Turbo lag on 280ps auto

Particularly noticeable on mine from stand-still (auto-start-stop turned off, obv.). Anyone else annoyed with it? One can get around it by keeping the engine revs up a little but this isn't ideal nor always possible.

It's throttle mapping, not turbo lag. Yes, it's frustrating and has already been mentioned in multiple threads. It's not limited to the 280 either though it's probably most noticeable in the 280 due to the power available.

It can be overcome by installing a 'pedal box' which are available from several manufacturers. In my case I have the RaceChip Response Control which is discussed in this thread.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Huge247 said:

Thanks BillyJ. I appreciate your reply and link to the other thread. May I ask how much your set up cost? H

This was my invoice from July 2016...

Your order in detail

Skoda Superb (3V) 2.0 TSI
ManufacturerSkoda
ModelSuperb (3V) (from 2015)
Engine2.0 TSI (280 HP/ 206 kW)
1x RaceChip Ultimate 
Motorgarantie 
£349.00
1x Response Control  £169.00

Shipping & Handling £0.00

Grand total £518.00
  VAT included (20%) £86.33

On 06/07/2017 at 10:58, BillyJim said:

This was my invoice from July 2016...

Your order in detail

Skoda Superb (3V) 2.0 TSI
ManufacturerSkoda
ModelSuperb (3V) (from 2015)
Engine2.0 TSI (280 HP/ 206 kW)
1x RaceChip Ultimate 
Motorgarantie 
£349.00
1x Response Control  £169.00

Shipping & Handling £0.00

Grand total £518.00
  VAT included (20%) £86.33

BillyJim, how are finding the Racechip Ultimate. Did you get a Dyno done to confirm the output increase and has it upset any of the electronics in the car (throwing up engine light etc). Seriously looking to add it to my 206(280).

11 minutes ago, Andysuew said:

BillyJim, how are finding the Racechip Ultimate. Did you get a Dyno done to confirm the output increase and has it upset any of the electronics in the car (throwing up engine light etc). Seriously looking to add it to my 206(280).

I did a review of it in the 280 thread. Since then I've fitted the Dogbone Insert which has dramatically smoothed out the DSG gear changes.

Dyno tested? No. Happy with the seat-of-my-pants feel that it goes (even more) like stink compared to the standard 280 so not concerned if it's really producing 350 or less. The increase in torque was noticeably impressive when I drove it on some pretty damn steep inclines in the Alps where I thought it might struggle but it just kept pulling like a diesel .

It can be tweaked higher, up to a claimed 500 PS, or at least that's the case of the non-app version that I have, but overall I'm satisfied with what it does 'out of the box' and haven't felt the need to tinker.

Other than slightly harder DSG gear changes under harsh acceleration (cured by the insert) there haven't been any other hiccups caused by fitting the Ultimate, neither mechanical or electrical.

• Like 1

I have just ordered a 1.4TSI DSG Superb. I have the same engine and gearbox in the A3 and more than happy with it.

The car I test drove (220PS Superb SE L Exec with DSG) would be reluctant to accelerate unless I floored it or put in sport mode. All probably due to emissions. The A3 will pick up speed even in eco mode without the same hesitation. So I'm pretty sure it's throttle mapping.

I saw there is reference to an Audi vs. Skoda/VW/Seat setting for the throttle in the VCDS thread. Does that make a difference if set to Audi on the Superb?

11 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

I saw there is reference to an Audi vs. Skoda/VW/Seat setting for the throttle in the VCDS thread. Does that make a difference if set to Audi on the Superb?

Some say yes, some say no.

My personal experience after enabling the VCDS tweak, before obtaining a pedal box, was that it slightly livened up the pedal->engine response but only when the engine was already running within its optimal power band. It did nothing to remove the lag that occurs when pulling away or when the revs are already dropping.

On 07/07/2017 at 23:12, BillyJim said:

I did a review of it in the 280 thread. Since then I've fitted the Dogbone Insert which has dramatically smoothed out the DSG gear changes.

Dyno tested? No. Happy with the seat-of-my-pants feel that it goes (even more) like stink compared to the standard 280 so not concerned if it's really producing 350 or less. The increase in torque was noticeably impressive when I drove it on some pretty damn steep inclines in the Alps where I thought it might struggle but it just kept pulling like a diesel .

It can be tweaked higher, up to a claimed 500 PS, or at least that's the case of the non-app version that I have, but overall I'm satisfied with what it does 'out of the box' and haven't felt the need to tinker.

Other than slightly harder DSG gear changes under harsh acceleration (cured by the insert) there haven't been any other hiccups caused by fitting the Ultimate, neither mechanical or electrical.

Thanks Alex, will certainly look at the product in depth. 

On 07/07/2017 at 22:00, Andysuew said:

Andrew, I highly recommends you look into burgertuning JB1. Got it installed and it is pretty awesome.

You can use it straight out of the box and it'll pull really strong. The car becomes a beast unleashed, the push in the back sensation is pretty dramatic. I believe the 0-100km/h time will be around the 5s mark. It definitely felt a lot quicker than the stock 206.

Else you can switch it to a more linear increase (map6 mode) and it felt the car feels a lot more responsive, like it has shed a lot of the weight. Great combo with the racechip throttle response. 

I know a lot of Golf R / Golf GTI users uses it without any issues. 

13 hours ago, Andysuew said:

Thanks Alex, will certainly look at the product in depth. 

I looked at the RaceChip site because they've replaced the "throttle response" with the "XLR" and whilst there I noticed they'd also dropped the Ultimate's claimed 70 HP/PS increase of a year ago down to 54 HP/PS. Not sure if that's due to component/settings modification or simply reflecting a more accurate expectation, though the claimed 101 Nm increase in torque remains the same.

11 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Andrew, I highly recommends you look into burgertuning JB1. Got it installed and it is pretty awesome.

You can use it straight out of the box and it'll pull really strong. The car becomes a beast unleashed, the push in the back sensation is pretty dramatic. I believe the 0-100km/h time will be around the 5s mark. It definitely felt a lot quicker than the stock 206.

Else you can switch it to a more linear increase (map6 mode) and it felt the car feels a lot more responsive, like it has shed a lot of the weight. Great combo with the racechip throttle response. 

I know a lot of Golf R / Golf GTI users uses it without any issues. 

Thanks cyberkank, this certainly gives me another option to check out. 

10 hours ago, BillyJim said:

I looked at the RaceChip site because they've replaced the "throttle response" with the "XLR" and whilst there I noticed they'd also dropped the Ultimate's claimed 70 HP/PS increase of a year ago down to 54 HP/PS. Not sure if that's due to component/settings modification or simply reflecting a more accurate expectation, though the claimed 101 Nm increase in torque remains the same.

Interesting that they have reduced the power output on this unit. Makes you wonder if they over spec'd it in the first place. Still, worth looking at.