Remap is it worthwhile

Best to remember,

When you own cars you can please yourself, when just renting them or they are on tick and they are someone elses property the sharn can hit the fan.

25 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Best to remember,

When you own cars you can please yourself, when just renting them or they are on tick and they are someone elses property the sharn can hit the fan.

Anyone who says mumf instead of month,  but anyway despite that what a tedious pratt. 

Edited by stever750

Back to the op. I'm feeling the urge, a very strong urge to drive for 5 hours to Mansfield, but wait...., help is at hand, and it might be called gluon. On the fly diagnosis and tweaking, oh yes! 

Edited by stever750
  • Like 2

As a lesson on how not to mod cars maybe try watching his Fabia Mk2 vRS Vids and the Audi S3 ones with quite a few mods between the 2, and never done right.... 

I see he has a new 'name' in the latest vids.  'Road tested on private roads in some South American Country....

Edited by Headinawayoffski

I am trying to work out how in the event of a warranty claim could the dealer workout that a tuning box was fitted.

From what I understand the tuning boxes intercept fuel pressure and boost pressure signals and report to the ECU a lower value causing the ecu to request more fuel or boost as required, so for example in the event of a turbo failure the logs wouldn't show any over boost all I could see is that they would see an higher request for boost signal due to a lower boost pressure (if they were to correlate request for boost with actual boost), which could be symptomatic of a faulty turbo.

If anyone could explain what is stored in the logs that would be appreciated.

The dealer woudn't be able to prove a box was connected. There are stories of TB1-flag's, but this would be an indicator for rogue-signal receipt and not proof of tampering.

The biggest risk will be crashing the car without adequate insurance, so make sure the insurer knows.

10 hours ago, Gadget007 said:

I am trying to work out how in the event of a warranty claim could the dealer workout that a tuning box was fitted.

From what I understand the tuning boxes intercept fuel pressure and boost pressure signals and report to the ECU a lower value causing the ecu to request more fuel or boost as required, so for example in the event of a turbo failure the logs wouldn't show any over boost all I could see is that they would see an higher request for boost signal due to a lower boost pressure (if they were to correlate request for boost with actual boost), which could be symptomatic of a faulty turbo.

If anyone could explain what is stored in the logs that would be appreciated.

They can see from the logs that the car has operating "outside standard opperating parameters" or it went ****loads faster than it should have

2 hours ago, Orville said:

The biggest risk will be crashing the car without adequate insurance, so make sure the insurer knows.

Always best to declare it you might be pleasantly surprised. I had no change to my policy  and it may prove difficult to remove a tuning box when your front end is stoved in. 

19 hours ago, stever750 said:

Back to the op. I'm feeling the urge, a very strong urge to drive for 5 hours to Mansfield, but wait...., help is at hand, and it might be called gluon. On the fly diagnosis and tweaking, oh yes! 

Ah, but you can't beat a custom map on the rollers, especially from Shark.

My map's pretty conservative, but I'm happy that it's mechanically sympathetic and I still get awesome performance.

288bhp and 467NM is pretty decent :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orville said:

The dealer woudn't be able to prove a box was connected. There are stories of TB1-flag's, but this would be an indicator for rogue-signal receipt and not proof of tampering.

Only a total moron would not declare a mid to the insurance company, it's akin to drink driving, and completely different proposition to hiding a remap from the dealer warranty. It's not even a point to debate, it's mandatory. 

22 minutes ago, stu83 said:

Ah, but you can't beat a custom map on the rollers, especially from Shark.

My map's pretty conservative, but I'm happy that it's mechanically sympathetic and I still get awesome performance.

288bhp and 467NM is pretty decent :-)

I like the look of those figures. Enough to make a difference without frying the clutch. By the way,  gluon is shark.. 

Edited by stever750

Remapped yesterday my year old rs tdi 4x4 and happy with it, 185 is little meh..

Went for custom map, instead of bulk ones ( revo, bsr, apr ), atleast works like a charm.

Dont have had much luck on lottery, so got 218hp 456nm, 2hp away from magical 220 i was hoping ;P

If would like for more power, best option would propably be to change turbo for next size and better cooling, and then could go 250+ ez ;)

Comparing not declaring a mod to drink driving is a bit **** to be fair. They're massively different morally. Getting in a car while drunk is a decision to drive a vehicle knowing full well you are unfit to control a vehicle. Modifying a car is perfectly legal and does not isolation, increase risk or probability of an accident, although an actuary will have a different view. And in both cases, if you have an accident, an insurer cannot devoid itself of its liability to any 3rd party victim.

