Job change

Thomson

20 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

**  EDITED  **   Sorry Mac, couldn't resist    :giggle:

I do also make a good cuppa tea...

And some of the best tea ive ever had was from an Aluminium kettle boiled (instantly) on a thermit weld slag pan's contents :D

Never had the pleasure of slag pan sausage sambo though, they stopped making them before i joined, after somebody realised maybe a pound of butter and a pound of sausages fried together in a 900degree metal bowl  wasnt the healthiest..

Forestry Commission Park Ranger.

No one to whinge and moan at you, just you the wildlife and plenty of peace and quiet. Bliss...

image.png.83881482cca79f3fb1b0fe2e2d425942.pngimage.png.95c89498d692733ce5a778ad26dd526c.png

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Forestry Commission Park Ranger.

No one to whinge and moan at you, just you the wildlife and plenty of peace and quiet. Bliss...

image.png.83881482cca79f3fb1b0fe2e2d425942.pngimage.png.95c89498d692733ce5a778ad26dd526c.png

I've just relocated to the northern edge of the NY Moors National park.  Can you put in a good word for me? 

You Sir, are living my dream.

• Like 1

MMM- I've seen the result. Bloke in big yellow fronted wagon ( possibly with small appendage) makes loud noises to blokes on track. Then suddenly there's a lot of "motions"! from train. Does poo fly- I'd not stand anywhere near an Auric wagon.

• Like 1

sORRY AG, couldn't resist. But fear not, from my experience of NR SAFETY OFFICERS, they've now go it down to missing out the bit about engaging brain.

• 3 weeks later...

Have an interview next week for a post I would really like.  Weird thing is that it's the third time I have had one there.  Not sure what to think off it as if they didn't want me the 1st or 2nd  time why have they asked me back for a third? 

Been two years since the first one. 

So I am really revising  my answers this time and hoping its third time lucky! :-)

28 minutes ago, Thomson said:

Have an interview next week for a post I would really like.  Weird thing is that it's the third time I have had one there.  Not sure what to think off it as if they didn't want me the 1st or 2nd  time why have they asked me back for a third? 

Been two years since the first one. 

So I am really revising  my answers this time and hoping its third time lucky! :-)

At the end of the interview, when they ask you if you have any questions, ask the killer question: "Is there anything that you would like to know that would convince you that I am the right person for the job" - this works on so many levels.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2017 at 11:09, KenONeill said:

@Thomson - That may explain it; councils used to have to interview external candidates for every post, even though they'd virtually always actually promote from within or hire an existing employee's relative or friend.

Seen that a good few times too, really grinds my gears! Had a lorry driving job with local council advertised, at the interview a few other drivers there waiting and chatting, any of us would have been ideal for the job. Then they give it to some young kid whose uncle was on the panel carrying out the interviews. Best bit was they had to pay for him to get his licence before he could take up the post... 

1 hour ago, FUBAR said:

Seen that a good few times too, really grinds my gears! Had a lorry driving job with local council advertised, at the interview a few other drivers there waiting and chatting, any of us would have been ideal for the job. Then they give it to some young kid whose uncle was on the panel carrying out the interviews. Best bit was they had to pay for him to get his licence before he could take up the post... 

You could have probably taken them to court and sued (if the employment laws are the same as in England)

52 minutes ago, VRS Mike said:

You could have probably taken them to court and sued (if the employment laws are the same as in England)

Not worth the trouble. I went to a recruitment event thing in an Asda once where they had delivery driving jobs advertised, 300 people over a week in 3 groups a day being brought in for it. Told us that there were 2 jobs but that someone was now transferring from another store so only 1. 3 managers running the thing inc the HR manager. First person they came into room to call out for interview directly naming them to come forward they obviously knew. Then someone else there who knew him went scaletrix as the guy called in for interview (who got the job in the end) had never had a job before and was the HR managers son.... one of the other 2 managers doing the interviews was one of her other sons. The reason so many people were there was in part my fault as they had done this all before and anyone who applied and was then rejected was barred from applying for any job with the company for 6 months and I missed out on applying for an LGV distribution job they had going because of a previous one. 

