged the tabs back in & the fan came on straight away. I've ordered some connectors off eBay to do a more permanent repair. Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:21, Jeeves73 said:

I fixed it myself in the end. There was a broken connector at the bottom of the radiator. I stripped the old connector off & plugged the tabs back in & the fan came on straight away. I've ordered some connectors off eBay to do a more permanent repair. Thanks for the replies.

I don't know exactly how badly the connector was damaged, but my way of sorting this out is forget about trying to get the old connector pins to eject using Mirco Timer 2 extractor tools, and just carefully crush the damaged connector body until you can pick out the individual contact pins then reload them into the new empty connector body while the lock U bit if fitted is still in the unlock position, then push firmly until you hear/feel a "click" - then use a small screwdriver to move the U bit back across if that connector has one.

On 03/07/2017 at 21:21, Jeeves73 said:

Hi I think i may have same problem as you!       i have no power getting to my compresser and i followed the wires to the battery (under) but so many wires i couldnt really pull them all out,,  my fan has not been on as i have only been trying while the car is cold start... should the radiator fan come on even when car engine is cold while climatic is on?  and to get to the wire you mean would i need to do from under the car (remove engine bay cover?) or can i do from under bonnet? 

i also saw a bunch of wires under the battery but couldnt figure out how to get to them!

thanks

On 27/06/2017 at 20:11, kmackmontecarlo said:

Pressure switch is a likely source but I would have it confirmed before buying any more parts 

Where is this located?  I have 1.9 TDI, ,, i searched but have no idea where to look,, and if i remove and change it will i need to regas the system? 

thanks

On 16/07/2017 at 03:09, DamoR said:

Found my problem, there is a green plug under the battery (near) it had 4 wires.. only one was attached. :( all fixed now :)

Did you have to take the battery out to get to the wiring?  this thread is going to save me i am sure as i have same problem and it is one of these fixes i am sure,  i found a bunch of wires going to the underneith of the battery they had some kind of cover/conneter but i couldnt see and didnt want to risk pulling them out any more as maybe break somthing, i cannot left weight of battery at monment but can ask my frined if i need to remove battery to get to this area,

i am so close to fix the aircon i can fell it,, i just need advice,,

thanks guys!

Hi,

No I got to mine from underneath the car. Got the car on a ramp and removed the undertray. The plug is behind the big hose and it's easier to remove the hose to get to the plug.

20170710_165353.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DamoR said:

Hi,

No I got to mine from underneath the car. Got the car on a ramp and removed the undertray. The plug is behind the big hose and it's easier to remove the hose to get to the plug.

20170710_165353.jpg

Thanks very much for excellent reply,, as soon as i can get underneith the car i shall update here, i hope to also hear from the other guy about pressure sensor as it  good idea to check it all while i am underneith,  if the pressure sensor thing is the solinoid that goes into the compressor then it is not that ,, the problem is same as you had with no live feed to the compressor,   and fault code 382 02 on the climatic,

thanks again for your help

2 minutes ago, alesypalsy said:

Thanks very much for excellent reply,, as soon as i can get underneith the car i shall update here, i hope to also hear from the other guy about pressure sensor as it  good idea to check it all while i am underneith,  if the pressure sensor thing is the solinoid that goes into the compressor then it is not that ,, the problem is same as you had with no live feed to the compressor,   and fault code 382 02 on the climatic,

thanks again for your help

No problem, the sensor on the compressor is apparently a big pain to remove, so much so that people replace the compressor as a whole unit. I hope your problem is the wiring :)

On 27/06/2017 at 20:11, kmackmontecarlo said:

Pressure switch is a likely source but I would have it confirmed before buying any more parts 

Could you tell me the location of this please ,, i want to check this but no idea where it is!

thanks

1 hour ago, alesypalsy said:

Could you tell me the location of this please ,, i want to check this but no idea where it is!

thanks

The pressure (tri state?) switch is screwed into the larger of the two fridge pipes, it will be the only electrical thing (with a connector) bolted to these fridge pipes. There is a self sealing valve below it so you can unscrew it without losing much refrigerant, just unscrew it quickly to seat the self sealing valve quickly, same when fitting new switch, but do buy the latest version of these switches as VW Group have modified them a few times due no doubt to early life failures leading to warranty claims!

Hi thanks for reply, was tough to get to the sensor , I have power going to it but I don't know how to test it? 

Would I get a different fault code for this pressure sensor ?  As my fault code is for the compresser ,,, if I run a live straight from battery to compresser should this fire it up? 

Thanks guys 

IMG_9484.JPG

IMG_9485.JPG

IMG_9489.JPG

sorry for all these posts , but i think i was so close to solving this,, , seems i may of made mistake here as i tested the connection as see in the pictures and put reconnected it as i do not have another sensor i can put on it, so after i check i am now getting 2 fault codes!!

382 as before and now 333 also!   i never had that one before and believe 333 is the pressure sensor, i suppose i may of just broken it even if it was not broken before,

May i also ask anyone that had problem here did your radiator fan come on? mine has not run, i even took the car for a long drive and left it running in my drive but the fan never ever kicked in?    if this a separate fault? or linked to the aircon problem,,,,  to be honest im running out of ideas with it now,  i really need to get it up on a ramp