Superb Hatch SEL 190tdi MPG

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Hatch SEL 190tdi, the mpg figures look very impressive on paper; does anybody have an real world figures? I don't trust to computer as my VRS is always 10mpg lower when I calculate real world versus computer.

Thanks

Based on my 190 DSG Combi4x4 you will be looking at low to mid 40s.  I get 42-43 and would expect a non 4x4 to be marginally better.  Others in the Forum are getting figures for theirs around 30% below the 'official' data.

I often get figures below 40 and that is with the car not being driven hard either!  My supplying Dealer seemed to think what I get is typical of the 190 engine.  The 150 seems to do much better and is closer to published data..

Edited by FelisBengalensis

Hi,

Real world 65 plate 190 SEL hatch:

• Long term figure for last 1200 miles was 52.3 mpg - mainly motorway and A roads including a drive back from central France
  • best ever on a 25 mile journey was just shy of 70mpg - but that was testing to see how frugal I could be - and it was doing my head in
  • realistically you could expect late 40's to mid 50's on general day to day

Hope this is of help

I have a 12 mile commute to work of which only 5miles of this is motorway the rest being stop/start traffic and most being on a incline.

Best I have every achieved going to work on a Sat morning with NO traffic has been 51mpg

On a typical day I get around 42mpg

On a bad day 38mpg

You will find eco mode to be the best choice if you want the most amount of miles for your £££...above 20mph if you take your foot of the loud pedal a DSG gearbox will go into coasting mode...effectively 'neutral' and it will glide along using no fuel at all.....be warned if the road starts to go downhill it does have a tendency to run away with itself as there is no engine(?) braking....equally if the road on a incline it was loose speed...

Best I've seen was a lovely run upto Newcastle from Leeds and I got 57mpg and this was with 4 alloys wheels + Tyres in the boot... I really must have had a tail wind that day..!!!

If I compare this to my old car which was a Superb MK2 L&K in 140bhp and manual spec I'd that my new car is roughly 10% better on the motorway but 10% worst on the daily commute..

My longer term average over the 3000miles I've done in the car since I bought it is.....................44.5mpg.

So I took the Shell challenge and used V-Power and I did see a 2-3mpg increase over the course of a normal weeks commute, on the motorway it made no difference compared to 'supermarket' quality fuel. I am still using V-Power as the higher octane + additives can only be a good thing in the protection of all the oily parts.

I have found if I get to the given speed limit on a road quickly I will get a better fuel consumption than lazily accelerating  up to it....  Give it the boot  get to say 40mph...back off.. a cruise with the rev ticking over somewhere around 1100rpm....

Just be careful your not in Sports mode or if you boot it from a crawl you will light up the wheels and get the traction control to engage.....

My logic maybe flawed but you do get a little smile when your in the sweet spot..the cars will 'Go' when you want it to.

8 hours ago, Zenbasses said:

take your foot of the loud pedal a DSG gearbox will go into coasting mode...effectively 'neutral' and it will glide along using no fuel at all.....

I don't think you understand the concept of coasting

Now I accept that I may have a heavy foot and the last 3-4 refuels have been when there is towing involved but 40 mpg is about my average without the towing refuels and I almost always drive in eco engine mode coasting a lot. DSG gear box. fuelly figures below and up to date.

On 26/08/2017 at 19:21, SuperbTWM said:

I don't think you understand the concept of coasting

I might be of been totally wrong but according to the Vw website the definition of coasting is as follows and I read this as basically the clutch disengages and effectively is in neutral... 

I might of course be totally wrong

Actually i haven't actually worked out in what situation you would 'N" on a DSG.... 

Happy to learn as always :cool:

In the zero-load state (foot off the accelerator) the clutch is automatically disengaged and the engine is held at idling speed. As a result the vehicle can coast for a distance that does not subsequently have to be covered by the use of fuel. The benefit in terms of fuel consumption in practical usage on the road stems from the fact that the vehicle’s kinetic energy is only used to overcome the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag, and no longer to keep the engine turning at high speed on the overrun. If the driver indicates a wish to slow the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, the clutch is engaged once again in order to utilise the overrun switch-off effect of the engine; the fuel supply is interrupted and the engine braking effect once again reduces the overrun distance of the vehicle. Alternatively the minus button on the steering wheel can be used to the same effect.

11 hours ago, Zenbasses said:

I might be of been totally wrong but according to the Vw website the definition of coasting is as follows and I read this as basically the clutch disengages and effectively is in neutral... 

I might of course be totally wrong

Actually i haven't actually worked out in what situation you would 'N" on a DSG.... 

Happy to learn as always :cool:

In the zero-load state (foot off the accelerator) the clutch is automatically disengaged and the engine is held at idling speed. As a result the vehicle can coast for a distance that does not subsequently have to be covered by the use of fuel. The benefit in terms of fuel consumption in practical usage on the road stems from the fact that the vehicle’s kinetic energy is only used to overcome the rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag, and no longer to keep the engine turning at high speed on the overrun. If the driver indicates a wish to slow the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, the clutch is engaged once again in order to utilise the overrun switch-off effect of the engine; the fuel supply is interrupted and the engine braking effect once again reduces the overrun distance of the vehicle. Alternatively the minus button on the steering wheel can be used to the same effect.

