Remap is it worthwhile

Had a Shark STS for my Altea company car, it was great. Ben knows his stuff at Shark. Asked him for something mild (as it was a leased company car) and thats what I had - car did 180k's with no problem and is still going well as it ended up with a friend.

• Like 1

I had my 184 vRS remapped properly and it makes such a huge difference.

The garage that did the work use a rolling dyno so before the remap, they told me that it was producing 197bhp from the factory and 431Nm of torque - both figures being higher than quoted by Skoda as stock.

After the remap, it now produce 226bhp and 502 Nm of torque and it's the increase in torque that you really notice in all gears. Put your foot down in 6th at a relatively low speed and it just pulls like a train while the scenery flashes past!!

Even with the remap, I still average low to mid 50's mpg.

• Like 4

@dunc69 tuning/power boxes are connected to the cables of the sensors (air,pressure,whatever) and/or injectors. They do trick the fuel/air/pressure combination and ECU compensates with more fuel or boost pressure.

Some of them add additional pulse to the lenght of the fuel injector cycle and pump additional fuel per cycle.

Not all of vendors have descriptions but in general this is the idea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TTodorov said:

@dunc69 tuning/power boxes are connected to the cables of the sensors (air,pressure,whatever) and/or injectors. They do trick the fuel/air/pressure combination and ECU compensates with more fuel or boost pressure.

Some of them add additional pulse to the lenght of the fuel injector cycle and pump additional fuel per cycle.

Not all of vendors have descriptions but in general this is the idea.

Would you choose one over a remap then? If you had bought a new car and had warranty what would be the safest bet? 

Both of them are trackable by motivated service.

However the box is much safer bet for a new car and less obvious by the service, when removed.

My current car will not see any of those in the warranty period. Not sure of all the side defects. Planning to keep it for longer period.

I had the TDI VRS re-mapped a few weeks ago and put the REVO stage 1 map on.

The car is now a very quick estate and shows up cars would cost quite a bit more. Its defiantly producing a lot more torque in the low end of the rev range, and the shove from 40 - 70 is very addictive through the DSG box.

I do roughly 60 miles a day 6 days a week (without personal mileage) with a mix of 50/50 motorway and town. The re-map has made perhaps a 1mpg decrease in my average consumption. Averaging 46mpg at the moment.

I went with REVO because I used them for all my ford's and never had an issue with any of their maps, and they have a pretty good following.

I know this would now fully invalidate any SKODA warranty repair, but since its a 2014 is come to the end of its warranty life cycle anyway.

I cant comment on any of the DTUK boxes as id never heard of them before biting the bullet and buying a diesel!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VRSrobster said:

I had the TDI VRS re-mapped a few weeks ago and put the REVO stage 1 map on.

The car is now a very quick estate and shows up cars would cost quite a bit more. Its defiantly producing a lot more torque in the low end of the rev range, and the shove from 40 - 70 is very addictive through the DSG box.

I do roughly 60 miles a day 6 days a week (without personal mileage) with a mix of 50/50 motorway and town. The re-map has made perhaps a 1mpg decrease in my average consumption. Averaging 46mpg at the moment.

I went with REVO because I used them for all my ford's and never had an issue with any of their maps, and they have a pretty good following.

I know this would now fully invalidate any SKODA warranty repair, but since its a 2014 is come to the end of its warranty life cycle anyway.

I cant comment on any of the DTUK boxes as id never heard of them before biting the bullet and buying a diesel!

Thanks, thats really useful to hear from someone who has had some tuning on the diesel engine. I will have warranty as its a new car so to be safer im opting for a tuning box, this way i can unclip it and argue the toss with the dealer if it comes to it. For me, having that extra bhp and torque is a bmw..golf...beater at the lights which is money well spent :-)

On 8/3/2017 at 22:18, dunc69 said:

So I think I understand a remap - the ECU's software is altered to provide more power and torque from the engine? This is usually permanent but can be turned on and off if you buy additional plug-in equipment? E.g. The Shark Self Tuning System (STS) which allows you to switch between your new map and your standard one. 

But, how does a tuning box work? Is it simply a removable box that fits into the car alongside the ECU and amends the signal sent to the ECU?

Cheers. 

Tuning box just plugs into a few connectors & alters the signal, if you turn it off the car reacts as stock, as it does if you remove the box.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deeejay1054 said:

Thanks, thats really useful to hear from someone who has had some tuning on the diesel engine. I will have warranty as its a new car so to be safer im opting for a tuning box, this way i can unclip it and argue the toss with the dealer if it comes to it. For me, having that extra bhp and torque is a bmw..golf...beater at the lights which is money well spent :-)

The TDI has a very easy fitmemt of the DTUK tuning box, every sensor you need to get at is accessible from above ie. under the hood whereas, the TSI boost sensor is a right PITA

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2017 at 00:04, Deeejay1054 said:

has anyone fitted a pedal box with the tuning box too, as I'm curious how much of a difference with a pedal box it makes.. ?

