NOISE

Similar problem to what?

What does a rattle on a DQ250 have to do with a slight metallic bearing noise on a DQ500?

Perhaps he should reject the Tiguan on the grounds that DQ200 and DQ250 gearboxes rattle if driven at low speed on cobbled streets!

And why post a link to a post about a manual gearbox? - I see you have just realised your error and edited your post.

This thread is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Edited by andyvee

3 minutes ago, andyvee said:

Similar problem to what?

What does a rattle on a DQ250 have to do with a slight metallic bearing noise on a DQ500?

Because, some1 asked me about the DQ250 rattle problem, because it's ANOTHER NOISE WITH A DSG that has been described as a SO-CALLED CAR-CHARACTERISTIC. Never said it's the same problem, just similar, as in " : having characteristics in common : " (Webster dictionary definition).

7 minutes ago, andyvee said:

Perhaps he should reject the Tiguan on the grounds that DQ200 and DQ250 gearboxes rattle if driven at low speed on cobbled streets!

I never mentioned the DQ200 here having the rattles, just cluch problems. The problem with DQ500 is at low speeds too, the difference is indeed the un-even surface contribution factor.

9 minutes ago, andyvee said:

And why post a link to a post about a manual gearbox? - I see you have just realised your error and edited your post.

Simply because i wanted to add the source of the video (as it is commonly done) and it is explained in the thread that the thread is about manual and this about DSG and not the same.

Edited it for your sake, for people who don't bother reading entire links/topics/posts before posting a reply

11 minutes ago, andyvee said:

I completly agree, with posts like this

12 minutes ago, andyvee said:

Similar problem to what?

this thread is getting cluttered.

It is indeed getting cluttered with irrelevancies.

The Kodiaq owners who contributed originally seem to have their issues fixed and attributed to heat shields mainly, unless amongst all the posts about Tiguans and Superbs I have missed something.

Perhaps a mod should just delete all the rest of the thread and lock it.

As I said some time ago, good luck to GTD184 with the legal action to reject the Tiguan, I have been in that position when you have lost faith in a vehicle, but I am failing to see the relevance of the last 3 pages of this thread other than out and out VW bashing.

Take it to a VW forum somewhere, its boring now.

Edited by andyvee

• 1 month later...

Hallo to you all,

I have Skoda Kodiaq with 7 speed DSG gear box 2wd.

The metal grinding noise started after 3-4000km at first it didn't bother me but it started to become noisier.

In the beginning the metal noise wasn't regular, mostly first morning start and then all day nothing.

Now it become more frequent.

Recently I was in skoda service for other reason, chrome on back window fell down, and I left the car there to check the noise but it didn't occur there after 30 min of driving around service station.

Today I google the problem I have and find this topic.

Did any of you with this problem resolve it with skoda , and how if you did?

Thanks ,

Regards from Croatia

• 5 months later...
On 12/03/2018 at 20:13, Kodiak said:

Hallo to you all,

I have Skoda Kodiaq with 7 speed DSG gear box 2wd.

The metal grinding noise started after 3-4000km at first it didn't bother me but it started to become noisier.

In the beginning the metal noise wasn't regular, mostly first morning start and then all day nothing.

Now it become more frequent.

Recently I was in skoda service for other reason, chrome on back window fell down, and I left the car there to check the noise but it didn't occur there after 30 min of driving around service station.

Today I google the problem I have and find this topic.

Did any of you with this problem resolve it with skoda , and how if you did?

Thanks ,

Regards from Croatia

Hi

I have a 2018 Kodiaq 2.0TDi SEL DSG 4x4 with a similar noise coming from the gearbox, which was there from new but reported to the dealer at 800 miles.

It is a strange one and closest to a 'rattle' and occurs when on the overrun and when the box is changing down, when hot (when it is at its worst) or cold. The dealer very reluctantly agreed it had a noise that seemed to be coming from the gearbox, after an argument with the service department who suggested I would have to pay for any further investigation time as in their opinion, there was no real fault.  Presumably they only fix obvious faults where the customer can tell them what the problem is themselves, anything else will be chargeable. You can probably guess my reaction with a car a few days old.

