Yeti or Octavia Scout?

Paulq

A few months ago a friend of mine (with no little help from me) took the plunge and bought his first Yeti.  I must admit I am pretty impressed with it to the point where I am actually considering buying one myself.  

I have also seen a very nice Octavia Scout, however, the 4x4 version DSG and it does look a very nice car so wondered if you learned folk can comment on which is the better car?

I do quite a few weekly long trips, bung a lot of stuff in the back quite regularly and the 4x4 ability (only when needed) was a big draw to the Yeti.  I also now know how the Yeti drives but have never driven a Scout.  How do they compare drive wise and are there any other reasons to perhaps go with a Scout as opposed to a Yeti?

The boot sizes seem comparable if indeed they are just different shapes. Both are 2015 models.

Thanks for any help.

I have no intention of offering anything but the following advice 

drive both back to back in as many uses or situations ( extended test drive or even hire each car ) you will expect from your eventual choice because essentially that what's it is your choice

Auto Express had a piece on the facelifted Scout last week and has a comparison with the Seat Leon Xperience in this week's edition, which the Scout won. As for the age question, all sensible advice seems to be that you should go for a Euro 6 or an unfixed Euro 5 in either car.

1 hour ago, HowardBury said:

Auto Express had a piece on the facelifted Scout last week and has a comparison with the Seat Leon Xperience in this week's edition, which the Scout won. As for the age question, all sensible advice seems to be that you should go for a Euro 6 or an unfixed Euro 5 in either car.

I am not really sure what that means.  Which category would either of the cars above fit into?

7 minutes ago, Paulq said:

I am not really sure what that means.  Which category would either of the cars above fit into?

All cars sold in GB had to be Euro 6 after September 2015, but some were Euro 6 before that. I think I'm correct in saying that if it has the 150ps engine (rather than the 140/138) then it will be Euro 6. I'm sure someone will correct this if I'm wrong.

Euro 5 engines are those which Skoda want to "fix" for emissions purposes, but there appears to be an increasing amount of evidence that the "fix" may have detrimental effects on the car's performance and durability. It's a long read, but more at the link.

Edited by HowardBury

7 minutes ago, Paulq said:

The Scout is the 184 BHP and the Yeti the 150.

Parkers says Euro 6 for the 184 dsg, and I think the 150 is as well.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/octavia/scout-2014/20-tdi-cr-(184bhp)-scout-4x4-5d-dsg/specs/

Great - hopefully going to drive both later today.  Saw a Scout in the flesh earlier and the boot wasn't as cavernous as I thought

Driving done and loved both of them to be honest.  In the end, I went for the Yeti based on the fact that there felt to be more room in the front and a higher driving position; and also that the Scout was £1400 more expensive and I couldn't reconcile that in my head.  No doubt that both are great cars and very versatile.

Pick it up on Tuesday and am looking forward to it very much. Happy.:)

Edited by Paulq
  • Like 2

Glad that has worked out well for you Paul. When you say the Yeti had more room in the front, was that just headroom or was it width and legroom as well?

Just now, HowardBury said:

Glad that has worked out well for you Paul. When you say the Yeti had more room in the front, was that just headroom or was it width and legroom as well?

Thank you and thank you for your advice also.  The Scout is the better car to drive I would say but the dash and centre console don't leave you a lot of wriggle room as the console literally is a swept out continuation of the dash.  With the Yeti that's not the case so there's generally more space.  I also did feel there was a lot more headroom in the Yeti.

I am actually (after fitting winter tyres) praying for snow this year so I can be smug with all the people who will inevitably turn their noses up at it. 

• Like 1

Just a further question rather than post another thread.

I will probably have to stick a towbar on the Yeti to use with a bike carrier - is a dealer fit the best for this (I want the removable one) or are there OEM compatible fitters that are cheaper?

I am based in the NW.

Thanks again for any help.

There was perceptibly more room 'for me' in the front of the Yeti whereas the Scout felt a little more closed in.  You won't make a bad choice - they are both great.