Potential First car for new driver

Santa2512

OK, first off,  It;s not for me it's for my eldest  who's just passed his test  :D:D

Honest,,  i run a 3.0 flat six 4x4 :D,  so a 1.3 FWD non PAS  has very little interest,

Well apart from the mechanical bits ;)

Been to look at a 1.3 Felicia today, 

Its not the best but here goes

1.3 popular on a W plate.  

Body is a bit scabby with tin worm on the rear arches. 

it starts and runs ...

slight pull to the left when driving, but no worse than a normal car on camber.

Its got no PAS, so a slight bit of dead feel in the straight ahead position ..... hw much is normal?

Corners well.   Brakes are perfect, stops in a stright line,

no clutch slip from 30mph roll on, but isnt the fastest at pulling away   but is quite nippy ;)

4 brand new tyres

All reciepts for work done from day 1  - service history etc

Now the questionables

Tickover is ok, but every so often dips then recovers, as though something is switching  in an out.

Temp gauge not working , unpluging and reconnecting got some movement, to 70, but slow to move from there.

The header tank has coolant circulating  and is hot. 

The fan cuts in and out,   so i'm guessing the temp sensor is on its way out or dead :D

Now the potential problems

in 2011, it shows as overheated during the MOT  - low coolant. 

and play in the steering rack 

nothing since ..

Last MOT it failed on emmisions 

Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits (7.3.D.3)
Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive (7.3.D.4)
Rear Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases sdilencer (7.1.2)

I'm guessing the exhaust was fubarred

Now the 64,000 dollar question.

It only done a few hundred miles since the last MOT  - but it runs out at the end of the month.

There open to offers on the asking price so i asked if the would re-mot, and we,d give  the asking price.

they refused, but they agreed to knock £50 off the asking price.

provisionally they've agreed the sale if my son likes the test drive.

Do we go for it ...    worst case we spend £500 on Mot repairs for a years motoring ..

Best case it goes straight through.

or is the tickover symptom a warning of somthing else? more expensive

mart

Sounds a bit risky from what you have described, what's the purchase price ? potentially add your estimated £500 and it's no longer a cheap 1st car !

I'd insist that any car has at least 6 months test or a new one be allowed to be purchased before full payment made, rust on the body you can see doesn't mean rot elsewhere but......... me I'd look elsewhere 

and whisper this quietly especially on here not everyone's offspring can see past the pipe and slipper reputation of older Skoda's ( but if they can see past the badge there are some excellent early small Skoda's out there most unlikely to have been ragged to death by the cloth cap backwards brigade)

Cheers for the reply ..

He looked at a 1.0 polo yesterday  60K on the clock £795  but needed cambelt  & 2 tyres and a bit of future brake work ...   the guy agreed to take off  £95   cost to do cambelt inc parts £250  so £950 

Skoda ---  58K on the clock £225  -£50 for us to MOT   so £175 --   so we could spend upto  £775 and still  only have outlaid the same  as the polo 

worst case if its terminal we get £110 back from the scrapper   so our loss  would be £115  

Mart  

21 hours ago, Santa2512 said:

Cheers for the reply ..

Skoda ---  58K on the clock £225  -£50 for us to MOT   so £175 --   so we could spend upto  £775 and still  only have outlaid the same  as the polo 

worst case if its terminal we get £110 back from the scrapper   so our loss  would be £115  

Mart  

Put like that I'd consider the skoda worth a good look but you may find a decent Fabia as early cars are now in ' banger ' territory and these were quite often bought by ' older ' drivers hence the pipe and slipper image a better bet more spares available, in your market sub £1000 be prepared to wait and sort the better cars out one will certainly appear could be worth a look at dealers unwanted px's 

• Like 1

Hi David,

we went for a second look, and my nipper took it out for a test drive.

he like it, and it's simplicity,   we made the offer which was accepted ...   MOT is booked for saturday morning

Mart

• Like 1