I have both tuning box and pedal box DTUK. I bought the tuning box first which on a diesel is a 20 minute fit . The hardest bit is pulling the tight connectors apart for the first time. The car felt awesome to drive after fitting. Then about 2 months later i bought the pedal box and its like having a remap on a remap, well worth the money. I have a fault with car so mines going in to the dealer so i took both off yesterday all done under 15 minutes. I now have to question why i bought the car in its standard form as it feels dull.  And the warranty claim is not engine related. One thing i will say though is i have never had a new set of tyres in 13000 miles ever. As much as i try to restrict my right foot i just cant help myself. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2017 at 15:50, Gabbo said:

This is the main advantage of a good tuning box, there are no visible signs or software fingerprints after you have removed it.

If you are comfortable witholding information from the dealer when you take the car in.

They'd only have to look at the boost logs and figure out what's been going on... If you over fuel a diesel or over boost a petrol engine, it is possible to spot that it has been tampered with. I guess without the hard evidence there's an element of your word vs their's, but your going to have to lie your pants off to get away with it. Some people are ok with that, others less so. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, stever750 said:

They'd only have to look at the boost logs and figure out what's been going on... If you over fuel a diesel or over boost a petrol engine, it is possible to spot that it has been tampered with. I guess without the hard evidence there's an element of your word vs their's, but your going to have to lie your pants off to get away with it. Some people are ok with that, others less so. 

has the car ever had a tuning box fitted or a remap done ........................................ no! :)

have you carried out any modifications to the engine at all .............................. errrrrr no! :) 

Edited by Deeejay1054

Indeed, so explain these ridiculous logs then sir? You can't, then we won't fix your motor sir. Not all dealers are stupid and or generous. Some are definitely the latter, but a whiff of a lying customer and you're marked out. 

Deeejay1045,  maybe you think it is an internet myth were a owner is asked to sign a warranty claim and are asked the question on any non factory approved 

engine management being used because a Warranty Claim is an Insurance Claim and a fraudulent statement would be attempting to commit fraud.

Then a Loss Adjuster checks Social Media / Car Forums and asks to see your Insurance Schedule.

You get the option to cancel your Warranty Claim, or pay for work carried out under the Warranty.

Seems far fetched, but do your research and you will find that fact is stranger than fiction.

Commission is quite good on saving a Manufacturer / Underwriter several thousand pounds.

3 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Deeejay1045,  maybe you think it is an internet myth were a owner is asked to sign a warranty claim and are asked the question on any non factory approved 

engine management being used because a Warranty Claim is an Insurance Claim and a fraudulent statement would be attempting to commit fraud.

Then a Loss Adjuster checks Social Media / Car Forums and asks to see your Insurance Schedule.

You get the option to cancel your Warranty Claim, or pay for work carried out under the Warranty.

Seems far fetched, but do your research and you will find that fact is stranger than fiction.

Commission is quite good on saving a Manufacturer / Underwriter several thousand pounds.

ok dont shoot the messenger guys.. i was just pointing out you could tell pork pies that's all, it's up to the individual i guess :)

Thing is, before I mapped my leon I did a lot of research and found a couple of absolute horror stories from a couple of Golf R owners. VW sent the ecu back to Germany to be interrogated and once they found out that the cars clearly hadn't been run at standard parameters then they went after them big time, including threat of legal action from vw finance for breach of contract. So I asked seat UK and finance if I could modify my car, (they were OK with it)  plus I  also asked them if mine fell into the build dates with the dodgy IHI turbos, they said it didnt. They told me that it would void any warranty on the turbo and associated parts, plus, I also told the dealer I'd done it. 12 months later mine failed as well, and it was repaired under warranty. I never had an explicit conversation with them about it, but I doubt they'd not figured out it's history. By the way, this isn't a recommendation of what to do, just one example vs two in probably  thousands, but it's worth bearing in mind. I have also bought five cars from them too, maybe that played a part, I simply don't know and don't really want to ask, just in case.

Edited by stever750
  • Thanks 1

As it happens, I'm seriously considering having mine done, but I want to certain of the relative fragility of the engine, and a less than brutal torque curve to minimise the stressing on the engine and the clutch. I'd rather a 20bhp / 50Nm improvement than a game of chase the numbers with a tuning box, though I'm  sure you can start from the gentle end and work up through the settings rather than smash it from the off and work back until limp mode is no longer invoked. 

On 7/29/2017 at 19:01, donny1972 said:

I was thinking of getting my TDI vrs remapped. Would like to hear from owners who have had this done and what difference it makes to performance and mpg. Been quoted 240 quid for a stage 1. 

Buy cheap, buy twice

Overboosting turbos ain't something I'd want just anybody doing

47 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Buy cheap, buy twice

Overboosting turbos ain't something I'd want just anybody doing

A local business is quoting £189 and trying to convince me that bench flashing means no counter means no TD1 flag. I'm sceptical  

7 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Qsum counter on the ecu, no remap will get past that but, once they've got your money they don't care.

Here's their quote:

No, the earlier edc16 ecus they used to look at flash counters, but we could and still can reset them back to zero.
The newer edc17 ecu's are antitune, they don't actually look at flash counters, a copy is actually uploaded to vw main which automatically checksum and finds differences. Also because there's no read via obd, once flashed back to stock the counter is always flashed back to zero.
Or if we bench flash either ecu then the flash counter is bypassed anyway! 

We sell the t - shirts ;)

• Haha 1