Bargain generator?

Breezy_Pete

Why not ask them if they sell kettles too? 

Don't go mad with the quantity though as electric kettles these day are usually 3 or 3.3 kW so you only need 10. But they may consider that quantity to be a bulk buy and give free delivery!

I'm beginning to wonder if the way ahead for the shed power is a stand for my pushbike that turns it into an exercise bike, which in turn drives a spare alternator to charge a car or leisure battery.

I've already got a bunch of LED strip lights that go off 12V.  Might be a fun project; wouldn't mind betting there's a 'how-to' somewhere on the web, to reduce the number of ways I could feck it up.

Anyone on here done anything similar?

16 hours ago, john999boy said:

No - but I did get this:-

Hi,dear buyer,we are really sorry that the item you ordered is out of stock,
how about we refund money to you first, because we don't want you be so worried about it.
so sorry for the inconvenience.
please tell me your opinion,we will totally respect .
looking forward to your reply .
Have a nice day !!

Yes, he's right - I am now 'so worried about it' and also totally gutted as I'd already found a place to buy the kettles that @Lee01 mentioned. :sadsmile:

However.............. As that smaller generator which I mentioned earlier was still for sale and deciding that buying 30 kettles would also be cheaper than buying 75, I bought that one too. After all, surely they can't surely have got stock problems with two of their generators? :worried:

Let's see what emails tomorrow brings. :thumbup:

Didn't see that happening! I really, really expected them to honour the sale and post you, for free, a massive generator the site of a motorcycle, from China, at around a hundredth of its retail value! I thought the Chinese were supposed to be very honest and honourable. Mind you, if you had one, an hour later, you'd be wanting another!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, john999boy said:

You're right in the kettle calculation. I can only blame Lee (again) for leading me astray with his maths skills! 

The apocalypse party is getting smaller all the time.... 

I was gonna bring a beer, mate :D

• Haha 1

No further contact from them yet so I fired off an email asking when the second one would be despatched!

As they're not there over the weekend I should hopefully get a response on Monday. They have already given good feedback which is kind of nice considering what I'll be giving them if they don't honour the sale. :evilgrin:

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Might be worth doing what I did many years ago to power my garden shed. We were contractors to NO WORK rail, and the cables laid out on track were screened/Armoured /ratproof etc. In our skip, one day I found a decent length of armoured 2.5mm cable- more than long enough to get to my shed. I  insulation tested it and it passed well over the limit. My shed is powered by this cable, ran on the fence at waste height to the shed. House end is reduced to a lump of 13A  domestic cable fitted with a 13A plug and into a 13A socket to comply with regs. Saves getting in a sparky, as shed end is in practice the end of an extension lead, and house end is a plug end . Just makes a mockery of the PART p REGS. I'd not done anything that needed part P testing, and I was trained in my early years by my uncle , who was a competent regs sparky.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I did on the shed that this one's replacing (different location though), except I just stripped it back to the soft inner layer and stuffed that up a 13A plug. Cable donated by my boss. Someone on here mentioned that if I'd actually joined/junctioned the house end to a bit of cable designed to go into a 13A plug it would've been OK, regs-wise, I think.

Same boss gave me more of the same new-colours 5-core 2.5mm for this install, but since the Landlady is happy to pay the sparky for what must  now be a more reasonable quote as there's no cable-running at all to do, it wasn't worth bodging.

Edited by Wino

22 hours ago, Wino said:

...Same boss gave me more of the same new-colours 5-core 2.5mm for this install, but since the Landlady is happy to pay the sparky for what must  now be a more reasonable quote as there's no cable-running at all to do, it wasn't worth bodging.

I'm lost why did it need to be 5 core? And how's the sparky now doing it without running a cable?

Just now, Cybermansrevenge said:

I'm lost why did it need to be 5 core? And how's the sparky now doing it without running a cable?

It didn't, but what I was given for free (well one nice bottle of red as a thank you) was 5-core, so that's what I used.

Sparky was happy for me to run the cable.

23 hours ago, VWD said:

House end is reduced to a lump of 13A  domestic cable fitted with a 13A plug and into a 13A socket to comply with regs. Saves getting in a sparky, as shed end is in practice the end of an extension lead, and house end is a plug end . Just makes a mockery of the PART p REGS. I'd not done anything that needed part P testing, and I was trained in my early years by my uncle , who was a competent regs sparky.

With this type of installation I would also make doubly sure by using a 13A plug with a built RCD, just in case of future damage or degradation of the cable.

House has RCD capacity on the main board. Cable is designed to be laid outdoors without protection, and sheath is ratproof etc,with armouring under sheath, as said. Cable is run externally so as to be in a safe location, and visible for inspection. No offence, mate, but after 50 years of running cables outside, I would suggest that I know a thing or three about running /checking external cables.