Replacing the Rapid .... what next ?

"My Rapid is on 17" Bridgestones.  Noise and feel of uneven roads is not bad - it's a bit firm as you might expect at "eco" 2.5 bar all around - but it settles down on a reasonable motorway, which is what it was really bought for (that, large boot, and rear legroom)."

Isn't that rather high (the pressures) guessing it should be similar to the Toledo pressures, 2.0/2.1 bar or 2.2 max for 17's?

Edited by MickA

Toledo has soft and eco pressure setting options (2.2/2.5 I think) for the same Bridgestone. Doesnt seem to make a difference to me. The tyre construction is different (stiffer?) than the Conti and makes more rumbling road noise in the identical size 215/40R17. Handling/grip seems a little better (but it should comparing new tyres with 36000 mile tyres ) but maybe not as good as a new set of Contis. Stuck with them until they wear out I guess.

3 hours ago, MickA said:

"My Rapid is on 17" Bridgestones.  Noise and feel of uneven roads is not bad - it's a bit firm as you might expect at "eco" 2.5 bar all around - but it settles down on a reasonable motorway, which is what it was really bought for (that, large boot, and rear legroom)."

Isn't that rather high (the pressures) guessing it should be similar to the Toledo pressures, 2.0/2.1 bar or 2.2 max for 17's?

It seems a bit on the high side, but the tag inside the filler cap says 2.5bar "eco" - see attached.

IMG_20171230_120138.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MickA said:

I've not got an eco pressure recommendation, what's all that about?

I know set at around 36 from collecting the car it was a bl**Dy harsh ride.

I suppose harsh is a question of what you're used to, and whether or not the Toledo and Rapid are made with the same bits (in the same place?)

I vaguely recall that the first Rapids made (2012?) had unreasonably harsh suspension, especially on low profile tyres, and that things were changed to greatly improve the ride.

How similar are the Toledo and Rapid these days?

Also, my previous car was a Fabia ii combi (HTP) from 2012, now that's harsh and noisy. (Especially compared to my wife’s Fabia iii SE 1.2 90).

Rapedos are all but identical, just one wears a pretty frock. Oldest one I've driven was a 13 (so before the Spaceback suspension improvments) that rode no better than the £375 clunker I drove to the dealer in.  Very jittery at low speed on poor roads.  All the more recent cars have ridden fine (whatever what car / auto express say - still rehashing their 2012 roadtests) although the OEM tyre changes are not a positive move.