Remap is it worthwhile

2 hours ago, TTodorov said:

Sorry if I ask stupid questions but as far as I understand the box will just trick the engine to boost more the turbo and in parallel inject extra fuel. And this means it still has MAP from the factory to know what to do. Which means that it uses the extra safe tollerance by the engine originally planned,right?

As for the clutch and the DPF no one has answers but as I read, their life is not affected, or not by much?

No. The ECU map will think it is telling the various components to operate at X but the tuning box is actually making them operate at Y or even Z but as far as the ECU is concerned it is still operating at X so if anything a tuning box is more dangerous than an actual map created by someone who knows what they are doing as the box can override any safe guards in place.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CWARD said:

No. The ECU map will think it is telling the various components to operate at X but the tuning box is actually making them operate at Y or even Z but as far as the ECU is concerned it is still operating at X so if anything a tuning box is more dangerous than an actual map created by someone who knows what they are doing as the box can override any safe guards in place.

The counter-argument is that a well-designed, programmed and thoroughly tested tuning-box will be safer than a poorly programmed and tested remap. Google "Tuned GTI Turbo Failures", and most fatalities derive from ECU remaps being too agressive. The weakest link on these engines are the turbos, and remaps tend to push the PSI envelope more than (less powerful) tuning-boxes.

Of course, a poor tuning-box is a big risk.

Hence why I said "an actual map created by someone who knows what they are doing" 

The weakest link in any car isn't any of the components but the person sat behind the steering wheel, what they do in controlling it and who/what they allow to modify it is all down to them and not the car.

16 hours ago, TTodorov said:

Sorry if I ask stupid questions but as far as I understand the box will just trick the engine to boost more the turbo and in parallel inject extra fuel. And this means it still has MAP from the factory to know what to do. Which means that it uses the extra safe tollerance by the engine originally planned,right?

As for the clutch and the DPF no one has answers but as I read, their life is not affected, or not by much?

The box fools the ecu by posting offset sensor values. The engine is still stressed more than standard, you don't get extra force or power without consequences. A tuning box and a remap both stress the engine more than standard, and by similar amounts. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TTodorov said:

The number of questions posed and the lack of commitment does suggest you have a head v. heart conflict.

Sure it is easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm of those who have enhanced their vehicles but do you really need it or the possible consequences of utilising the extra performance.

You bought a 'sensible' and practical vehicle that offers slightly better than average performance and with potential for very good economy compared to others in its price range.

Even with a tuning box or remap you are not going to be the 'king of the traffic light grand-prix', or you could end up like in 'Back to the Future' without a time machine for a second chance. Use the performance and you will need to replace tyres and clutches more frequently, the wet box DSG is more durable than the manual clutch.

I'll offer you the same advice I was given when I asked for directions in a remote part of Ireland "Well sorr, I wouldn't start from here"

If you truly need more performance then you'd be off getting something more appropriate such as a VRS, a Merc but not a BMW ( their indicators never work) or something really fast like a white van 'cos  those damn things can move. :)

• Like 3