A test drive in another Kodiaq had the same noise, but not as bad. They advise 'see how you go', which is loudly!!! It spoils the car but I'm having to live with it. More worrying is that they said any future drivetrain claim would likely be declined by VAG as it had a non-Skoda branded towbar fitted (see my other post if you're interested in the towbar debacle). Add in the creaky driver's seat frame and it's not a peaceful drive. Shame 'cos apart from that it's a really nice car.

Needless to say I won't be buying another Kodiaq (or any other model from that dealer) when the time for replacement comes round...shame 'cos my last Skoda was great and less than half the price. Guess that's progress!

Try a different dealer, and drive their DSG equipped Kodiaq.

If that doesn't make the noise then you have a solid argument. If it also makes the noise then either you're really unlucky or the noise is indeed normal.

Have you tried recording the noise on your phone, is it loud enough to be picked-up over the engine, tyre and wind noise?

I have fixed the noise problem. 

They have replace my gear box. 

Only problem was that when I bring the car to the dealer there was no noise.  So I have left the car for few days and they have find out by them self the noise. 

After that without any problem they ordered new gearbox and replace it. 

And now there is no noise at all. 

As I was reading on the internet the problem is in this vw dsg.  It is problematic from the start but they won't to admit it. 

It just not perfect gearbox. 

Ragards to all

Thanks to all for your replies. The noise is not loud enough to be heard over the ambient noise, although the weird thing is now I'm aware and sensitised to it, I can sometimes hear it over the road noise and radio even on the motorway, where I suspect others would hear nothing unusual. 

I'll try and get another dealer to have a look (and listen) to it for a second opinion. A garage that sees it as an opportunity to solve a customer's problem, rather than just hassle and a troublesome customer, might have a different approach. 

The supplying dealer was clearly not going to get anywhere near a replacement option (as 'Kodiak' above), but I suspect that may be the only real solution. 

I complained to their head office about the poor service and aggressive and unhelpful service reception staff, but it just got referred back to the original supplying branch so I ended up back where I started. What sort of complaints procedure is that?

DonkeyKong having experienced first hand your frustrations and genuine concerns it will be interesting to see how your debacle is concluded:wondering:.............for my wife and her VW Tiguan it was legal proceedings which are at an advanced stage and will hopefully concluded to a satisfactory outcome soon, after 16 months of arbitration and dispute resolution.:angry:

Sorry to hear yours has dragged on to this. I'm not minded to do that, I haven't got the time or appetite for it. I'll put up with it until I can get rid of it and chalk it up to experience. Unless it breaks in which case I won't have any choice and the dealer will be getting it back. 

Any car can have problems, what defines a dealer and brand is what gets done about it. Which is very little in this case....

19 hours ago, DonkeyKong said:

"Any car can have problems, what defines a dealer and brand is what gets done about it. Which is very little in this case...."

Could not of put it better myself!.........after parting with approx £250,000 in 10 years with the VAG brand I will not be purchasing another after my wife's debacle is finalised!

Anyone that spent £250,000 with a Manufacturer on vehicles and servicing and maintenance must have been pretty happy with the vehicles and customer services up until their last purchase i would think.

So is that £220,000 well spent and then one Lemon purchased that the Customer Services cause the loss of that customer?

http://Skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Be sure you are telling that to Rod McLeod CEO at Skoda UK & his Boss and VW Group CEO and front man Paul Willis.

Not that they really seem to care, they have spent decades with the VW Group and probably never get Lemons as a Company Car.

• 2 years later...

Well after 3 years and 6 months justice has finally been served on Volkswagen! A legally binding decision by the Financial Ombudsman has upheld my wife's dispute with VWFS.

This was not where my wife wanted to be having ordered her Tiguan in good faith in October 2016 before taking delivery on 3 March 2017. The attitude of the dealer, VW and VWFS combined was to ignore my wife's genuine concerns, baffle her with claims of 'normal characteristic' and to frustrate her with delay after delay after delay, whilst the Motor Ombudsman, our legal representatives and the Financial Ombudsman attempted to obtain relevant information.

On 16 September 2020 the Financial Ombudsman in her 7 page report confirmed that "Mrs W’s car was not of satisfactory quality"! The FO also stated "My overall impression is that these noises do not appear to be in line with what a reasonable person might expect from a car of this price and description" - "I think Mrs W should now be allowed her final right to reject the car"
The full 7 page report will be available on the Financial Ombudsmans Website in due course.

