Infant seats in 3rd row with seat belt fitting?

Just wondering if this is possible or not recommended due to safety. When considering this car I came to the conclusion that the back row seats are going to be awkward to use as the middle row only has isofix points on the outer seats, meaning with twins on the way the access to the rear seats for anyone else would be blocked by the installation of infant seats and iso fix bases. To get in you'd then have to remove seats and bases. This led me to think that if one infant seat could be attached with seat belt in the 3rd row one side of the middle row could be left empty and therefore giving easier access to the third row. This would be something I'd consider for occasional trips out with grandparents in the car. My wife could then go in the third row with one child, and my mother or father in the 2nd row with the other.

Only information I've seen suggests that the rear seats aren't tested to the same safety standards are the others by Euro Ncap. Just wondered if anyone else had considered or looked into this.

It's going to be very tricky getting the car seat and the infant in the 3rd row. Also, the space between the 3rd and 2nd row is smaller, so you'll need to check whether the car seat will fit at all. 

I once put my 3 year old in the front passenger seat in a front facing child seat with the seat pushed as far back as possible (to stay clear of the expanding airbag in case of an accident). The second child seat went in the 2nd row, and 1 small adult in the 3rd row.

Edited by bigboss
  • Thanks 1

I've had a booster cushion in row 3, but haven't yet tried my non-Isofix seat in row 3. I think I will happily try it soon.

I deliberately chose a non-Isofix seat to join my "fleet" of kiddy chairs, because it is much lighter and easier to manhandle than the Isofix models. My Size 1 Isofix base plus separate seat weighs a ton. Or maybe 2.

So I can play with the options. 1 or 2 Isofix seats in row 2. Either booster cushion or non-Isofix in front seat.

Booster cushion or non-Isofix in row 3.

Throwing a kid or 2 into row 3 does allow an adult or 2 to join the Isofix seat in row 3.

ps - my daughter's S Max happily accommodates 3 big Isofix seats in row 2 (just for a comparison)

pps - I like Recaro seats

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

ps - my daughter's S Max happily accommodates 3 big Isofix seats in row 2 (just for a comparison)

Yeah, I test drove a 200ps+ S-Max Titanum X. Was nice but my last two cars have been VAG and sort of used to them. Plus the S-Max dash was like something out of a space shuttle cockpit! Still an improvement over the older Ford style of "giant early model nokia phone".

Thanks for the feedback on the child seat options.

Edited by Zapirian

Is a SEAT Alhambra a total no no?

Proper 3 seats in 2nd row. movable. the extra 2 seats behind can be useful. Space aplenty for luggage and not as long as a Superb.

Sliding rear doors, electric.

The 1.4TSI is now only available as a manual though, the one with a DSG was pretty poor IMO.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Is a SEAT Alhambra a total no no?

Proper 3 seats in 2nd row. movable. the extra 2 seats behind can be useful. Space aplenty for luggage and not as long as a Superb.

Sliding rear doors, electric.

The 1.4TSI is now only available as a manual though, the one with a DSG was pretty poor IMO.

Still considering the likes of the S-Max and Alhambra, but the 7 seats would be occasional use and after my father having had an older generaiton Citroen Picasso I'm kinda adverse to anything MPVish even though I want to carry multiple people in a vehicle at times:)