It may well come after you for subsequently for costs due to breach of terms but in relation to any victims of an accident either directly attributed to the modification or not, they still have to pay. After all, it's not the victims fault.

What's 'gluon' btw? Aside from a subatomic particle.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

I disagree. Driving without declaring a mod is akin to driving without any insurance, which means putting someones livelihood at risk if you cause an accident. Drink driving is an equally thoughtless action, though the chances of having an accident are of course massively increased. 

This is gluon! 

https://www.gluon.com/how-it-works/

Edited by stever750

Either way, if you're deliberately misleading your insurer then you deserve everything that comes your way, legal or illegal. I'd be very surprised if every underwriter would settle immediately if they discovered undeclared mods, especially performance enhancing that might have contributed to the accident. You can bet they will try to fight it, especially if it's a big claim, so at best the victim would potentially be put through additional hassle and delays to receive compensation. I'll be persuaded differently if there is an alternative scenario as precedent, but very surprised! 

3rd part claims are covered by the underwriter,

then the person taking out the policy might be, may be, could be, can be  pursued over the cost to the underwriter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/07/2017 at 19:01, donny1972 said:

I was thinking of getting my TDI vrs remapped. Would like to hear from owners who have had this done and what difference it makes to performance and mpg. Been quoted 240 quid for a stage 1. 

Had mine remapped over the weekend and had the EGR blanked ! Like night and day in terms of driving worth every penny ! 

IMG_8662.JPG

• Like 1

When my Toyota was written off and a massive claim made - no one started checking the car for remaps etc.

Anyone heard of this ever being done?

3 minutes ago, donny1972 said:

Nice. Who did you get to do it and at what cost?

Answering this could get someone raided and records snatched and people prosecuted

I've been through a few tuning options on other cars. Started off with one of the first DTUK tuning boxes and hated it, whilst it gave a lot of extra power it was very crude too. I got  rid of it for a Superchips Bluefin which was a marked improvement over the DTUK, not as much power but a lot more refined. I had problems with the Bluefin though and had to take it off. Superchips were very helpful and provided additional maps to try but the problem persisted, eventually they refunded me. I then had the custom map done which was very good, smooth as you want it to be but when you planted your foot it was off.

I then got the Skoda Octavia and knew it wasn't going to be a keeper so didn't touch it. I now have a 3 series diesel and had the chance of a ridiculously cheap DTUK CRD3. I got it just out of curiosity to see what they were like now with the three channel setup. I was surprised at just how good it is compared to a remap and I'm running it on the milder side.  The beauty is you can fit it yourself within 30mins and remove it just as quick. If you sell the car it can be easily removed and sold on or fitted to another car of the same engine type or returned to DTUK for a new loom and reprogram for different car.  

If you share the car with your partner you can also switch it off if they don't like the extra power, something that would be useful for winter too when the last thing you need is more torque in the snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

I've been through a few tuning options on other cars. Started off with one of the first DTUK tuning boxes and hated it, whilst it gave a lot of extra power it was very crude too. I got  rid of it for a Superchips Bluefin which was a marked improvement over the DTUK, not as much power but a lot more refined. I had problems with the Bluefin though and had to take it off. Superchips were very helpful and provided additional maps to try but the problem persisted, eventually they refunded me. I then had the custom map done which was very good, smooth as you want it to be but when you planted your foot it was off.

I then got the Skoda Octavia and knew it wasn't going to be a keeper so didn't touch it. I now have a 3 series diesel and had the chance of a ridiculously cheap DTUK CRD3. I got it just out of curiosity to see what they were like now with the three channel setup. I was surprised at just how good it is compared to a remap and I'm running it on the milder side.  The beauty is you can fit it yourself within 30mins and remove it just as quick. If you sell the car it can be easily removed and sold on or fitted to another car of the same engine type or returned to DTUK for a new loom and reprogram for different car.  

If you share the car with your partner you can also switch it off if they don't like the extra power, something that would be useful for winter too when the last thing you need is more torque in the snow.

What if you have an accident and your injured and unable to remove box? Good chance your insurance company would find the box and you could find yourself thousands out of pocket.