Relief is an understatement, we are elated! After 3 years and 6 months we can now finally move on with our lives. It gives us tremendous pleasure knowing that the 'little man' on the street won a dispute against a large car corporation who knew they were wrong in the first instance but they continued to heap financial stress, mental distress and great inconvenience upon us for daring to take them on! This decsion also proves that our concerns with the noise issue that is affecting many Tiguans is not acceptable.

I sincerely hope all other Tiguan and other VAG brand owners who have encountered a similar issues or experience with Volkswagen or any other car manufacturer draw the strength to take these car corporations on and get the justice you deserve!

I think its fair comment to say that we will never be purchasing another VAG car in the future after this regretable experience!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, GTD184 said:

I think its fair comment to say that we will never be purchasing another VAG car in the future after this regretable experience!

Quite right. Vote with your feet. So if not purchasing VAG, what will you be purchasing? ( people who say they'll walk away never mention that ). And when you do mention which brand, I'm sure you'll find someone on their forum saying the exact same thing...  manufacturer useless, garage usless, unreliable parts, poor build quality, it'll be the last I ever buy from them. Every manufacturer produces lemons, you just have to be lucky.

I applaud your perseverance because the system is not taylored to support the ordinary man in the street. For me, the most important point you make is when you said "after 3yrs and 6 mth" - that's one hell of a long time.

I've tried reading the whole thread but several things aren't clear. Where has the car been for the past 3yr and 6mth?  You said a few years ago that your wife wasn't driving it but you were taking it out every few weeks to maintain charge. Is that still the case? Do you still have the car?   And has the garage accepted the ombusman's report? Have they reached financial settlement with you?

Look I know the dealership and VWFS have been buggers, but if you do still have the car, then I'd reject what the ombusman says because continued use of the car indicates there's little problem with it.  The ombusman's report may be legally binding, but if the garage wish to be awkward, then it's not over by a long shot. All the garage need do is reject their findings and you're back to sqaure one. Depending on where you stay and depending on how much money is involved means either small claims or court. If it's the latter then that could get very expensive without any guarantee you'll win.

If they haven't reached financial settlement already then your big sigh of relief may be short lived.

I have just read the whole thread as well, 3 years of angst, a large financial investment in a vehicle that has not been used, a moral victory but no financial resolution.

On page 1 I had already made up my mind what I would have done in their shoes, sourced an OE bolt or small component fitted inside the gearbox assembly and found a way of introducing it into the casing and driven the thing ignoring the screeching and groaning noises until the transmission was shredded, then phoned them to say the "characteristic" has become terminal.

I had a new XR4x4 Company car (contract hire) that had a water leak and overheated in the first week, I was towing a trailer up a fast hill with nowhere safe to stop so made the (wrong) choice to get to the top & pull over where safe, I was fairly sure that the head gasket was blown because on refilling it pushed out the coolant, car went back to supplying dealer with detailed report saying unknown water leak & suspected head gasket failure, it had alloy heads.

They sat on it for nearly a month and sent it out having replaced only the thermostat, overheated again and they allegedly replaced the head gaskets but it ran like a pig and was knocking, they had had their chance and not wanting to drive a lemon for the next 3 years I waited for it to overheat which it did within a few miles (I bet the heads were not skimmed if the geskets were indeed replaced) and I just kept on driving until it seized, I have a lot of mechanical sympathy and it was heart wrenching for me to do so, when it started pinking badly I stopped but after cooling it would not crank over so the damage was done.

It took them 3 months to source & fit a new engine, initially they tried fitting another new thermostat :D

19 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Quite right. Vote with your feet. So if not purchasing VAG, what will you be purchasing? ( people who say they'll walk away never mention that ). And when you do mention which brand, I'm sure you'll find someone on their forum saying the exact same thing...  manufacturer useless, garage usless, unreliable parts, poor build quality, it'll be the last I ever buy from them. Every manufacturer produces lemons, you just have to be lucky.

I applaud your perseverance because the system is not taylored to support the ordinary man in the street. For me, the most important point you make is when you said "after 3yrs and 6 mth" - that's one hell of a long time.