Where I live everyone knows each other or through a friend of a friend and the number of times I know myself who is getting a specific job before it's even advertised is scary. My current job I only took because I was sick of some management issues in my old one (old manager no longer working in management as a result of all drivers walking). When current one was advertised it was applied for more as an 'in' into a good firm with the idea that if it wasn't already lined up for someone else then I'd have a good chance and then be able to move around internally. When I got an invitation to an interview and assessment they advertised the job I'd ideally have wanted for the first time in years, so I emailed their HR and said I was applying for it too and asked if my existing application would present any conflict with the other. They said no as first one was immediate start and 2nd one was merely creating a 2 year reserve list which I could also go on and simply change contracts in the event. So I got the first job and after I got it I randomly got a rejection on other application not stating but insinuating it was due to an aptitude test that a 7 year old would have no trouble with. I asked for feedback and was told 'but we've already offered you the other job'. As they hadn't taken anyone on in over ten years and this would effectively bar me from re-applying for 2, I just left it. Now a few months after I start they take someone off the reserve list (perfectly experienced and qualified, though not very flexible) and apparently another on the way off it who they are putting through their test first. Only thing that is good about it is that it's absolutely nothing to do with the local management as this is all done nationally at the other side of the country or I wouldn't be able to work there at all. Insult to injury, I've been asked at least 20 times by different people did I not want the other job(s) since someone else is coming in for it/them? On top of that I do both that job and my own as is, but at 50% lower rate. I have since discovered from the husband of one of the HR crowd, that they find it harder to find good drivers for my job than the other and also that another guy in same position as me is suing them over it and carrying out a self imposed work to rule. I am in an initial probationary period still, with no cause termination clause, so the boat will not be rocked from my end for now. I can see me capsizing the sod in time though! There again, I actually like the job oddly and didn't expect to, meh. 

Ironically got a call while writing the above asking me if I could come in 6 or 7 hours early to do a run... 

Edited by FUBAR

I don't think council recruitment has ever changed. It used to be a case of when my wife worked for Leeds Council any positions advertised had been filled prior to the advert going out, The interviews were just a formality. Shame as she liked working for the council but left to work private for three times the pay and a lot more work to go with it. Nearly everyone she worked with has left too as the job promotions usually went to incompetent family members of the senior staff. 

I'm 6 weeks into my new role, I'm definitely feeling like I would rather be doing something more physical, in the last 5 or 6 years I have mainly done consultancy, project management roles, but don't find it fulfilling.

Something like tree surgery, general building, kitchen fitting or something along those lines would be more satisfying for me, problem is as I'm in my mid 30's is finding a training role that doesn't pay peanuts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/4/2017 at 14:08, CWARD said:

I don't think council recruitment has ever changed. It used to be a case of when my wife worked for Leeds Council any positions advertised had been filled prior to the advert going out, The interviews were just a formality. Shame as she liked working for the council but left to work private for three times the pay and a lot more work to go with it. Nearly everyone she worked with has left too as the job promotions usually went to incompetent family members of the senior staff. 

Public sector recruitment is nuts. HR were going to make us advertise a job for temp promotion which could only be fulfilled by the one person doing the role below.

If anyone else got it there wasn't enough money (only money to pay the difference not a whole other body).

We've also been forced to seek internal interest for other posts that can only be filled by one person.

Had to interview inappropriate people for jobs just to make up numbers.

Phenomenal waste of time and money to tick the HR boxes.

I had one ex HR bloke at my door ,who got out ,as his firm decided that the only place for those who could only sharpen pencils was HR. :dull:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 08:30, VRS Mike said:

I'm 6 weeks into my new role, I'm definitely feeling like I would rather be doing something more physical, in the last 5 or 6 years I have mainly done consultancy, project management roles, but don't find it fulfilling.

Something like tree surgery, general building, kitchen fitting or something along those lines would be more satisfying for me, problem is as I'm in my mid 30's is finding a training role that doesn't pay peanuts.

No possibility to get into project management on those kind of jobs?  Basically your job title would be "trades-person herder" :) 

There has to be a market for this.  Plenty of out and about site visits, fund your training through your own company for certain key jobs, so that you can step in on short notice when a tiler/kitchen fitter etc doesn't show up for a job.