Columbus dead - fuses

Hi, my Columbus head unit is dead, I can't get it to switch on, doesn't seem like it's getting any power. I've checked the fuse in the engine bay (f9) I think which was fine. I'm now trying to check the fuse that is on the rear or the Columbus unit, but can't seem to locate it. Can anyone help, I don't want to pull out the connectors unnecessarily.

Thanks

Scott

More likely it's dead than a fuse. If it's one of the early ones they can die at any point just when they feel like it really.

But to check for power, pull the quadlock connector from the rear of the unit and use a test lamp or multimeter to check there for power. If there's power on 15 and 16 then all okay there. Then there's a 20a fuse inside the quadlock socket which you can check. That'll stop it working if it's blown.

Hi thanks for that. I've managed to remove the Columbus unit and have changed the 20amp fuse in the rear of the unit, have connected everything back up and its still dead. And now I have an airbag error warning light, although I refitted the passenger bag light part.

What are the options now? Try to get the Columbus repaired or look into an aftermarket replacement? The fear of getting the Columbus fixed would be that it breaks again, but I do like all the car compatibility. The advantage of a different unit would be a dab radio, but loosing features like the rear parking sensor graphics. Cost is a consideration too.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Scott

Thanks

I bet yours has a small speaker and letter i on the top right hand button? If so it's one of the earlier LCD units.

I bet you turned the ignition on with the radio surround unplugged, and as such the system will have seen an airbag fault (the wire which connects is for the airbag warning light). Needs VCDS to clear the fault code I'm afraid.

Edited by Rustynuts

Microphone is't a bad thing. Only problem really is it's undoubtedly the mainboard which has blown, and as such a repair will be a non starter. Mainboards are available from Carsystems in Poland for more than it would cost you to buy a replacement unit, then there's going to be time and labour, reloading software, maps, etc. and fitting the mainboard. Not worth it in my view when a DAB unit and antenna kit would be a cheaper option.