I've tried reading the whole thread but several things aren't clear. Where has the car been for the past 3yr and 6mth?  You said a few years ago that your wife wasn't driving it but you were taking it out every few weeks to maintain charge. Is that still the case? Do you still have the car?   And has the garage accepted the ombusman's report? Have they reached financial settlement with you?

Look I know the dealership and VWFS have been buggers, but if you do still have the car, then I'd reject what the ombusman says because continued use of the car indicates there's little problem with it.  The ombusman's report may be legally binding, but if the garage wish to be awkward, then it's not over by a long shot. All the garage need do is reject their findings and you're back to sqaure one. Depending on where you stay and depending on how much money is involved means either small claims or court. If it's the latter then that could get very expensive without any guarantee you'll win.

If they haven't reached financial settlement already then your big sigh of relief may be short lived.

Scot5 your initial comment rings true so I will refrain from mentioning thebrand that will replace my wife's VW, lets just say it is a brand that we have great experience of and have purchased a number of their products in the past will very little or no issues.

Again, you are very correct that the system is not tailored to support the consumer due to costs. Vw as with many other manufacturers attempt to frustrate and place heavy financial burdens on consumers which make them give up. Unfortunately, for VW  I had great faith in the law and the departments that were appointed to fight our cause and justic prevailed.

Regarding your questions, the car as per legal advice has been stored the entire time this dispute has been live. It has not been driven since August 2017 only for servicing purposes. The Financial Ombudsmans decision is final and legally binding so VW cannot object or contest the FO's decision. The FO has compiled the full facts of the case including compensation, which will be available to read on the FO's website in due course. 

18 hours ago, J.R. said:

I have just read the whole thread as well, 3 years of angst, a large financial investment in a vehicle that has not been used, a moral victory but no financial resolution.

On page 1 I had already made up my mind what I would have done in their shoes, sourced an OE bolt or small component fitted inside the gearbox assembly and found a way of introducing it into the casing and driven the thing ignoring the screeching and groaning noises until the transmission was shredded, then phoned them to say the "characteristic" has become terminal.

I had a new XR4x4 Company car (contract hire) that had a water leak and overheated in the first week, I was towing a trailer up a fast hill with nowhere safe to stop so made the (wrong) choice to get to the top & pull over where safe, I was fairly sure that the head gasket was blown because on refilling it pushed out the coolant, car went back to supplying dealer with detailed report saying unknown water leak & suspected head gasket failure, it had alloy heads.

They sat on it for nearly a month and sent it out having replaced only the thermostat, overheated again and they allegedly replaced the head gaskets but it ran like a pig and was knocking, they had had their chance and not wanting to drive a lemon for the next 3 years I waited for it to overheat which it did within a few miles (I bet the heads were not skimmed if the geskets were indeed replaced) and I just kept on driving until it seized, I have a lot of mechanical sympathy and it was heart wrenching for me to do so, when it started pinking badly I stopped but after cooling it would not crank over so the damage was done.

It took them 3 months to source & fit a new engine, initially they tried fitting another new thermostat :D

There has been a legally binding financial resolution which has been drawn up by the Financial Ombudsmanmy wife has accepted.

Unfortunately, the manner in which warranty work applies in dealerships your idea would not of worked and im sure no dealer would have taken the gearbox out and instigated some kind of mechanical failure.

XR4x4?.....that is going back some years!

Yes, but it seems like yesyerday!!

I am really pleased that you have won and hope you get resolution very soon and hopefully that will include all the costs that you have incurred paying for a vehicle that you were not able or allowed to use.

I realise that its extreme and would not expect others to use it but why do you think my method would not have worked, a fault was logged and they said to carry on driving to see if it developed into something (in their terms) measurable and warrantable, surely if the gearbox lunched itself they would have had to replace it? You have already said that they were not competent, equipped or qualified to strip down and repair a gearbox.

In any case its a hypothetical question, I am very pleased that at least one person has stuck by their guns & won against VW.

Thanks for your kind words I really appreciate your support.

I was a Ford fanboy 30 years ago and owned numerous XR2's, XR3's and XR3i's:D....they were the good years. My daughters drives a 2019 Ford Fiesta 1.0 three cylinder with 100ps, it seems so funny to realise that the 3 XR3i's I owned had an output of 105ps and they were considered 'Hot Hatches':giggle: