No Nav Information On Maxi Dot

I just got my Columbus repaired and now I don't have navigation info on my maxi dot.

The stereo was factory reset because it had a new mainboard. I have loaded the maps to v14.

Do I have to get a VCDS to add the menu to the maxi dot?

10 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Yes, it'll need VCDS to code the unit to work correctly.

New mainboard... Was that expensive?

200 Euro from carsystems

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

Hmm, sounds too cheap to be a mainboard. Maybe a radio board, but they're quoting €299 supply only for a mainboard.

The issue was a white screen boot loop. They didn't fully explain the details on the repair.

Ok so I have just been to a garage that had a VCDS. They tried to do the coding on my stereo, but were unsuccessful.  They are not familiar with the stereo so I told them not to worry about it.

The problems I am having are:-

1) Track skip buttons on the wheel don't work

2) Navigation on the maxi dot don't display

3) Track info/radio station on the maxi dot don't display

4) Signal strength on the radio and GPS get weak. Not like before the repair.

If anyone who knows the options to select on the VCDS I would be very grateful.

7 minutes ago, Vanders said:

Ok so I have just been to a garage that had a VCDS. They tried to do the coding on my stereo, but were unsuccessful.  They are not familiar with the stereo so I told them not to worry about it.

The problems I am having are:-

1) Track skip buttons on the wheel don't work

2) Navigation on the maxi dot don't display

3) Track info/radio station on the maxi dot don't display

4) Signal strength on the radio and GPS get weak. Not like before the repair.

If anyone who knows the options to select on the VCDS I would be very grateful.

For issues 1, 2, and 3 it sounds like the Columbus has been coded for DDP protocol rather than BAP as your Superb should be using. If you look at this pic you'll see the relevant page in the long coding helper (for an RNS510 which is essentially the same as the Columbus) which has BAP protocol selected. Yours should have this check box ticked.

enable+bit+7+BAP.JPG

As regards the radio & GPS reception, I'm not sure what the issue might be there. On the Nav screen touch "Current Position" and see how many satellites are tracking and locked onto.

Edited by Rustynuts

10 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Just noticed. Your profile lists your car as a Superb Elegance, but you've posted this in the Octavia section...

My bad maybe mods could move the thread.

14 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

For issues 1, 2, and 3 it sounds like the Columbus has been coded for DDP protocol rather than BAP as your Superb should be using. If you look at this pic you'll see the relevant page in the long coding helper (for an RNS510 which is essentially the same as the Columbus) which has BAP protocol selected. Yours should have this check box ticked.

enable+bit+7+BAP.JPG

As regards the radio & GPS reception, I'm not sure what the issue might be there. On the Nav screen touch "Current Position" and see how many satellites are tracking and locked onto.

From what I remember there were 3 tickboxes. Something to do with aux, steering assist and ipod/usb. Cant remember seeing BAP.

So I will go and see if the BAP option is checked.

Thanks Rustynuts 

3 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Do you by any chance have a VCDS scan log from before the unit was damaged / repaired?

I don't, did't think about doing that. 

If the next attempt is unsuccessful I will ask to copy the log and post it here. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I went to my garage to try to enable BAP.  I get the error :

Re- Code Invalid

You did not enter a new coding. If you are using LCode make sure to close it in order to transfer the new coding back to VCDS.

After soft resetting the unit the code has not worked. 

We gave a random number with no 0's in the 3 workshop#'s. Me and the mechanic are both out of ideas. He also tried to select BAP on another diagnostic tablet to no avail.

28 minutes ago, Rustynuts said:

Did you get a saved log of the scan results?

Ah I didn't, I had to leave in a hurry, I was running late.

I got some photos of the ECU memory read and current long code.

Do you think it needs the correct workshop, importer, equipment mode?

2 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Current long coding number would be a start. If the workshop / importer numbers aren't available then VCDS will volunteer generic ones which should work. 

Current long number 000004000000000000000

code workshop 33361 790 00000

That all I have I'm afraid.

I think I will take it to the skoda dealer. I think they will have a better understanding than my current mechanic.

Okay, that coding is nothing at all, so as far as your Columbus is concerned your car has no functions it needs to support.

Do you have an AUX port? And do you have a cd changer? (likely answers here are yes and no)...

Do you have any sound system like Canton (do you actually have any music / sound at all out of the Columbus as it stands)?

Do you have a back up camera?

I presume the car is a Superb 2008 - 2015?

Do you have a multi function steering wheel?

Answers please...

18 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Okay, that coding is nothing at all, so as far as your Columbus is concerned your car has no functions it needs to support.

Do you have an AUX port? And do you have a cd changer? (likely answers here are yes and no)...

Do you have any sound system like Canton (do you actually have any music / sound at all out of the Columbus as it stands)?

Do you have a back up camera?

I presume the car is a Superb 2008 - 2015?

Do you have a multi function steering wheel?

Answers please...

Aux port - yes

cd changer - no

sound system - Works and sounds well, not sure of the name of the system

back up camera - no

multifunction wheel - yes

Superb elegance 2009

2 hours ago, Rustynuts said:

Okay, long coding string should be 04000400040400830000

That should be okay. Don't forget to do a soft reset when the coding has been successfully applied.

Ok thanks for that il give it a go.

Ok so I went to the Skoda dealer to input the new code. They could not input the code. For a start they don't have VCDS and there diagnostic software gives an error code:

ERP0619E- Software configuration (coding, adaptation /calibration, parameterization), could not be computed. Please check whether a compatible control module or replacement part is installed in the vehicle. If the malfunction continues, consult customer support.

The dealer says that the radio is probably corrupted. I think they might be right because inputing using VCDS at the other garage would not allow to be changed either. I will contact the repair company as it is under repair warranty.

Word of warning to anyone thinking of updating the firmware, don't because you will brick the unit. Take it to Rustynuts and save yourself the hassle of repairing and coding.