Skoda Octavia VRS Estate or Seat Leon FR ST?

I'm going to be changing my car in November (I'm on Motability). I'm currently in a Seat Leon FR ST, pre 2016/17 facelift (1.4 TFSI with ACT 150PS) which has been great car. I'm considering  the facelifted Octavia vRS (230PS) Estate, which I've had a look at and really liked what I saw. The engine out of the Golf GTI and the boot being the main plus points to me!  

I'm also considering the facelift Leon ST with either the 1.4 TFSI again or moving up to the the 1.8 TFSI for a bit more power and performance but open to advice if it's worth it?  I realise Skoda and the Seat are identical floor underneath the body as they are both built on the VAG MQB platform. 

I'm keen to keep the current level of equipment I have in my Leon, the one downside with the Skoda is a lot of what is either standard or available at reasonable cost on the Leon are optional on the Octavia. If I decide to go with the Octavia what options do you think are a must on the vRS Estate?

The options that bring the Octavia up to my current Leon are:

Variable boot floor (PK3) £150
Heated windscreen (PH5) £300
Heated front seats (PW0) £250
Heated washer nozzles in front (9T1) £50
Electrically heated, adjustable and folding door mirrors - auto dimming (PW4) £175
Front and rear parking sensors (7X2) £350

Is their anything there that you think I'm potentially wasting money on considering I'l only have the car for three years?

Edited by Valo

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sticking with Motability & leasing from then?

Current Deposit on the 1.4TSI 150 ps DSG Leon ST is £249  (180ps DSG £499-£799 with 18" alloys & convenience pack.)

on the Octavia 1.4TSI 150ps DSG SE L Estate £695 

?

What is the Deposit going to be on a Octavia vRS 230?

http://seat.co.uk/offers/motability/overview.html 

EDIT,

Got it.

Is it worth adding extras you need to pay for over and above the Deposit for a leased car?

http://skoda.co.uk/finance/motability-from-skoda/octavia/default 

PS

Looks good this Quarter on the deposit if you get your order in now which i take it you are doing.

If it goes down in the next Quarter then then you pay less... Which is nice.

?

What is the Skoda & the SEAT Dealerships saying on Delivery,  both OK for November?

Edited by Awayoffski

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sticking with Motability & leasing from then?

Current Deposit on the 1.4TSI 150 ps DSG Leon ST is £249  (180ps DSG £499-£799 with 18" alloys & convenience pack.)

on the Octavia 1.4TSI 150ps DSG SE L Estate £695 

?

What is the Deposit going to be on a Octavia vRS 230?

http://seat.co.uk/offers/motability/overview.html 

EDIT,

Got it.

Is it worth adding extras you need to pay for over and above the Deposit for a leased car?

http://skoda.co.uk/finance/motability-from-skoda/octavia/default 

PS

Looks good this Quarter on the deposit if you get your order in now which i take it you are doing.

If it goes down in the next Quarter then then you pay less... Which is nice.

?

What is the Skoda & the SEAT Dealerships saying on Delivery,  both OK for November?

Thanks for the Welcome!

I'm sticking with Motability and leasing it through the scheme.

I'm just trying to choose between the Leon with standard equipment which is optional on a Skoda, or the stock VRS with probably only:

Variable boot floor (PK3) £150

Electrically heated, adjustable and folding door mirrors - auto dimming (PW4) £175 

And at a push:  Front and rear parking sensors (7X2) £350

Do you think it's worth it to go with the Skoda over the Leon?

As far as delivery I'm not sure yet, if there is a delay then Motability will simply extend the lease on my current car until the replacement is ready to go.

I think the 180 ps  (minimum....) 1.8 TSI / DSG Leon ST is a cracker, and a really good deal at the current deposit.

Very different ride / handling from your current car.

Best go drive a vRS 230 and see what you like. Pays your money and make your choices.

Edited by Awayoffski

Have a read on the forum of the delivery posts, currently some long delivery times.

I love you question...what do you expect a Skoda forum will answer?

Only you can decide which car is better for you, after a long test drive and consider the difference in payments.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

I think the 180 ps  (minimum....) 1.8 TSI / DSG Leon ST is a cracker, and a really good deal at the current deposit.

Very different ride / handling from your current car.

