Diy DSG oil change

superbdreams

• 3 months later...

Great guide, thanks.

Quick question. If you remove the battery, how can you connect VCDS / OBD2 port if vehicle has no power. I know a few people have opted for reading gear box temperature using a surface  IR thermometers like used to read a child's temperature.

Is it possible to remove the gear filter using the offset 24mm tool and easily reinsert a new paper filter element? Did you use long or short tool? From what I have read it looks like the long one on common rail engines. Short on petrol? There is a 4cm length difference so important not to waste £17 or so on wrong tool.

I'm always happy to avoid dismantling the least number of parts, etc.

Thoughts? Cheers

Edited by bmbmdmb

• 8 months later...

Short offset 24mm spanner works well on Octavia 3 ,100mm length.

Photo shows snorkel on left.

3nm torque to tighten snorkel.

24mm dsg filter housing is 20nm

Drain plug with fresh metal washer is 45nm torque.

IMG_20210904_112950_3.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 18/12/2020 at 09:40, bmbmdmb said:

Quick question. If you remove the battery, how can you connect VCDS / OBD2 port if vehicle has no power.

At the point you need to connect vcds / diagnostic you have changed the filter and re assembled, i can see that using the funnel method rather than the pressure filling vessel i used could cause tis issue but perhaps connect the battery with jump leads?

• 3 months later...

I was going to do mine after I priced up the oil & filter a pump and the time it would take the dealer did it for £140 not worth getting the show spanners out for ! 

£140 is so much better than the Skoda Main Dealers participating in the Skoda Fixed Price Service & Maintenance Deal on 3-10 year old cars who charge £215, or sometimes even more!!

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

£140 is so much better than the Skoda Main Dealers participating in the Skoda Fixed Price Service & Maintenance Deal on 3-10 year old cars who charge £215, or sometimes even more!!

That was at my local dealer Karoq was in for service and a recall and I asked what’s your best price on a DSG service  and they said £140  I do get on well with them bought 5 cars of them

never be afraid to ask for a discount  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, roottoot said:

@patrolman  How much do they charge you for the Haldex oil change with a proper clean out, or do you do that yourself?

I haven’t got the karoq any more had it done no my Octavia scout but that was 10 years ago I can’t remember that far ago 

• 1 year later...
On 22/03/2022 at 15:53, toot said:

I agree. I wouldn't have bothered if I could have had it done for £140. as long as it wasn't the main agent who i wouldn't let near my car.

• Like 1

So that was DQ250's.

Anyone with a DQ381 has a different kettle of fish. 

They might want it done before the 80,000 miles that VW / Skoda have as a recommendation, guidelines or even schedule.

Also want to have the filter changed.

1202101576_Screenshot2021-07-28at14_13_28.webp

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi, Norway here. Thank you for a very nice writeup! Detailed and elaborate.

Didn't see this thread until now, but there is one little "fault" in your write up. As someone else commented in the thread, the engine must be running when you check the level, if you stop the engine and then tighten the sump plug, your box will be underfilled.

Unless you are very fast when replacing fill device with sump plug. This method also leaves a lot of spill.

The recommended method is to leave the engine running after it reaches temp between 35-45 degrees celcius, disconnect filling hose, let excess fluid drain until dripping, and then tighten the sump plug (hex14). That way the DQ250 will be correctly levelled with oil.

Also one commentedm how do you disconnect battery and connect VCDS/OBD11. Simple answer is, you don't. Do all the job in the engine bay first (battery, tray, filter etc) and reconnect everything before you even start under the car. Some fault codes will be detected, but just erase all and ignore. They will disappear once you start driving (steering angle and esp will come up as fault).

Followed the VAG procedures from Elsawin. I use a special filling pump and a adapter filling from bottom as specified from VW/Skoda/Audi. I paid 39GBP for it at Aliexpress.

Removed air filter housing, battery and tray. All done within 1 hour using a carlift. Paid 65 GBP for a Febi complete set with 6ltr oil (891,- NOK) equals 65GBP), filter and sump plug from autodoc. Car has now 134'miles on the clock.

I used OBD 11 to monitor dsg temp. Easier to use since it is bluetooth connected. Do have VCDS as well, but that cable is a pain when you have the car liftet above head height 🙂

Total price incl all parts and pump: 104GBP

Last time this was done on my car in March 2022 at 116'miles the owner paid 280 GBP at a shop (Norwegian prices are pretty high) all included (oil, filter, plug and labor)

So, prices for doing this has risen couple of last years. Now in 2024 it is over 300 GBP for the same job as in 2022.

I replace DSG oil/filter on my DQ250 every 18'miles (30'km) approx. every 2nd year with my mileage estimates/use.

dsg pump.JPG

febi.JPG

febiprice.JPG