DSG in Octavia

SEman

My daughter has just had her Saab turbo written off by a rear end shunt. She's rather taken with my Superb Estate and is now looking at Octavia hatch backs. She can drive manual but much prefers automatics. I have seen mixed reviews of DSG automatics from VAG with earlier ones being somewhat troublesome. When did Skoda start to fit the improved DSG, and how would such gearbox be identified?

Depending on which engine you go for there is either a 6 speed wet clutch or 7 speed dry clutch DSG fitted. Both boxes have had issues and there have been some service campaigns and software updates. I have had 2 Octavia's with 7 speed DSG's and both covered over 80k miles without any issues .

I have had 4 Octavia's all with DSG. Not an ounce of bother with any of them. Current one is knocking on the doors of 70k and has had the DSG service which should have been done at 40k but was done at 62k. The usual advice is go and try one and see if she gets on with it. She could try a Fabia 2 vRS which is definitely 7 speed but the only way is to go and try one. 

Where there might be an issue is if she is looking at an 1.6TDI Octavia with a 7 Speed DSG which there are 2 different Service Campaign Actions on, 

one up to 2013 which is '34F7', Changing oil in the MCU from Synthetic to mineral and a Software Update.

Then there is a Service Campaign started last year, '34H5' which is a Software Update.

These may apply to a 7 Speed DQ200 DSG on a 1.2 or 1.4 Petrol engine as well.

There was a World Wide Recall on the first one and then Extended Warranties on the DSG, in Europe, not part of the World.... Just Service Campaigns.

Obviously the majority have no issues, which means that there are still plenty that can have.

PS

No such thing as a Fabia 3 vRS. 

There are mk3 Fabia with 1.0, 1.2 petrol engines or a 1.4TDI with  7 speed Twin dry clutch DSG.  They are DQ200's as well.

Edited by Awayoffski

Thanks for the replies. She was keen on the Octavia VRS diesel but has accepted that for her work out in the sticks something with  higher profile tyres might be better. So it will be an Octavia 2.0 TDI DSG, which as you say seems as reliable as anything else out there providing the recommended DSG services have been done. I think her old 2003 Saab has only had one autobox fluid change in 130k miles, but it is the conventional torque converter epicyclic box.