High pressure in cooling system

Torbo

Then I got four nice cylinders. I will hone them tomorrow. New piston rings and new copper gaskes/ring in the bottom.

59c4182a5c3cf_nysylinder2IMG_7391lll.jpg.2765fce0df81ffb242406dc881339ab9.jpg59c4182956018_nyesylindreskodaIMG_7389ll.jpg.fac8f38b53831f5465c823b7e834a40a.jpg

The first thing to do is tapping oil, and stydy it. Water in oil?

Edited by Torbo

2 hours ago, Torbo said:

Then I got four nice cylinders. I will hone them tomorrow. New piston rings and new copper gaskes/ring in the bottom.

59c4182a5c3cf_nysylinder2IMG_7391lll.jpg.2765fce0df81ffb242406dc881339ab9.jpg59c4182956018_nyesylindreskodaIMG_7389ll.jpg.fac8f38b53831f5465c823b7e834a40a.jpg

The first thing to do is tapping oil, and stydy it. Water in oil?

A little honing: 

ny honet sylinder fabia IMG_7397 crop.jpg

To day the cylinders came out. A little surprise: The cylinder number 4 was very rusty along the bottom - beside the sealer ring. 

The crack in the first photo looks better now in other lights. May be not the main problem – not problem at all? Only a mark in the inside, and the top of the cylinders is very strong, no mark outside... So the cylinders should ben taken out when I changed the top gasket. I most adjust the hight perfect before I put the piston in. Messure first without sealer in bottom, and then put the right sealers on. The pistons was good, but they will get some new rings. And I will not use the same gasket - naturally.. When I was under the car I saw a rusty metal tube i the right side of the car. May be to se servo steering? The steering oil is falls on the container under the battery.

Some pictures go the engine.. 

sprekk runde to IMG_7419.jpg

rust på sylinder m stempelIMG_7429crop LL.jpg

blokka uten sylindreIMG_7433.jpg

åtte sylindreIMG_7436 crop.jpg

grums i blokka mot sylinderIMG_7430 lekk ll .jpg

blokka syl stempler 2 braIMG_7407.jpg

Edited by Torbo
a little more info..

No the engine is going good! I will drive it various, hard an light. And get it breaking in with mineral oil - about 2000 km.

I had to adjust the cylinder high with 0,05 to 0,10 mm to get them 0,15 mm over the engine top. First I measured without copper rings. Put the rings on and measured again and fine adjust to 0,10 - 0,15 mm over block. Before and after pictures under... Honed cylinders and new piston rings.

blokka m sylindre og stemplerIMG_7405.jpg

nye sylindre og stempler på plassIMG_7441 low.jpg

måle høyden på sylindrene IMG_7438 low.jpg

Edited by Torbo
got extra picture
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 11:36, TMB said:

^ Aww I love cats :biggrin:

I do to- under the plants, or as chased by my little terror.

She has no history of harming them- she loves to chase, catch them/turn them over /stand back and then chase again.

Edited by VWD

8 minutes ago, VWD said:

I do to- under the plants, or as chased by my little terror.

She has no history of harming them- she loves to chase, catch them/turn them over /stand back and then chase again.

:D

Thanks to both of you! Time will show if the job was good? I did my best anyway. Checket the valve clearanse to, let then be 0,3 mm. The manuas says 0,2,  but there is hydraulic lifters so I think this is more than enough. Since I took the valves also, I think I have more to go on...

The con rods had squirters, and I thought go to block then´m, but since this engine don't use oil, I did not do anything with them..

The bearings vas like new. So this was i cheap repair.... But mutch job, many screws, but only the half of the 1,2 engine i put in pieces . That engine is very quick now. Faster than this 1.4, less hk, but more torque in low rpm. Funny.?..- may be because that I moved the camshaft about 3 degrees forward?

The engine characteristic is very unlike!???

May be a better cam? ore modern curves?

It has a little lower gear - 200 rpm higher, 3000 rpm in 100 km/t than the 1,4 that has 2800 rpm  in 100 km/t.?

May be my 1,4 camshaft is wear? It looks god visible?

I did not do anything with the camshaft, it can wait... 

Was a bit tired today when I had a birthday yesterday and celebrated .. (67 year)... 

No I can sing : 

I have to do some normal work to to morrow... at least planning things, and go to Stockholm for some days in business... 

Other problem:

But I saw some problems with at steering tube, that was rusted! - and sweating... under the left side in front... 

Made a new tread of that... 

Need good advises here.... 

But no go to bed ....

But think of to get better speed in my Volvo...

Like this...?

min duett IMG_1444 ll.jpg

Edited by Torbo

2 minutes ago, Torbo said:

The con rods had squirters, and I thought go to block then´m, but since this engine don't use oil, I did not do anything with them..

The jets are to cool the piston crown, you need them on a lean burn engine because the piston crown gets too hot otherwise.

• Like 1

Thanks for info! I was thinking of to get the oil consumption so low as possible, and the car is not used hard, so it would be ok?

But the engine did not use oil before the overhauling, so why shall it use more oil now? Best to save the pistons, yes. There is some other user for the car, so standard must be best... Hope so...

Now I will turn the head bolts 1/4 turn to safe the head gasket. As I remember from Fiat garage we do that to get longer life on the gasket.

Hope the engine will go many years now...? 

On 1. oktober 2017 at 19:12, Torbo said:

Now I will turn the head bolts 1/4 turn to safe the head gasket. As I remember from Fiat garage we do that to get longer life on the gasket.

Hope the engine will go many years now...? 

I am not sure this is a good idea  on this engine, since the head bolt is pretty thin an they have a high torque? May be after a year, then the gasket has get thinner after farm cold prosesses over a long period? 

14 hours ago, Wino said:

Do them to the specified torque and angle, no more, no less. :)

Yes! No more or less! If you can remove what I said to b sure? I also mean 1/8 turn extra and not 1/4. i write to quickly... Sorry!

The 1/8 turns was taken after long time... 10 000 km or more, as I remember.. But since it i comfusing and risky on dry bolts it is best to take the advice away? 

We var doing this for many year ago, and I don't remember the cases good enough!