My Rapid(s)

9 hours ago, MickA said:

^^^ CD player in the glove box??

Tell me more, not integrated into the head unit?

No the newer head units have all the gubbins in the glovebox (the display in the dash is just a screen). 

This is the set-up in my new car: 

IMG_20170819_183322.jpg

Another minor bonus - I have an Auto-dimming rear view mirror:thumbup:

According to the brochure this isn't standard (on any model) and can only be ordered as part of the convenience pack. I definitely don't have the rest of the pack, so wonder if this represents some kind of anomalous build?

14 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

That made me laugh.  Smarter interior, LED headlights, loads of kit included in the price (which is several 000's less than a Skoda). Cost-cutting Spanish sods don't even put in the £3 ice scraper. Well, really!

Do they also have the car alarm led in the 'wrong' door as my Cupra has?

maxxis AP2 do an all season tyre in 215/40r17.

@sharkrider on here recommended them.

Camskill have a BFGoodrich

Also doing all-season tyres in our size - Ohtsu FP7000, Nexen CP672, Nitto Neo Gen - haven't searched UK/European sellers for these yet.

Edited by camelspyyder

On 19/08/2017 at 23:57, john999boy said:

Do they also have the car alarm led in the 'wrong' door as my Cupra has?

Just checked - it's on the "right side" (driver's door). Also noticed the front door pockets are illuminated:thumbup:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

maxxis AP2 do an all season tyre in 215/40r17.

@sharkrider on here recommended them.

Camskill have a BFGoodrich

Also doing all-season tyres in our size - Ohtsu FP7000, Nexen CP672, Nitto Neo Gen - haven't searched UK/European sellers for these yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have a set of steel rims & 185/60/15 Continental winter tyres ready to fit (from my last Rapid).

I imagine the 15's will probably a better bet (and cushier ride) than sticking with the 17's throughout winter (assuming we actually get any snow this year)

Covered 500 miles thus far and no issues have arisen.

MPG appears to have settled around 40-50 (maybe 10% better than previous 1.2 TSi Rapid).

The new 3 pot engine and LED lights are the stand out features and continue to impress me hugely.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2017 at 21:28, pinkpanther said:

Covered 500 miles thus far and no issues have arisen.

MPG appears to have settled around 40-50 (maybe 10% better than previous 1.2 TSi Rapid).

The new 3 pot engine and LED lights are the stand out features and continue to impress me hugely.

First refuel - 43.9 MPG.

This is compares to:

Admittedly early days yet, but the 1.0 TSi seems to be +9% better on fuel than the older 1.2 TSi engine (in the smaller spaceback) and +13% compared with the 2013 (hatchback (same body).

The OBC is quoting 46.8 long-term average MPG, which is reasonably close, given how few miles the car has covered.

• 7 months later...
On 26/08/2017 at 10:41, pinkpanther said:

First refuel - 43.9 MPG.

This is compares to:

Admittedly early days yet, but the 1.0 TSi seems to be +9% better on fuel than the older 1.2 TSi engine (in the smaller spaceback) and +13% compared with the 2013 (hatchback (same body).

The OBC is quoting 46.8 long-term average MPG, which is reasonably close, given how few miles the car has covered.

Now at just under 7k miles and long-term average MPG is 44.5 (in generally urban use).

Seems to bear out my initial statement that the 1.0 unit is more fuel efficient than the older 1.2 units (currently stands at 10-16% better).

Edited by pinkpanther

• 1 month later...

First service is due imminently. Car has been 100% reliable over the last 10 months / 9300 miles. 

Ultimately quite boring, but spacious, relatively cheap, well equipped and good on fuel (Fuelly link below) - what's not to like:thumbup:

Also the 1.0 engine is a little gem - admittedly a little gutless low down ,(off boost) - but spins very sweetly to 6k revs and cruises on the motorway quietly (70 mph is just over 2k revs).

Definitely prefer it together the earlier 1.2 4 pot units I've owned.

• 2 months later...

The Toledo has covered 12500 miles covered now and underwent it's first service a few weeks ago.

Service was irritatingly costly at £189 (this was the cheapest offered, after contacting the 4 nearest main-dealers). The 'service' effectively amounted to an oil / filter change, but given potential warranty issues I've no plans to look outside the SEAT  dealer network, whilst the car remains under warranty.

The car has been 100% reliable and the tyres appear barely worn. Will be switching back to 185/60/15 (and steel rims) November, which marginally  improve the ride.

The 17" Xcellence alloys are fiddly to clean, but otherwise the car remains solid and spacious, if somewhat boring, family transport.

Given it's modest purchase price (around the cost of a basic Fiesta) it's difficult to find much to grumble about.

Best aspects of the car remain the LED headlights,  huge boot, relatively modest dimensions (especially width-wise) and easy motorway cruising.

The engine is another highlight, revving freely and being 10-20% more fuel efficient than the 4 pot 1.2 TSi(s) I'd previously owned. I'm currently averaging around 44 MPG (best 52.2 MPG / worst 39.7 MPG) in mainly urban commuting.

Residual values for the car are predictably poor, so no immediate plans for a change.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Toledo is no more! I covered around 17k  miles and had it serviced by the main dealer on a single occasion.

The car did precisely as it said on the tin and was certainly a bargain at the purchase price. 

No mechanical issues during my ownership.

The 17 inch wheels were certainly a pain to clean and the ride was dramatically improved by switching to my 15" steel rims and winter tyres.

I got £8250 for it in part exchange and see it is now back up for sale on the dealers website (@ £9250).

Seems you change your cars quite often like myself. Did you just get bored with the Toledo? What car have you moved to? I have just gone back to a Toledo from a Superb. The Toledo, as I am sure you agree, is a solid excellent value motor with loads of toys. I miss the DSG from the Superb and hence my next motor will be ( I hope) a car with similar space to the Toledo and an Auto gearbox. Present favourite is the Suzuki Baleno.

On 10/07/2017 at 23:28, pinkpanther said:

To illustrate the point I've now owned two Rapids, which have proved to be both frugal, reliable and robust over around 30K miles.

My aim is to provide useful feedback to help others make an informed decision.

I'm on my second Rapid just now. To me it's a reliable, quite spacious and well priced motor. The boot is great for this class of car. Can hold all the familys cases etc for holidays. Much bigger boot than that of a focus. 

Hope you get some good weather to enjoy the convertible. 

10 hours ago, Robbydazzler said:

Seems you change your cars quite often like myself. Did you just get bored with the Toledo? What car have you moved to? I have just gone back to a Toledo from a Superb. The Toledo, as I am sure you agree, is a solid excellent value motor with loads of toys. I miss the DSG from the Superb and hence my next motor will be ( I hope) a car with similar space to the Toledo and an Auto gearbox. Present favourite is the Suzuki Baleno.

I traded both my cars in (Yeti and Toledo) and went for a new Suzuki S-Cross and SEAT Mii.

Over 100 cars and counting......... 

• Like 1