2.0 PD 140 emission fix

theandywaite

Hi all!

I'm buying a 2008 VW Passat from a friend.

It's a very, very well looked after example with the 2.0 PD engine in 140ps guise, which I think was also fitted to Octavias and maybe Yetis.

He reckons it's had the "emission fix" but I didn't think it affected the PD engines?

Can someone confirm if this is right or my friend is mistaken?  Do you know what the changes they made would be?

Thanks!

The Passat got the new CR TDI engine in 2008, so the one in question will have either the old PD engine or the new CR engine. If it's a PD then no emissions fix was needed. If it's the new CR engine then it could be covered by the emissions fix saga.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As in my original post, I'm pretty sure it's a PD although you're now making me doubt it.

It just says 140ps inside the door and my friend isn't sure whether it's PD or CR.

The way I worked it out was by looking up the co2 g/km from the online tax / MOT checker, then looking up that on Parker's guide where it lists the specs.  The co2 figure on the online MOT checker matches for the 140 PD.  The 140 CR models on Parkers have lower co2.

Is there another easy way to tell?

?

How long have they had the car / been the keeper on the V5?

?

Is it a very good running car?  if so whats the issue.

?

How does your friend not know if their car meant they received a letter from VW, & they then put the car in an had work & The Fix done, or just the Fix.

They would have been asked to sign the permission, or should have been.

The car has been in the same family from brand new and has been extremely well cared for (one of my reasons for buying).  It has zero faults and is running fine.  It won't affect my decision to buy it.

Would like to understand if it's CR or PD because:

1. If it's PD it's due a cam belt change at 80k
  2. If it's had the emission fix, I want to be prepared for any ill-effects and may consider asking an indy to remap / reverse it (not sure if it's worth it or possible)
  3. So I can generally research that engine type and find out any common issues / upgrades etc

I just want to be informed so I can make better decisions.  I'm confused because the emissions on the V5 indicate it's a PD, yet my friend insists it's been back for the emission fix recall.

I found on another forum the direction of the stripes on the plastic engine cover is an indicator. Diagonal stripes //// means CR and vertical stripes |||| means PD (apparently).

Edited by naxtek

Your friend only needs to call a VW Main Dealership or VW UK Customer services and ask, or email them and check was The Fix done, 

then you will have a reply in writing, 

and also a '2 year VW warranty of types 'post fix', which would be a very nice thing to have'.

The Dealership can even tell your friend what engine the car has from the VIN / REg Number, but then if it had The Fix you know it is a CR anyway.

OK all sorted - 

• Yes it's an early 140ps CR (yay, I think)
  • Yes it's had "the fix" (boo)
  • I got the co2 emissions muddled

Thanks for your help... now off to look up threads about the 2.0 CR fix.

• Like 1

Someone with The Gear / software and more than an idea can remap it. 

and until that the VW Group are giving a peace of mind guarantee of sorts if it all goes t!ts up.