Yokohoma v Goodyear

MillsyVRS

Time has almost come to change the god awful pirellis that my car came with. They also came on my previous car and I didn't like them on that either. They're loud, not very economical, don't last long and not particularly confidence inspiring in the wet either. Just in my opinion anyway. The two I'm currently looking at are the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's that I had on my previous car before I sold it and thought they were excellent. Really sticky, quiet, and noticeably better on fuel than the Pirelli's. The other ones I was looking at the Yokohoma Advan Fleva V701. Reason for looking at this tyre is purely because like the Goodyears, they are rated at under 70db, have a C rating for fuel economy and an A for wet grip.

Does anyone have any other experience of the above two, or recommend any others? 

We have a full set of eagle F1's on the girlfriends car (mk2 fab vRS) and they are pretty good, certainly keep you stuck to the ground when you wanna give it some beans anyway. 

1 hour ago, LGM said:

We have a full set of eagle F1's on the girlfriends car (mk2 fab vRS) and they are pretty good, certainly keep you stuck to the ground when you wanna give it some beans anyway. 

Yeah I found they were good as well but thought I'd find out if anyone had any other experience of those or the others. For comparison, on black circles the Yokohomas are £123 a corner and the Goodyears are £146 a corner in the size I want, so over £90 extra for the F1's :/

What size are you after?  The 205/40's have a nice lip on the Tyre to protect the alloy.

ive got Michelin PS3's on mine and they're absolutely fantastic. 205/40's are £103 a corner on oponeo.

Edited by LGM

23 hours ago, tweenster said:

I've just bought a set of the Yokos; having them fitted tomorrow. Will let you know what I think; the 67Db rating was what swung it for me.

Thanks, please do!

hd the Eagle f1s on the civic and ddnt rate them to be honest.  grippy in the dry but noisy and not great in the wet imho.  have switched to vredestein ultrac sessantas and found them much better...

28 minutes ago, skomaz said:

hd the Eagle f1s on the civic and ddnt rate them to be honest.  grippy in the dry but noisy and not great in the wet imho.  have switched to vredestein ultrac sessantas and found them much better...

Is that the new/newish F1 Asymmetric 3's your talking about or the previous ones? Got quite a good/low noise rating

24 minutes ago, MillsyVRS said:

Is that the new/newish F1 Asymmetric 3's your talking about or the previous ones? Got quite a good/low noise rating

ahh fair point...   the ones i had were assy 2s not 3s and the 3s are now closer to the sessanatas on noise if not quite as low

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:04, tweenster said:

I've just bought a set of the Yokos; having them fitted tomorrow. Will let you know what I think; the 67Db rating was what swung it for me.

Initial impressions are very positive. They are noticeably quieter than the Kumhos that were on before, but that's hardly surprising considering the 6Db rating difference. They also appear to have made a noticeable difference in mpg, although it may be too early to tell if this was just freak conditions or a genuine improvement. I will get a clearer picture after a week of commuting. I'm not likely to test ultimate grip levels do on the road but will see whether they inspire confidence n the wet; they are A rated for wet grip so I am hoping for good things.

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2017 at 20:42, tweenster said:

Initial impressions are very positive. They are noticeably quieter than the Kumhos that were on before, but that's hardly surprising considering the 6Db rating difference. They also appear to have made a noticeable difference in mpg, although it may be too early to tell if this was just freak conditions or a genuine improvement. I will get a clearer picture after a week of commuting. I'm not likely to test ultimate grip levels do on the road but will see whether they inspire confidence n the wet; they are A rated for wet grip so I am hoping for good things.

How have the tyres been so far? I really think I want the goodyears, but the Yokohomas are about £20-£30 a corner cheaper which would save me a fair amount. Might see if I can find out how long they last for, don't want to buy a set of tyres that don't last long and only have to be replaced shortly after.

12 hours ago, MillsyVRS said:

How have the tyres been so far? I really think I want the goodyears, but the Yokohomas are about £20-£30 a corner cheaper which would save me a fair amount. Might see if I can find out how long they last for, don't want to buy a set of tyres that don't last long and only have to be replaced shortly after.

Very very impressed. We've had a mix of weather this week and the tyres have been good in all conditions; I even deliberately drove through standing water to see what happened and they tracked straight and true with no loss of traction. Did I mention they were quiet? Very quiet in fact!

I am so impressed I am planning to put them on Mrs T's Fabia VRS when it needs new boots; the Fabia VRS is one car that REALLY needs the noise reduction.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2017 at 17:04, tweenster said:

What size did you get and are they xl ( extra load ) because I'll be looking 2 rear tyres for my superb soon. Thanks

19 hours ago, charliesuperb said:

What size did you get and are they xl ( extra load ) because I'll be looking 2 rear tyres for my superb soon. Thanks

They were fitted to a Fabia Estate so 205/45WR16 XL.