First of all I do apologise for the bluntness of my post, I don't realise how things come across sometimes.

Basically when the car is coasting in neutral, the manufacturers seem to have mislead people into thinking that this is the best way to save fuel. But in fact when the wheels are not turning the engine through engine braking you have to remember that the engine has to use FUEL to keep it ticking over.

So you may be able to roll further than in gear but you have used extra fuel to keep the engine idling whereas keeping it in gear uses no fuel but you can't roll as far without touching the accelerator again so they kind of cancel each other out in my eyes.

16 hours ago, philbes said:

I use 'N' when stopped for more than a few seconds.  My car doesn't have stop-start (thank goodness).

If you put the parking brake on the gearbox selects neutral.

If you use the auto handbrake you don't even have to do that, simply stop.

14 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

First of all I do apologise for the bluntness of my post, I don't realise how things come across sometimes.

Basically when the car is coasting in neutral, the manufacturers seem to have mislead people into thinking that this is the best way to save fuel. But in fact when the wheels are not turning the engine through engine braking you have to remember that the engine has to use FUEL to keep it ticking over.

So you may be able to roll further than in gear but you have used extra fuel to keep the engine idling whereas keeping it in gear uses no fuel but you can't roll as far without touching the accelerator again so they kind of cancel each other out in my eyes.

You may be underestimating  the potential consumption benefits from coasting.

We run the metric system here in Australia and the L/100 km mode, when the car is stationary and ticking over the display reverts to L/Hour.

My previous Octavia was a 1.9pd and that showed idle consumption (warmed up, no A/C or other load) as 0.5L/hour even for the fairly fast idle speed of 900rpm.

Coasting at a very low speed of 20kph infers a consumption of 40km/litre which is 113mpg; 40kph coasting 226mpg and so on.

What I don't know is the idle consumption of the 2.0tdi in its various power output forms but I'd be surprised if it were much more than the old 1.9PD.

I do agree with you that braking using the gears uses no fuel, and I tend to use both techniques but not in any way that will impede other drivers.

17 hours ago, facet edge said:

If you put the parking brake on the gearbox selects neutral.

If you use the auto handbrake you don't even have to do that, simply stop.

Not on my car it doesn't.  The car strains against the drag of the handbrake.  No auto handbrake.

9 hours ago, philbes said:

Not on my car it doesn't.  The car strains against the drag of the handbrake.  No auto handbrake.

Your profile says you drive an Octavia. Maybe that's why.

18 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

You may be underestimating  the potential consumption benefits from coasting.

We run the metric system here in Australia and the L/100 km mode, when the car is stationary and ticking over the display reverts to L/Hour.

My previous Octavia was a 1.9pd and that showed idle consumption (warmed up, no A/C or other load) as 0.5L/hour even for the fairly fast idle speed of 900rpm.

Coasting at a very low speed of 20kph infers a consumption of 40km/litre which is 113mpg; 40kph coasting 226mpg and so on.

What I don't know is the idle consumption of the 2.0tdi in its various power output forms but I'd be surprised if it were much more than the old 1.9PD.

I do agree with you that braking using the gears uses no fuel, and I tend to use both techniques but not in any way that will impede other drivers.

There is some benefit from coasting but I imagine in Australia there are probably more situations where it would be be beneficial. To get the most out of coasting you need to be reading the road well ahead and in the real world, this means slowing down gradually before you get to say a junction which in the UK means having an Audi driver right up your bumper all the time.

I think the thing with coasting is that, in  order to get any benefit, you need to learn the skill of using it to advantage. It is quite surprising just how far you can 'coast', not only on a favourable gradient but also in many other situations. (much more than the old knock it out approach) It is much more than simply 'slowing down gradually' before a junction etc. 

Driving along in coast, need to brake, then quickly touch the throttle and back into coast again.

If you have the patience to work on it I have no doubt that you would make some improvement as suggested by Gerrycan's figures. Of course it would be difficult to calculate exactly what saving is made on any specific journey due to all the variables but the engineering principle is sound. 

I would expect anyone who likes to drive economically all the time would see a reasonable overall benefit. That , of course, being why the manufacturers can claim that a benefit exists.

However, since it does require a modified and consistent style of driving it is unlikely that many people will stick with it for long; especially the 220/280 brigades :biggrin: 

190 dsg se-l estate. 18k on the clock, reg in Nov 2015.

on a motorway cruise at 70 over a trip 30-40 miles i can get 50/55 mpg. but that is nursing it carefully.

on a normal day to day usage - a roads, town trips etc - again careful driving, i usually brim to brim at c.45mpg.

if driven fast on the motorway, usually down to low/mid 40's.

wish i'd gone for the 150 now, or a petrol.

Hi, there seems to be a lot of difference in mpg figures (as always!). I have a SEL 190 DSG Estate, have just returned from a trip around parts of belgium, holland and france - averaging 80/85mph on motorways using ACC and air con almost all the time and I have averaged 53.5mpg (according to car so accept real world is a bit less) but at end of first tank I had done 697 miles before fuel warning light came on. For me given that it is a large car, with an auto gearbox am happy with that figure. Mine is a Dec 2016 car with 10k on clock. When nursing the car I have achieved 64mpg.