brake fluid change

Last time I changed the fluid on a car was back on my mk1, but I've now got a mk3 (2014) and it is shortly to reach its 3rd birthday, when the service schedule says the brake fluid should be changed.  It is my plan to keep the car till it falls apart, so not really worried about a full dealer history to be honest (plus it is now on 71k anyway).

I've got access to an easi-bleeder kit, but is there anything specific I need to know?  vrs dsg diesel.

Thanks.

£52 fixed price at a Skoda dealer.

Presumably you connect you easi-bleed full of new fluid then open a bleed nipple on the back brakes?

Dont know how much Skoda put through on a change, probably not much to save cost, maybe 1 litre.

1 litre of genuine Skoda fluid looks about £8.

• 5 months later...

Ive read through the manual carefully. Yes you need 1L, attach easy bleed kit full with 1L Dot 4 fluid, bleed 0,3L from Right Rear, then 0.3L from Left Rear, then 0.2L from Right Front, then 0.2L from Left front. 

Important notes, attach your easy bleed first to check for leaks! Fix these first before filling with fluid. Make sure your tire pressure is 29 PSI max before connecting to easy bleed kit.

Ive just done the Mazda today, doing skoda octavia tomorrow.

You have to be careful about the pressure you use with these bleeders. Some cars need less than 1 bar to bleed through the ABS module others need higher pressures. That can also vary as to whether you are using a 'pusher' bleeder or a 'puller'. Some need to cycle the valves. If you get it wrong you can leave air in the system or leave parts of the system un-bled which will contaminate the new fluid you do put in making the whole thing pretty much a waste of time.

From the SKODA manual (IN BOLD) : A pre-pressure of 0.2 MPa (2 bar) is required to bleed the brake system.

This information is not difficult to come by. The generic one is linked from a sticky at the top of this forum, for not much money you can get the proper one for your year and chassis number. 

If you are even thinking of messing with your brakes you should have this information already. Forums can be useful if you are going off-piste or reached the limit of available information but basic stuff like this should come from the horse's mouth. 

A lot of things still work on newer cars but a lot doesn't. Personally I look at manufacturers information first before doing anything else.

• Thanks 1