emissions scandal warranty

skippy41

Published 10 August 2017

Volkswagen Group has introduced a two-year warranty on vehicles that undergo the emissions update - and it applies to owners who have already had the work carried out.

Volkswagen Group - which is comprised of Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT and Skoda - has put into place a a 24-month warranty for customers who have the emission update carried out.

News of the two-year warranty - called the 'Trust Building Measure' - will be of interest to owners who have found that their car has been negatively affected by the technical fix.

The warranty applies if a customer makes a complaint to an authorised repairer or to the Volkswagen Group and the issue is found to have resulted from the emissions fix.

The warranty was announced in June 2017 and extends to owners whose vehicles have already received the emissions recall. It will cover the car from the date the work was carried out - provided that all other requirements for the 'Trust Building Measure' are met.

It covers vehicles for repairs to 11 components within the exhaust gas recirculation, fuel injection and emissions after treatment systems, within 24-months from the date of the emissions update. However, it only applies to vehicles with a mileage of under 160,000.

The Volkswagen emissions scandal began in September 2015 and affected a total of 1.2 million vehicles in the UK. Volkswagen Group has maintained that the technical measures have no adverse impact on the performance of the vehicles or the durability of the engine and its components.

It says that the Trust Building Measure instead serves to strengthen customer confidence and encourage more customers to have their vehicles updated.

In March 2017, Volkswagen engineers explained to us that out of 480,000 vehicles that had the fix applied, there had only been 3600 complaints. Of these 3600, 60 per cent were noise related and 35 per cent were complaints about poorer fuel economy and EGR problems.

However, here at Honest John, we've received multiple complaints of power loss, broken EGRs, broken injectors, worsening fuel economy and increased noise from customers since the having the emissions fix. No compensation has been awarded to any Volkswagen UK customer, with Volkswagen saying there is 'no legal basis' for payment.

Easy to understand why so few 'Official Complaints' might have come in from 'Owners of Drivers' of the near 1/2 a Million vehicles that had 'The Fix'.

Most of those will have been Owned by VW Group / VW Finance and Lease Companies, Vehicles 'In Trade' at Dealerships / Sales Stock, Utilities Companies / Fleet returns etc.

VW Group were not going to make 'Official Complaints' to the VW Group or the DVSA.

?

So of those 1/2 a million first vehicles how many are now with new 'Keepers / Owners / Drivers' and have been complained about them since March?  How many have required 'Warranty Work' & Remedial Actions?

VW Group will know the answer to that, so might want to publish that figure as an 'Update', and tell the Westminster Select Transport Committee, Chris Grayling MP the Secretary of State for Transport & the DVSA.

Edited by Awayoffski

I heard on Radio 2 news the other day that VW in Germany were allowing a PX payment of 2000 - 10000 euros if people changed there cars for new ones ! I wonder if it will apply to Skoda over here ?

Well, I was gutted that the 2.0 L&K I am picking up this weekend had already had the 'fix' (my 1.6 greenline isn't going to have it - my remap, my car). But that announcement makes me feel a little better about the new (to me) car

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I did not have the modification done to my Fabia 2013 build because of the problems the fix created for some cars. Then the EGR unit was diagnosed as faulty. Took it to Skoda dealer thinking that if I had the modification done it would also cure the EGr. Skoda refused to do the modification until I paid £1200 .Got my own garage  to replace EGR for £730. Skoda UK refused  to compensate even tho so many cars have been affected

Welcome aboard Holmes 👋

When did you have the work done?

Just wondering if your car was inside the Manufacturers Warranty period and they refused because you hadn't had it 'fixed'?

If the EGR failed outside of any warranty, isn't it just one of those things?  And as you hadn't had the emissions update, it wouldn't have ben covered by any trust building measure in any case?

Can't help but think I'm missing something.

Gaz