Clearing Browsing Data & Cookies / Chrome

Tilt

I know how to do it now, but..............

(1) is there any reason i should not clear my history from the beginning of time? (as chrome puts it).

(2) is being signed out of websites simply a case of signing back in again when necessary (with saved passwords, so long as saved passwords is unchecked)?

(3) silly question but Is 1930 items a ridiculous amount?

(4) It will not delete my imported favourites would it?

Specific answers and any other advice gratefully received.

It doesn't bin favourites.

You will have to log back in to sites (but if you have let Chrome save passwords (!) they will still be there I think.

1930 items is only a few days or weeks browsing.

Just for the record Tilt HASN'T been looking at pr0n.

No pr0n at all

Not now not ever

No pr0n.

Mine is set to never record any history, ever B)

Or cookies or passwords.

No pr0n here either.

23 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Just for the record Tilt HASN'T been looking at pr0n.

No pr0n at all

No pr0n.

Mine is set to never record any history, ever B)

Or cookies or passwords.

No pr0n here either.

:bandit:

privatebrowsing-1.jpg

Not that I have done this (yet), but at an IT course last week I was told that if surfing anywhere dodgy you should use a Virtual Machine (running another synthetic PC inside VirtualBox for instance) and use a VPN.

• Administrators

While you're at it, for all browsers, check the disable 3rd party cookies option ;)

All browsers mine, but the site you visit far more! Facebook is terrible, given most sites have FB 'share' code, which pulls from FB, so FB know where you go! We use plain links ;)

Other good ideas:

Paranoia is better than any antivirus/protection. Never click anything inc sms links.

Have a laptop/device you only use for banking! Or don't use online banking.

VM's are good for throw away sessions - never know when a domain has been flipped for wrong.

Chromebook - or spankbook, throw away device for those moments. Also good as bank just remember which one is which, because rhyming is dangerous ;)

Don't use your browser to save passwords! Use a password manager.

Only use the same password/email on sites you really really do not give one hoot or dam about ever using again. Or in other words, use a password manager and have a unique combo for all.

Use different browsers for different things. I have Vivaldi, chrome, firefox, opera and a whole host of linux ones installed. I synch between them on different machines. Vivaldi rocks my tab hoaring, I've got 50+ atm. I use chrome for development as it has excellent developer tools. Firefox for most 'browsing'. Opera when I want random vpn ( they have a free vpn system )

If you're using your comp at home on google, then turn on your VPN and refresh a page... you just connected the dots, you're not annon anymore. IF this is a truly important requirement then you know you need a kill switch and your vpn activation is your network kill/on switch.

Use a VM if not at home and doing anything vaguely important. You can run your own for/from about $2.5 a month and a bit of reading ( project striesland on github ).

@camelspyyder there is evidence a good hack can get out of a VM. YouTube SecurityNow Steve Gibson. One of the episodes this year.

Finally... the easy bit... can you rebuild your machine today? IF not then back it up, then do it. In win95 up to win 7 I used to rebuild my win machines once a month or quarter. 

The easiest bit, as much as computers help us, anything you put on one, is public and lost forever. If that bothers you, adapt or don't send your bank details on an email, the modern day postcard :D

Edited by ColinD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Easy to set Windows 7 to not record browsing history.

One can also specify that a click to open a new tab/page will open a private page that is not tracked.

Software called BetterPrivacy (free) removes those sneaky LSOs automatically or manually.

Backup frequently onto an external HD, which should be disconnected when not being used for backup or recovery.

Pay cash for petrol and restaurants and never carry a contactless card!

• 2 weeks later...

Ccleaner will clean all of this, but it can be set not to delete sign on data from selected sites, so that for example, you can save Briskoda sign on   .

• Like 1