Beginners questions.

Trev2

As a complete novice, I have a couple of questions about this dark art you call detailing.

Snowfoam:- how long do I leave it to soak before rinsing it off?

Two bucket method:- do I use water out the hot tap, warm or cold?

After waxing, is there a "magic bullet" product which will bring out the best shine possible?

Incidently, the Monty is "Kawasaki" ( Rally :biggrin:) green, if that makes a difference.

( Sorry about that, ex Kwak rider, three of them)

Great questions.. 

Snow foam.. dependant on which you purchase between 5/7 minutes usually for me whilst all gaps and crevices are cleaned with a detailing brush & all purpose cleaner. 

The two bucket method... for me it literally depends on the weather. As daft as it sounds... 

Hot water is always best but in extremely warm weather, the cold water cools the panel down.. so either or really. 

After waxing I usually wait around an hour and then a final wipe down with a quick detailer usually finishes down nicely.

Cheers. 

Karl. 

• Like 2

A "quick Detailer" is a spray on wax which can be used to get rid of water marks or to top up a wax or polish finish. Can be used on all manner of surfaces interior, engine bay, plastics etc. Helps remove dust and bird poo that isn't too stubborn. Great stuff and help panels bead in the rain. A typical product that is easily available is Autoglym's "Rapid Detailer". Apply with a clean micro fibre and buff off with a polishing cloth or clean MF. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, threadbear said:

A "quick Detailer" is a spray on wax which can be used to get rid of water marks or to top up a wax or polish finish. Can be used on all manner of surfaces interior, engine bay, plastics etc. Helps remove dust and bird poo that isn't too stubborn. Great stuff and help panels bead in the rain. A typical product that is easily available is Autoglym's "Rapid Detailer". Apply with a clean micro fibre and buff off with a polishing cloth or clean MF. 

Many thanks :)

Love quick detailer 

Can be used as a drying aid if not polishing to prevent water spots 

No magic product to bring the best shine possible I am sorry to say

the shine will be determined by the steps leading up to the wax the key is in the prep 

It really depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go 

Me personally I love detailing cara and will easily spend an entire day doing it ..

I look on it more as a hobby or a passion 

All I will say is find one you like from the millions out there 

Start at meguairs and autoglym  as they are 

A) very user friendly and can give great results 

B ):readily available

C) usually on 3for2 at halfords 

I am a meguairs man myself it works for me and gives me great results

I'll be happy to assist 

• Like 1

Thank you:) 

Got everything I need except the quick detailer so a quick trip to Halfrauds is in order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another question please.

Just rinsed, snowfoamed, rinsed, washed (two bucket with wash mitt, wheels seperate bucket.) rinsed, then dried with two mircofibre towels.  It's going straight in the garage now, and will be polished tomorrow.  Question;- can I just throw the mitt and m/f towels in the washing machine? TIA.

Edited by Trev2
typo

3 hours ago, Trev2 said:

Yet another question please.

Just rinsed, snowfoamed, rinsed, washed (two bucket with wash mitt, wheels seperate bucket.) rinsed, then dried with two mircofibre towels.  It's going straight in the garage now, and will be polished tomorrow.  Question;- can I just throw the mitt and m/f towels in the washing machine? TIA.

I wouldn't throw the wash mitt in the washing machine unless its a microfibre one, only use a liquid detergent such as woolite or you can buy specific detergent to wash microfibre product with, definitely do not use fabric softeners. If you have access to a tumble dryer you can dry them but only use a warm setting otherwise allow to air dry.

• Thanks 1