Windscreen cracked

Hi everyone,my Kodiaq is now 3 weeks old,I got into it the other day and noticed a 2 inch crack in the windscreen coming down from the top edge in my line of sight ,now I am very sure nothing has hit my screen,are there any other owners who have had a similiar problem,I am going to take it to my dealer as I think it's a fault in the way it was fitted ,thanks 

Let us know how you got on please.

This could be an interesting 'test case' if others experience similar issues.

Check with Škoda about warranty impact if having the screen replaced by a 3rd Party.  Some manufacturers will state that unless it is refitted in accordance with OEM procedures they will not cover the area below the screen.  I had to have 2 screens replaced on my BMWs and both had to be done by them.  The car insurance cover paid for them (less my excess) so no issue,  but they were £700 fitted.

The overwhelming majority of such cases (where a crack suddenly 'appears' without apparent cause) is usually attributed to impact damage.

If, in the OP's case, the crack appears to be traveling from from an edge (the top edge in this case) I would suggest impact in the black obscured border to be the cause. The edge of the windscreen is the weakest part of a windscreen and such damage (usually a stone) can go undetected until a crack extends into view. 

Qualification for this opinion: nearly three decades in the glass and windscreen (repair and replacement) industry.

The best was to check is to run something like a metal scriber, or ball-point pen (the idea is that it will follow the crack) up and down (gently). If there is an impact, not often visible to the eye, you'll 'feel' it.

• Like 1

Your problem will be if there are add-ons to the basic screen, obviously a heated screen costs more, but its even worse if you have things like the lane departure cameras as they need to be re-calibrated (apparently can take 2 people hours to set up accurately),  and many dealers (even some large ones) haven't yet bought the calibration equipment so have to send the car away.

You know what options you have fitted, so phone the dealer and ensure they can actually do the work.  

Thanks for everyones input, i can assure you my windscreen has not been hit by anything, i have spoken to the dealer who will get back to me,my vehicle does have

the lane recognition cameras fitted so that will be interesting,i will update once they have got back to me,i have been quoted £ 270 fitted by national windcreens,availability is not an

issue apparently,

16 minutes ago, Mdpwood said:

Thanks for everyones input, i can assure you my windscreen has not been hit by anything, i have spoken to the dealer who will get back to me,my vehicle does have

the lane recognition cameras fitted so that will be interesting,i will update once they have got back to me,i have been quoted £ 270 fitted by national windcreens,availability is not an

issue apparently,

270 seems too cheap for a genuine, OE screen.

If there is no impact, why are you getting quotes? Surely, a warranty claim should be going back to the OEM via one of their dealers?

The reason I got some quotes is simple really,my windscreen was cracked,I don't no if Skoda will mend it under warranty,so I got some quotes,why wouldn't i

It's perfectly reasonable to get quotes while checking with Skoda whether it'll be repaired under warranty. If it's only a repair (rather than replacement), then any repairer should be fine. However, if it involves replacing the windscreen, it's better for Skoda to do it, to ensure the various techs involved (like lane departure or heated windscreen if you have one) don't get affected. Either way, worth speaking to Skoda anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windscreen update ,as I imagined Skoda don't want to know about the cracked 

windscreen,Not a major issue as I have windscreen insurance,I am insured with Direct Line which is a big company here in the U.K.,So I ring Ensurance up to tell them I need a windscreen so they can contact my insurers,I was then told Direct line does not have an account with Ensurance anymore so I need to go direct to them,This is annoying as I wanted a skoda approved repair doing as the car is only 7 weeks old,So I ring Direct line ,get put through to  AutoGlass who tell me that direct line only pay for pattern windscreens for the £ 75 excess if I want an original screen they will only pay £ 125.00 towards it ,so I am now looking at a cost of around £ 580 for the screen less £125  contribution,plus the cost of re calibrating the lane assist cameras,which at the moment not many people can do,my advice to anyone who cares is double check your insurence company deals with Ensurance,and that they will let you have original glass put back on the vehicle as standard in the event of damage,

I would be very surprised if you can get a 'pattern' screen yet, chances are they can only source OEM.

I had a new windscreen in my O3 via Autoglass and my insurers, and it was OEM. This was at least 12 months after the O3 had been launched - it was heated though.

On 18/08/2017 at 17:37, Mdpwood said:

Windscreen update ,as I imagined Skoda don't want to know about the cracked 

windscreen,Not a major issue as I have windscreen insurance,I am insured with Direct Line which is a big company here in the U.K.,So I ring Ensurance up to tell them I need a windscreen so they can contact my insurers,I was then told Direct line does not have an account with Ensurance anymore so I need to go direct to them,This is annoying as I wanted a skoda approved repair doing as the car is only 7 weeks old,So I ring Direct line ,get put through to  AutoGlass who tell me that direct line only pay for pattern windscreens for the £ 75 excess if I want an original screen they will only pay £ 125.00 towards it ,so I am now looking at a cost of around £ 580 for the screen less £125  contribution,plus the cost of re calibrating the lane assist cameras,which at the moment not many people can do,my advice to anyone who cares is double check your insurence company deals with Ensurance,and that they will let you have original glass put back on the vehicle as standard in the event of damage,

What exactly has been said about the calibration? That you should get it done because it is needed? Did you sign a disclaimer of any description?

Also, your car is less than three years old; it is under manufacturer warranty. If there is an issue with anything connected to the windscreen (the camera you mention, or the rain and light sensor; heated if it is) you will not be covered by that warranty on the basis that the car does not have an OEM windscreen in it.

Edited by Glassy

7 hours ago, Glassy said:

What exactly has been said about the calibration? That you should get it done because it is needed? Did you sign a disclaimer of any description?

Also, your car is less than three years old; it is under manufacturer warranty. If there is an issue with anything connected to the windscreen (the camera you mention, or the rain and light sensor; heated if it is) you will not be covered by that warranty on the basis that the car does not have an OEM windscreen in it.

I have just been told that they will fit a OEM windscreen for the standard excess,it appears they can't get a pattern one  as of yet ,with regards to calibration ,it will have to go to a main dealer,apparently it has to be done after a new screen is fitted ,

35 minutes ago, Mdpwood said:

I have just been told that they will fit a OEM windscreen for the standard excess,it appears they can't get a pattern one  as of yet ,with regards to calibration ,it will have to go to a main dealer,apparently it has to be done after a new screen is fitted ,

Why are you being sent - or advised to go - to a main dealer? Autoglass have their own calibration centres.

Has the main dealer told you that the camera is self-calibrating yet?

Please keep us posted.

11 minutes ago, Glassy said:

Why are you being sent - or advised to go - to a main dealer? Autoglass have their own calibration centres.

Has the main dealer told you that the camera is self-calibrating yet?

Please keep us posted.

Main dealer told me it has to be recalibrated,Auto glass told me that they don't have the right kit to do my Kodiaq at the moment