Best go drive a vRS 230 and see what you like. Pays your money and make your choices.

Thanks for the advice regarding the 1.8 Leon. I'm seriously looking at that over the 1.4 as my preferred Seat option. 

Going to arrange a drive of the vRS 230, hopefully either this week or the next the same with the 1.8 Leon. 

1 hour ago, glosrich said:

Have a read on the forum of the delivery posts, currently some long delivery times.

I love you question...what do you expect a Skoda forum will answer?

Only you can decide which car is better for you, after a long test drive and consider the difference in payments.

Well I know Skoda owners are good folk who'll give honest and impartial advice!  :D 

I'll have a read about the delivery situation, thanks for the advice and query with the dealer.

What options would VRS Estate owners say are an absolute must? The variable boot floor is so far my only absolute.  

• Like 1

I just happen to have a SEAT Alhambra TDI /SCR DSG from Mobility because i needed the seats / space.

I would of had a Leon ST 1.8TSI if it had suited, i had looked in the past at buying a used one.

I have had a few Skoda and have driven the whole Skoda & SEAT current range & past ones that have a DSG or Autobox.

In the Leon the 1.8 has better rear suspension than the 1.4 and larger front discs (312mm instead of 288).  I can't decide whether to have a 1.8 (180) FR or a 1.4 (150) Xcellence.  Also should I wait for the new engines.  Both the current engines are on the way out with the 1.4 (150) to be replaced by the 1.5 (150) and the 1.8 (180) by the 2.0 (190).

The exact model will need to be on the Motability List this Quarter to get an order in for delivery in November which is in the next quarter.

Once order if there are Factory Build changes before the build then that is OK and should not affect things, 

maybe delay delivery though, and some have even ended with cancelled models as happened with a model of the Ateca that had implausible / irregular Co2 g/km, ie Dodgy Testing results....

Deposits can change in the next Quarter if waiting to order, (not something you can do really when the car you have now is due to be returned in November)

and currently the price Skoda & Seat are selling to Motability for is rather good.

Motability buy the cars outright.  

a £30,000 plus RRP might be £24,000 to them.

Edited by Awayoffski

+1 for the 1.8 it is a cracking engine and as people have said generally comes with better brakes and multilink rear suspension. The 1.4 maybe being replaced by the 1.5 but Skoda has been dropping the 1.8tsi from much of its range (in the UK at least) and from what I see the introduction of the 2.0 (190) to the VAG group is not going to change that.

Unfortunately if you want a bigger range of petrol engined (in the UK at least) cars you need to look somewhere other than Skoda

• Like 1

The Seat has much smaller boot space, seats up or seats down. Also the rear leg room is less

Seat Leon STR 1.8lt petrol & above have the multilink rear. Boot is 1470lts & wheelbase is 2636mm & OA length is 4549mm

Skoda Octavia estate is 1740lt boot & wheelbase is 2686mm, &  4667mm OA length. Again I think just 1.8lt & above is multilink.

MK7 Golf is 1620lt boot,  & 2620mm wheelbase, 4567mm OA length. All above 1.4 122ps have multilink rear.

Octavia has 2" more rear legroom & is bigger overall with the biggest boot.

1.4lt 140/150 & then the 1.5lt 150PS engines punch way harder than you would belive looking at the specs...

Don't forget that the 1.8lt is restricted to 250Nm of torque due to the gearbox....the 1.4lts & 1.5lts as I listed above put out 250NM also...so what's the point in having an older & heavier engine in the nose??

Edited by fabdavrav

43 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Don't forget that the 1.8lt is restricted to 250Nm of torque due to the gearbox....the 1.4lts & 1.5lts as I listed above put out 250NM also...so what's the point in having an older & heavier engine in the nose??

The 1.8 has direct and indirect injection, so at least it won't suffer from carbon deposits on the valves in years to come.

It seems odd that they restrict the torque on the 1.8 manual, as VAG don't do this on the manual Polo GTi and Ibiza Cupra which have 320Nm IIRC, a bit of a shame to be honest.

Edited by Bogwoppit

32 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Not if it is 4x4 with the DQ250 dsg6

Looking at the current Seat & Skoda pricelists Seat is the only 1.8lt & all are 250Nm....no 4x4 version...4x4 is diesel or petrol 2lt....I was talking about the 1.8lt petrol current new..

