Dark or light glaze and wax

labman1001

Hi Folks,

I know it's maybe been asked before but I'm looking for some advice on the choice of whether to use a light or a dark glaze and wax on my Octavia, It's Satin Grey. As you can see though in the photos it does appear much more of a Blue, especially in the sunshine, than a Gray... To me it personally seems to fall into a middle ground between both.

I'm asking as im unsure if using something like one of the Poorboys Glazes if I'd be better off using the Light glaze or the Black Hole for darker cars and top it up with a corresponding wax or does it really not make much of a difference to the finish .... Anything I'm using would be hand applied and buffed off as my arthritis won't allow me to use a polisher.

Regards

Peter

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi Peter hows it going?

Personally I'd use the black hole glaze as I've used it on everything from my own car which is black magic to friends cars ranging all the way to silver with decent results. It àctually dries to quite a light grey haze before you buff it off. Comes off pretty easy as well so won't be too hard to buff off if you apply it sparingly. 

It's all the prep and decontamination that takes the time as I find if your going to the bother of glazing and waxing then you're as well doing it right and getting the paintwork properly clean. Pays off in how long your wax lasts as well. Doesn't all need to be done in one day though but trying to get two decent days weather in a row is the hard part!

Your car's looking crisp by the way! 

Edited to add, I'm a fan of collinite waxes and recently tried their 845 wax. Very easy on/easy off, again if applied sparingly. Two thin coats is loads better than one thick coat and you can leave a week between coats if your arthritis is giving you grief. 

Edited by VRSmarty
Forgot the wax!

I'd go with one of the most underrated products in Detailing - Autoglym Super Resin Polish, finish it off with a layer or two of a decent, durable wax (Collinite 476S, FinishKare 1000P) and job done.

cheers

Chris

Hi VRSmarty and Chris_VRS and thank you both for taking the time to reply and your kind and helpful suggestions ...

I've heard many good things on Colonite however I'm not sure if anyone local to me stocks it whereas I know one local shop who stock the entire, or at least it looks like it to me,  Poorboys range but then again I'd only mentioned it in reference to the need to specifically use a light/dark glaze but you've answered that nicely in using dark on a silver car VR...

i guess in in a small way I'm getting bitten by the bug to keep the car looking it's best... I've done all 4 wheels and body work with tar remover and followed up with a fallout remover, from Chemical Guys, which got rid of the last of the baked in iron off the wheels..... The body work greatly surprised me, when on looking realy closely at it, in having only a few tiny tar spots and even less in the way of iron judging by the lack of reaction to the fall out remover which is surprising as its never been done before in my 2 years of ownership... The only thing I've not done is clay it and if was to I'd probably go for a mitt rather than a bar simply for ease of use.... 

I'll have a look into prices for the Black Hole glaze against the Super Resin Polish and have a think on that ....I'm not sure on a wax as at the moment I'm using the old fashioned Siminiz paste wax which I normally top up with their QD spray  after washing it 

Peter

1 hour ago, labman1001 said:

Hi VRSmarty and Chris_VRS and thank you both for taking the time to reply and your kind and helpful suggestions ...

I've heard many good things on Colonite however I'm not sure if anyone local to me stocks it whereas I know one local shop who stock the entire, or at least it looks like it to me,  Poorboys range but then again I'd only mentioned it in reference to the need to specifically use a light/dark glaze but you've answered that nicely in using dark on a silver car VR...

i guess in in a small way I'm getting bitten by the bug to keep the car looking it's best... I've done all 4 wheels and body work with tar remover and followed up with a fallout remover, from Chemical Guys, which got rid of the last of the baked in iron off the wheels..... The body work greatly surprised me, when on looking realy closely at it, in having only a few tiny tar spots and even less in the way of iron judging by the lack of reaction to the fall out remover which is surprising as its never been done before in my 2 years of ownership... The only thing I've not done is clay it and if was to I'd probably go for a mitt rather than a bar simply for ease of use.... 

I'll have a look into prices for the Black Hole glaze against the Super Resin Polish and have a think on that ....I'm not sure on a wax as at the moment I'm using the old fashioned Siminiz paste wax which I normally top up with their QD spray  after washing it 

Peter

Just order the Collinite online, order today, could be with you on Tuesday. This is super durable so you can just wash and dry, no need for any other steps for a good few months.

I'd never recommend claying a car if you aren't going to machine polish it afterwards - almost guaranteed to leave clay marring behind so you'll be left with a finish inferior to before you started.

I'd also recommend using a fallout remover before a dedicated tar remover.

cheers

Chris

Thanks for the tip on the claying Chris, unless I get a valet done that will do that followed up by a machine polish I will give that a miss as my arthritis wouldn't allow me to use a machine polisher....

I'm really just trying my best to keep the car looking her best for as long as possible, I was lucky when I bought the car that she looked like she'd been well looked after and I want to keep it looking that way...

I've used Collinste 476S and 845 and both are very good and durable. In fact 476s can even be used on your wooden furniture too to bring up a good shine. I haven't used it in a while on my car but hopefully plan on getting some on the cars before the autumn sets in. 

I like your train of thought with your Octavia. I like having a car that irrespective of age looks brand new. I did it with my Fabia Estate and now have an Octavia, but that is only just coming up to a year old but certainly keeping on top of the cleaning regime. 

• Like 1