Controversial L&K Comment...

OK, I'm going to be roundly castigated here I suspect, and I'd like to make it very clear that my intention is not to criticise any other forum member's vehicle...but....

Am I the only one who finds the Skoda L&K branding incredibly ugly and out of date? I absolutely hate the swirly italicised branding that seems to be plastered everywhere from the front wings, to seat backs, and various other places.

To my eyes, it's really outdated and akin to the old enamel AA badges some people still like to put on their radiator grills. The main difference being that it's there by default. Whilst you can de-badge the outside you're a bit stuck with it elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I love the spec - I just can't stand the branding. It just doesn't say 'premium' or 'flagship' to me, it just looks naff.

I realise there's a heritage angle, and it's a wholly subjective thing, but I'd much rather see a logo and branding that's more in line with the brands' more modern outlook and the cars lines.

Is it just me with an unexplained aversion to it?

• Like 2

The actual badge doesn't bother me but when I bought the car I thought it's use inside the car was OTT. That said, after almost two years I simply don't take notice of them any more.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BillyJim said:

The actual badge doesn't bother me but when I bought the car I thought it's use inside the car was OTT. That said, after almost two years I simply don't take notice of them any more.

+1

• Like 2

I agree about the logo of the brand for L&K, it does look dated..

Take the Mondeo Vignale as an example... the side badges are crisp and modern, theres no need to keep reminding the owner about it inside..

• Like 2

I agree with you totally, @CheshireBumpkin.

I have an SEL Executive on order. I specifically avoided stumping up the extra for an L&K because of the badging, the embossed leather seats and the lighter coloured dials. I think it's old fashioned, as well as naff and tacky.

I would have had a Sportline if I could have had a full leather interior, but the alcantara's not for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fatso said:

I would have had a Sportline if I could have had a full leather interior, but the alcantara's not for me.

I thought the same but after a few months Sportline ownership I prefer the alcantara to the leather I've had in previous cars.  I just wish I saved the money I spent on heated seats and put them towards another option instead. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, john999boy said:

You may reconsider in the winter. ;)

Maybe but it was cold enough to use my heated windscreen in the first few weeks of ownership though I didn't feel the need to switch on the heated seats.  I obviously did, but it wasn't a case of actual life and death, like it is with leather on a cold morning :D

The L&K italic script is meant to convey top marque elegance, and the fact that it's everywhere to constantly remind you and your friends that you spent a lot of money. Marketing madness. I see a "debadge" option on some vehicle configurators.

In the case of the Superb, it wouldn't put me off buying the car.

15 minutes ago, freelunch said:

I'd hate to think that all the extra money was just to pay for the badging and embossing! :biggrin:

Nearly as expensive as an Audi badge!  

• Like 1

I have had mine for over five years and as others have said, you simply do not notice it. I lie I do when I am washing the car as it is on the wings as I am carefull with those logo's.  

Edited by Danny 57
  • Like 1

I don't disagree with all that has been said about the L & K badges.  I have had mine 4 months now and very happy with my L & K but there are a few too many inside, on the door sills and wings etc.  I too think they look a little dated and in need of modernising.  However I was looking at the Sportline, SEL and the L & K when I was making my purchase.  It was a close run thing.  Liked the Sportline allot and the seats were supremely comfortable.  There were too many toys I wanted on the car it make it a viable option.  I really wanted full leather seats for starters.  

I was considering the SEL but SWMBO and I both found the seats more comfortable in the L & K.  And again, there were toys I wanted that pushed the price of the SEL beyond the L & K anyway.

So L & K it was.  I do get nervous washing those wings though in case I catch the corner of the badge:sweat:

Agree the badging is OTT.  A little subtlety would not go amiss.

it would not have stopped me buying an L & K, it was more that I prefer alcantara and there were too many toys on the L & K that I simply did not want or need.

I am quite keen to try a 2.0 TSI Sportline.  Perhaps it has better body control.  Can Skoda provide one for me to test?  Nope.

24 minutes ago, Lol6 said:

I am quite keen to try a 2.0 TSI Sportline.  Perhaps it has better body control.  Can Skoda provide one for me to test?  Nope.

Try the Škoda dealership in Croydon. I bought their demonstrator and they replaced it with a Dragon Green model. Might still be there?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Try the Škoda dealership in Croydon. I bought their demonstrator and they replaced it with a Dragon Green model. Might still be there?

Thanks for the heads up.  I will investigate.

I have the L & K, but all external bages have been removed, on the front wings and the rear.

The only badges external, are the round Skoda winged things.

Mayoboat

35 minutes ago, Mayoboat said:

I have the L & K, but all external bages have been removed, on the front wings and the rear.

The only badges external, are the round Skoda winged things.

Mayoboat

Hmm I am quite fancying the clean external look now.;)  A 280 with no external badges and no 4 x 4 badge is a real wolf in sheeps clothing.  Only giveaway then are the nice exhausts and bigger brake discs. :D

• Like 1

Well as it is supposed to be a nod to the heritage of L&K and Skoda I guess the styling is 'heritage'.

As with all heritage it's a bit like Bovril or Branston. It wouldnt be right to change the logo to a modern version like the awful Vignale example on the Ford; that just completely ignores the heritage of that name IMO.

Here's what I think I am driving in my L&K. :tongueout:

LK old (002).jpg

Edited by Sagalout
typo
  • Like 2

I was expecting more heat from this, and it's great to see that we can have different views without the fallouts you often see on other forums. Just shows what a civilised bunch we are! :biggrin:

I see your point @Sagalout, but if you look at your two examples (Bovril and Branston) their logos have evolved quite considerably over the years and become far more modern and up-to-date without losing their identity. The blummin' L&K logo is still virtually identical to the one in your (brilliant) image above!

Hope they aren't too intrusive as I get my new L&K in a weeks time.

I removed the Greenline stickers from my current model as i thought they were a bit "naff"

25 minutes ago, DH- Leeds said:

Hope they aren't too intrusive as I get my new L&K in a weeks time.

I removed the Greenline stickers from my current model as i thought they were a bit "naff"

Not naff at all, stunning car the L & K.  Wouldn't change it for anything else. ;)

• Like 1

I previously had a MKII L&K and completely agree with Sagalout's comments above.  It represents the founding members and the heritage of the brand and adds a touch of class to the car IMO.  Then again, I was disappointed that they dropped the wood effect on the dash and many would consider that looks dated so each to their own I suppose!  I actually think the branding looks very well although I choose not to go down the L&K route this time as it doesn't represent any kind of value for money, especially here in Ireland.

• Like 4