VRS 2016 or FACELIFT 2017? HELP?

Hi all! I'm tempted to go for a deal on a 2016 Octavia VRS petrol 220 in manual. Very nice car in black with a nice spec. Electic heated seats, Sunset Glass, Colour display screen, Black Pack, Full leather, Folding mirrors, 18" black alloys (which I wanted), Wireless phone charger, Bluetooth with WLAN, Front and rear parking sensors, Spave saver etc. Needing a bigger and pratical car for many reasons. I need the extra space sooner rather than later. My only worry is that the facelift is out now. Should I be looking at getting one a year old sometime next year as it will hold better value? Sitting in the car is very similar and not much different. The only mainly being the new updated display screen and the seats (again not much different but an upgrade). I dont like the new front lights or grill compared to the 2016. Defiantly think 2016 is better looking. The facelift being 230bhp again I cant see being a massive difference. A big concern is maybe the 2016 model will go down alot more in value? Any advice would be helpful thanks!

Also the car I will be selling towards the deal will go down in value next year and the facelift vrs will more than likely cost more! So money will be saved. I'm seriously think going for the 2016? 

Edited by bondylad007

It really all comes down to those front lights, to which there are many discussions.

I couldnt spend all that money and look at the front of the FL - its pretty bad.

• Haha 1

Go wth what you like. It seems to me that you are pretty sold on the 2016 model? I got a late 66 SE knowing the FL was on it`s way in, but like yourself went for the pre-FL. Buy what you like and enjoy it, otherwise you may end up regretting your decision. The FL is definately an accquired taste. 

The Octavia Mk3 has always been a car that suffered from depreciation despite it`s good qualities. Buy what you want, keep it for a good few years, get your money`s worth out of  it and enjoy it! 

You know it makes sense! 

I have a 66 Plate Pre FL 230 with almost the same spec at the Black one you are looking at. Far better looking than the squinty eyed FL.  I don't think the new 230 has the E Diff so the extra10bhp won't make all that much difference.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

8 hours ago, bondylad007 said:

Cheers for the replys. it's a big decision and no matter what they will both lose value. Some of money will be on 4 year finance so I will have the car for at least 5 years, probly more. I think its a decent deal. The VRS is black which I want and manual which can be hard to find and my preference. Yeah the look on the 2016 is much better and I think looks more definded. Originally I was looking at 2015 but again can be hard to find want you want. I'm 90% certain to get it but im concerned it maybe 'outdated' fairly soon? 

Edited by bondylad007

Undoubtedly the pre FL will start to look old before the FL as the FL becomes more familiar....I don't think the FL looks half bad now particularly in VRS form.

Each to their own of course and I don't know how much it will impact residuals, 

I'll stick my neck out and say I wouldn't buy the old model now, but then I have a new FL on order.  

Probably boils down to the bottom line....is the price right on the one you're considering?  Will you be in a better position to buy in a year's time?

As you want to buy used and want the car "sooner rather than later" maybe you have answered your own question?

I think you just need to be very wary of residuals.

The O3 is already well known for plummeting below its GFV come the end of a PCP, leading to people going down the voluntary termination road near the end.

Also, you will tend to get much better finance rates on a new car, so it's worth exploring what you can get on the likes of Carwow and DriveTheDeal, and working out the monthlies from there.

If it was me, I'd be going down the new route to be honest - and I actually quite like the FL now I've seen it in the flesh, especially in vRS trim.

17 minutes ago, vtec to vrs! said:

...leading to people going down the voluntary termination road near the end.

A point which I find a bit bizarre. My experience suggested that you can relatively easily sell these on privately. In which case everyone's a winner. Seller gets a better deal than either trading in or just handing back and the buyer saves a few £1000 over dealer prices. 

Just now, SC03OTT said:

A point which I find a bit bizarre. My experience suggested that you can relatively easily sell these on privately. In which case everyone's a winner. Seller gets a better deal than either trading in or just handing back and the buyer saves a few £1000 over dealer prices. 

Indeed, but you will still need to terminate a finance agreement before it can be sold...HPI checks etc.

Just now, vtec to vrs! said:

Indeed, but you will still need to terminate a finance agreement before it can be sold...HPI checks etc.

You dont need to. I didn't. So long as you're honest and up front, there are people who are happy to proceed. 

Just now, SC03OTT said:

You dont need to. I didn't. So long as you're honest and up front, there are people who are happy to proceed. 

Sorry yes, I just meant that if someone did an HPI check, then it could scare some potential buyers off before making contact.