I even looked in the 2015 MK3 Octavia & the 2wd 1.8lt DSG is 250Nm...

24 minutes ago, Bogwoppit said:

The 1.8 has direct and indirect injection, so at least it won't suffer from carbon deposits on the valves in years to come.

It seems odd that they restrict the torque on the 1.8 manual, as VAG don't do this on the manual Polo GTi and Ibiza Cupra which have 320Nm IIRC, a bit of a shame to be honest.

The Polo GTI has a stronger manual gearbox as 320Nm..but in DSG is a weaker 7 speed to limited to 250NM...

To the OP the Octavia is quite a big bigger than your current Seat..

3 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Looking at the current Seat & Skoda pricelists Seat is the only 1.8lt & all are 250Nm....no 4x4 version...4x4 is diesel or petrol 2lt....I was talking about the 1.8lt petrol current new..

Just because they are not in the UK pricelist does not mean they do not exist. There are other countries you know :biggrin:

The 1.8tsi 4x4 is still available current, new, even facelift, just not in the UK. It still has the DSG6 DQ250 gearbox and a higher torque limit

6 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

I even looked in the 2015 MK3 Octavia & the 2wd 1.8lt DSG is 250Nm...

No argument there, but as I said the 4x4 version has a higher limit, just not widely available in the UK

I'd choose the Octavia, back in the days when I/We had a Motability Car we always went for the biggest possible estate, usually Mondeo's + a Volvo V70.

(A scooter, a normal wheelchair, luggage + a small dog.)

As for your mobility deposits, they seem to be soooo cheap!

We were paying circa £6K for the Mondeos & £7.6K for the Volvo for a 3 year hire.

DC

Boggwoppit,

the 2015 on VW Polo GTI 1.8TSI 192ps has 320Nm with a manual box, and 250Nm with the DSG.  They are given by VW the same 0-62, mpg max speed etc.

The Seat Cupra 1.8TSI 192ps is 320Nm with a manual box.

The thing with VW is, take everything with a 'Pinch of Salt',

best go time a heavier than a Polo or Ibiza, Leon 1.8TSI DSG 180ps and see how they really go.

25 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Just because they are not in the UK pricelist does not mean they do not exist. There are other countries you know :biggrin:

The 1.8tsi 4x4 is still available current, new, even facelift, just not in the UK. It still has the DSG6 DQ250 gearbox and a higher torque limit

No argument there, but as I said the 4x4 version has a higher limit, just not widely available in the UK

The OP mentioned "Mobility" and although does not state a location I am assuming UK based...which is why I state what I do as correct for UK...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

1.8 has wider range of the flat 250nm torque curve.

It's a big question why it's 250nm even with manual.

Because VAG fit the MQ250 gearbox...

which has a safe limit of 250NM of torque...

22 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@ fabravdav , I was little confused as I have 6 speed manual on 2.0 TDI 150hp 340nm.

If they've put this gearbox 1.8 would be brilliant choice with 320nm petrol

VAG make silly choices based on marketing...

My 1.4 140PS  can make may more than 250NM...plenty of tuners getting good reliable figures....

I won't bite as the gearbox is weak & the best tuners (ABT & MTM) limit their maps for this engine to 250NM to protect the gearbox & clutch....I know I spoke to them.

• Like 1

& other world wide known tuners will sell you a remap for a 1.4TSI that gives over 300Nm with a DQ200 DSG box and this causes no issues.

There are other world wide known tuners / manufacturers / software providers that will sell you software and clutch packs for a DQ200 when your engine is producing over 250Nm.

Like Manufacturers staying within safe limits with their factory engines BHP / Torque they do the same with gearboxes.

*Never stopped VW Group turning out a pretty high number of Lemons in their TSI / TFSI's be that 1.2,1.4,1.8 or 2.0 litre.*

Not sure on the DQ200's being weak as plenty are certainly not. But then they manage to turn out lemons as well with gearboxes..

There are failures due to manufacturing faults, fluid and software issues from the factory be that a VW or Skoda Built DQ200,

hence Service Campaigns 34F7  & the latest one started last year 34H5, & obviously the World Wide Recall excluding Europe, and the World Regions that had warranty extensions on DQ200 DSG's.

Edited by Awayoffski