Water beading versus sheeting

labman1001

Hi Folks,

just out out of curiosity I was wondering what the groups thoughts are on washing and waxing your car with a water beading wax so that you get loads of little beads of water all over the car after a rain shower .... Can look lovely... As opposed to washing the car and applying a hydrophobic coating that causes the water to sheet off and can leave your car looking bone dry....

I remeber first seeing a hydrophobic wash coating advertised many years ago and the selling point was that the water beads can evaporate and leave the car water marked or even act as small magnifying glasses and burn into the paint whereas the sheeting effect removed all these possibilities .....

I think it's really down to personal preference. I do know that with a beading wax although it looks lovely you can end up with the dust spotting effect as the water evaporates

• Like 1

I prefer the beading effect if I'm honest B) I do like the purpose of water sheeting but if I had to choose then beading all the way & just a quick wash or even a quick wipe down with a good QD :thumbup: 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27 September 2017 at 05:30, Pittsy said:

Beading and sheeting are the same thing with different water flows guys B)

How can they be the same thing when a product that sheets the water off leaves your car dry as the water has all run off whilst beading leaves the car covered  in hundreds if not thousands of beads of water ....

Any advertising I've seen sells sheeting on the ability to keep your car cleaner for longer as nothing sits on it .... Beading on the other hand if left to evaporate off can leave the car covered in dirty water spots ......

9 hours ago, labman1001 said:

How can they be the same thing when a product that sheets the water off leaves your car dry as the water has all run off whilst beading leaves the car covered  in hundreds if not thousands of beads of water ....

Any advertising I've seen sells sheeting on the ability to keep your car cleaner for longer as nothing sits on it .... Beading on the other hand if left to evaporate off can leave the car covered in dirty water spots ......

Its a load of old tosh, don't get caught up in the hype....

Just do a quick experiment next time you have done some waxing, park your car on a slight incline and select your bonnet for instance. Grab a spray bottle with some deionised water in and spray it on  a fine mist onto the panel, you will get lovely beads. Then get the open end of your hose pipe and move it from left to right across the bonnet and the water will sheet. Its all about water flow rather than product.