Just now, vtec to vrs! said:

Sorry yes, I just meant that if someone did an HPI check, then it could scare some potential buyers off before making contact.

For sure, it will scare some off. Having said that, if I was looking at a car that was circa 3 years old Id actually be expecting it to have outstanding finance, whether it was stated or not. 

1 hour ago, SC03OTT said:

For sure, it will scare some off. Having said that, if I was looking at a car that was circa 3 years old Id actually be expecting it to have outstanding finance, whether it was stated or not. 

Its quite a big trust thing to rely on a private seller to settle the finance surely?  If I was buying privately I would expect  it to have been settled before I handed over any cash? You don't have much come back if they default and then the finance company repossesses?  

• Like 1

Really not sure what to do! :blink:! Maybe I should just go for it and not think too much. Next year im guessing a year old FL with decent spec etc would be at least 22k+ but this 2016 is nicely under 20k! Im stretching as it is and dont want to spend over 20k. Also will get a better price for my fiesta st now! Big decision! 

Edited by bondylad007

4 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Its quite a big trust thing to rely on a private seller to settle the finance surely?  If I was buying privately I would expect  it to have been settled before I handed over any cash? You don't have much come back if they default and then the finance company repossesses?  

You get them to settle right there and then in front of you. No risk there. 

So so in my case, I called VWFS when the guy was in my house and collecting the car. Outstanding finance was paid by him, balance of the deal was transferred to me. Simple. 

7 minutes ago, bondylad007 said:

Really not sure what to do! :blink:! Maybe I should just go for it and not think too much. Next year im guessing a year old FL with decent spec etc would be at least 22k+ but this 2016 is nicely under 20k! Im stretching as it is and dont want to spend over 20k. Also will get a better price for my fiesta st now! Big decision! 

Are you intending on buying cash or PCP / HP if you don't mind me asking?

13 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

You get them to settle right there and then in front of you. No risk there. 

So so in my case, I called VWFS when the guy was in my house and collecting the car. Outstanding finance was paid by him, balance of the deal was transferred to me. Simple. 

Not sure how the buyer can verify settlement has taken place? Not for me I'm afraid, too risky.

3 minutes ago, juan27 said:

Not sure how the buyer can verify settlement has taken place? Not for me I'm afraid, too risky.

They can verify because they're standing next to the phone, with you the seller, listening to the phone call. VWFS confirm on the phone that settlement has taken place. 

17 minutes ago, bondylad007 said:

im considering trading my car, some cash and the rest finance. I want to own the car and I don't like the idea of PCP. 

Fair enough if you're putting a good chunk of cash and a trade in. 

Only reason I was asking is that you tend to get a MUCH better finance rate, be it PCP or standard HP on a new car than you do a used one....just been through the new car procurement process and it really opened my eyes!

8 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

They can verify because they're standing next to the phone, with you the seller, listening to the phone call. VWFS confirm on the phone that settlement has taken place. 

So if we assume the seller needs the sale proceeds to settle, the buyer transfers maybe £20K on trust that the seller will then ring VWFS even with him standing over him? Nah.  

If you would be comfortable with that (as a buyer) absolutely fine of course, but I really wouldn't consider it.

1 minute ago, juan27 said:

So if we assume the seller needs the sale proceeds to settle, the buyer transfers maybe £20K on trust that the seller will then ring VWFS even with him standing over him? Nah.  

If you would be comfortable with that (as a buyer) absolutely fine of course, but I really wouldn't consider it.

What? No. 

Seller calls VWFS with buyer next to him. Buyer transerferrs money directly to VWFS. VWFS confirms they have the money. Any remaining balance gets transferred to seller. That's it. Deal done. Risk, zero. 

What at is the risk you're seeing here?

29 minutes ago, vtec to vrs! said:

Only reason I was asking is that you tend to get a MUCH better finance rate, be it PCP or standard HP on a new car than you do a used one....just been through the new car procurement process and it really opened my eyes!

I haven't seen Skoda openly offering much in the way of good rates on HP on new cars recently. If you can get one a personal loan is probably as cheap as their current rates for a PCP on the Octavia, if you're planning on keeping for 5 years, and you can sell it without settling the loan.

And (obviously) you can by new or used with no difference in the rate...

Edited by juan27

1 minute ago, SC03OTT said:

What? No. 

Seller calls VWFS with buyer next to him. Buyer transerferrs money directly to VWFS. VWFS confirms they have the money. Any remaining balance gets transferred to seller. That's it. Deal done. Risk, zero. 

What at is the risk you're seeing here?

OK I see how that could work.