steering noise at low speed

•  
  • Locomotive
  • 1 post
  • Car:2014 roomster se 1.2 tsi dsg

I'm having problems with creaking sounds from the steering when performing low speed manoevres, parking particularly, or very slow speed corners, (only when turning the wheel to the right), I did read something about it on this site, but I can't find the article, can anybody help with the info (2014 Roomster), I've had it back to the Skoda Dealer, but they said there was nothing wrong. Thanks in anticipation (I've moved this post because I put it in with somebody else's by mistake, sorry)

Locomotive

The steering noise is mentioned briefly in a reply to this post:

On 26/10/2016 at 18:15, Fadec said:

Hi all, looking to buy a 1.2 tsi roomster, having a quick read of some posts I can see there has been some cam chain/ tensioner problems.

I should be trying to get as new a car ( 64 or 15 reg ) as I can, I would be interested if anyone has any comments to make regarding this.

Thanks in advance

The same noise has started recently  in my 64 plate 1.2 tsi. It's in for a service at a main dealer next month when I will have it investigated.

Locomotive

Much more about the problem  in the replies to this post:

On 13/04/2016 at 20:09, roomster15 said:

Hey all, 

New to the forum and in need of some expert advice from you all.

I am a proud owner of the Skoda Roomster TSI 86hp, bought it new last year from the cheap deal the dealers had for the last roomsters.

Car have been driving nicely and have been to very long journeys, now racking up almost 20000miles in 1 year.

Recently, well earlier this week, I suddenly hear this weird creaking noise when I turn my steering wheel.

For example when I back out of my parking space, slowly turning the wheel left or right, it makes this scary creaking noise. This also happens when I drive slowly forward. 

Now my question is -  Is there a known fault for this cars steering? since my car is only 1 years old, I don't suppose anything will start breaking so soon.

Thanks for all your lovely advise and help in advance  :notme:

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, It's going in to the dealer on the13th for inspection, should be interesting, I asked could someone sit in it and listen to the noise, no, it  has to go on the ramp with a mechanic, I can see problems ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Locomotive

I have a similar model and age Roomster as yours. It has developed the same noise which I hear on low speed steering manoeuvres. However on two visits to the dealer, the technicians insist they cannot hear the noise and no action has been taken. I was told yesterday  that a visual inspection revealed no faults, yet the noise persists.

It's worse in dry weather, maybe because wet weather reduces the friction of tyres on the road?

I would be grateful if you would report back on what parts get fitted to your car so that I can take it up again with my garage?

I only got the car back from the dealers last night, sounds good now, apparently they fitted new steering arms to both sides and rubber boots. This was the second time I put it in for inspection, they said they couldn' find anything both times, but agreed to fix it (under extended warranty), so it must be a common fault, they found rust on stripping it down but didn't specify exactly where it was. When I put it in the first time I suggested rust on the track rod ends or lack of grease  because it didn't do it when the roads were wet and the rain was lubricating the joints. (that was my theory anyway) how can I see the technical notification you've mentioned? That could be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A passing thought, when the car's on the ramp there's very little friction on the tyres hence very little noise when you turn the wheel, possibly why they can't find it, I never managed to get somebody to sit in the car while I turned the steering wheel, each time I took the car in it wasn't doing it, but it was doing it manoevring on the road.

Locomotive.

Thanks for telling us your good news.

I drove one of the technicians around the car park, reversing into parking spaces and driving out on full lock.  I thought the noise was quite audible, but he insisted he couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. When he said that automatics made such noises (my car is a DSG) I realised I was going to get nowhere! His colleague also failed to hear any noise.

I found this in Professional Motor mechanic magazine relating to many Skoda models, so it appears to be  not a rare problem:

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/how-to-fix-a-rear-knocking-noise-on-a-mazda-5-2/

Perhaps it's time to use an independent garage...  

Edited by moleinaroomster
double the
  • Like 1

Reading that article sums it up exactly, new arms and rubber boots (gaiters) has done the business, the only thing that doesn't make sense is, if the gaiters weren't split how did the water get in to cause the rust? maybe it was there from new.

On 22/08/2017 at 20:16, moleinaroomster said:

Locomotive

The steering noise is mentioned briefly in a reply to this post:

The same noise has started recently  in my 64 plate 1.2 tsi. It's in for a service at a main dealer next month when I will have it investigated.

Service Desk staff are not going to show you the TPI or print it out, but there is a TPI and the Master Tech, Tech or even the fitter or Workshop Manager should know that well enough unless they are 'Tommy'. 

Odd that so many are deaf dumb and blind or just stupid when this is their full time job.

• Like 1

Head...

I have emailed Skoda customer services asking for an investigation.

Being a cynical old fellow, the thought did cross my mind that possibly the dealer is reluctant to identify faults whilst the vehicle is still under warranty.