Updating from Columbus

The aftermarket Android head units usually have BT built-in. As to "my" Joying HU, it gives quite adequate voice as heard on the other side, bu BT app itself can not compare to one of factory VW/Skoda's especially in terms of usability of making a call function. "OK Google" might help though if one manages to set up it correctly - I still couldn't.

"OK Google" works now (in my local language) - I now can say after "OK Google" something like "Let's go home" to have GMaps started with traffic situation and ETA (by voice) and route towards home ready. Prior to that I have to start "Google" or "Voice search" app.

What I still can not do with OK Google is to make HU dial a contact via BT-connected phone. Google app identifies contact's phone number correctly and pretends it's dialling, but phone set does not respond. But if I say "dial contact 123" (or "dial 123"), it invokes HU's BT app and dials exactly "123" on the phone. Have to sort this out somehow.

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while since I've posted and hope all are well. 

I'm still having problems with the radio function on my stereo. When I contacted the company they said the blue wire has to be connected to a 12v ignition feed, however this being a can bus vehical doesn't have one (according to online sources from many feeds). 

So wonderful people what can I now do to try and sort it out. I've tried looking online and no one seems to know. 

Fingers crossed someone know 

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

looking at replacing my Columbus but have a few questions.

1 - I use Spotify all the time.. do the wheel controls work for that app or is it just with the default player (back and next track etc)

2 - Do you have to setup each player for the exact model of your car (I see lots of videos for Skoda and they choose a VW setting) whats the recommended one for 2009-2011 skoda superb 2.

3 - Does the Station names work in the UK. Most youtube videos only have frequency and do not show the station name.

4 - For installation did ye disconnect the car battery or remove the panel with the airbag light on it ?

5 - What way did ye connect the columbus antenna to the android unit ? Ive seen all types of approaches in videos but most were not RNS510 so not sure what is best approach.

6 - Is there a spilt screen to show 2 apps on the screen at the same time. Id like to have google maps and spotify on the screen at the same time..

4 minutes ago, dfsuperb said:

4 - For installation did ye disconnect the car battery or remove the panel with the airbag light on it ?

The car battery disconnect is preferred, although not strictly necessary ... no other way to get the unit out, since there are 4 torx screws that hold it in place behind the outer cover (with the airbag light)

55 minutes ago, dfsuperb said:

I ordered the Pumpkin Octacore 8" and it should be here next week.

One question.. Do I need to disconnect the bluetooth unit under the drivers seat  or is it OK to leave it there connected ?

Why not sell it?  They fetch crazy prices...

1 hour ago, vborovic said:

I think you can leave it down there, but it would be a good idea to disable it with VCDS

Is the bluetooth connected to the columbus or to the car computer ?

How do you disable it with VCDS ?

28 minutes ago, Noddy90 said:

Why not sell it?  They fetch crazy prices...

Im contemplating it ...

Will hold off for a while to see how the android unit goes.

Even if I sell the car its nearly 10 years old so no ones going to get too excited that the original isn't there.

@Noddy90 I know the volume and track buttons work but does the phone button on the steering wheel work too or is it programmable to do something else ?

On 17/02/2018 at 22:13, dfsuperb said:

Im contemplating it ...

Will hold off for a while to see how the android unit goes.

Even if I sell the car its nearly 10 years old so no ones going to get too excited that the original isn't there.

@Noddy90 I know the volume and track buttons work but does the phone button on the steering wheel work too or is it programmable to do something else ?

Yeah; phone button still works on steering wheel. 

@Noddy90 Put in my Android stereo on Friday and its quiet nice. Went for the Pumpkin 8" one.

Can you check 1 thing for me though. My battery in the Car info on the stereo seems sometimes low. 

With engine off it goes from 12.2 - 12.45 Id expected lowest of 12.6...

The battery is five years old so may need replacing.

What voltage is yours on the android unit when the engine is off.

I assume this information is coming from the Skoda canbus so should be fairly reliable.

I had my battery showing some 12.4 for the last 2 years of its 7-year life span. It even could accomodate Webasto under these conditions (dropping below 12 during Webasto cycle) and I had good start even in -26C last winter (when Webasto was broken). Battery died last summer at almost exact 7 year and was replaced by a new one. It now shows some 12.7-12.9 (we have -15C these days).

I'm still running a factory-fitted battery in my car ... on engine off, it measures ~11.87 volts, and the car still starts like clockwork (even on -10° C as it currently is over here in the mornings)

7 hours ago, dfsuperb said:

@Noddy90 Put in my Android stereo on Friday and its quiet nice. Went for the Pumpkin 8" one.

Can you check 1 thing for me though. My battery in the Car info on the stereo seems sometimes low. 

With engine off it goes from 12.2 - 12.45 Id expected lowest of 12.6...

The battery is five years old so may need replacing.

What voltage is yours on the android unit when the engine is off.

I assume this information is coming from the Skoda canbus so should be fairly reliable.

I've never seen that reading - where would I find that on an Android unit?

On 2/26/2018 at 21:26, Noddy90 said:

I've never seen that reading - where would I find that on an Android unit?

@Noddy90 here is the screen I have in the pumpkin. Its an app called Car Settings..

One other thing. In my unit I dont see the Air Con settings on the unit when I change something but canbus for all the other bits are fine.

Do you see the AC settings on the screen when you change temp or fans or something ?

Screenshot_20180304-151543.thumb.png.950c5a68e33b7e3fe399545ed4659b9c.png

• Like 2

I don't have a page like that (wish I did) bit I DO get a brief notification at the bottom of the window of changes to the AC...