How to black out headlights legally (uk)

Hi guys, 

I'm new to the forum, so if this question has already been answered could someone please kindly point me in the right direction to solve the issue?

so Ive got a 2014 1.6 Octavia black edition and the headlights on the car are silver in colour but Ive lowered the car, blacked the windows and now the lights just ruin the look of the car because they are not blackened. People have said to me before to use tights to cover the light but i know this is illegal. 

I could go and spend a fortune on new lights, but has anyone had any experience with this please?

is there a way of removing the head lamp assembly then painting the back ground?

what are cheap easy and LEGAL ways of doing this?

thanks again for any help!

Toby.

The background - do you mean the reflector?

How have you tinted the windows? - be careful you are still legal:-

"Vehicles first used on 1 April 1985 or later - The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through."

A friend of mine was pulled for this - had to have it removed and present the car for inspection. When he did so he was also told off for having a stanav on the windscreen!

Edited by bigjohn

Yeah the reflective backing in the actual head lamp.

ive had the windows done professionally, not the front ones just rear. They are all legal. But yeah like you said the whole subject is hit and miss. 

Toby.

1 hour ago, TobyFeeney29 said:

Yeah the reflective backing in the actual head lamp.

ive had the windows done professionally, not the front ones just rear. They are all legal. But yeah like you said the whole subject is hit and miss. 

Toby.

Have you considered a headlamp tint from

where you got your windows done or a DIY kit off eBay?

The place my car had its windows tinted does this service for around £40.

Not my car, but that's what it looks like. It's legal too apparently, the products he uses still permits the % for road use

Edited by courty

10 hours ago, courty said:

Have you considered a headlamp tint from

where you got your windows done or a DIY kit off eBay?

The place my car had its windows tinted does this service for around £40.

Not my car, but that's what it looks like. It's legal too apparently, the products he uses still permits the % for road use

Are we sure this is legal? Only drama i would have with that is that my backing in the head lamp is silver so it would still look bright. 

Yeah, as above. You can't paint the reflector. It's there to, well, reflect. 

Youre best bet would be to tint. Keep in mind though it'll reduce light output, even if it is by a small amount. 

23 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

...it'll reduce light output, even if it is by a small amount. 

:nod: it does.

And it's noticeable, but not drastic. The darker the tint, the worse it will be, obviously. 

There is a product known as 'fly eyes' that is basically a perforated tint film. I've not used it but it may be worth a go - IIRC it's advertised as legal, and allows more light output. Just doesn't look right up close IMHO.

Not sure what insurance or bored plod would think of a car's lights being tinted, affecting light output and your ability to see at night. A bit like polishing brake discs to make them more shiny and bling!

15 hours ago, TobyFeeney29 said:

Not really sure how you think it’s hit and miss, the front windscreen and front doors are already at the maximum level for tinting allowed in the UK (even clear ‘security film’ is meant to push it just over the legal limit) so you cannot legally add ANYTHING.

As for tinting the headlights... it will be like driving around with dirty headlights, whilst I agree style is important on a car... not when it has an adverse effect the performance of the lights (front OR rear).

7 hours ago, TobyFeeney29 said:

Are we sure this is legal? Only drama i would have with that is that my backing in the head lamp is silver so it would still look bright. 

According to the installer I used it is yes, he wouldn't tint my front side windows for me when I asked to drop him an extra £50 due to the law so I guess the lights would be the same. The stuff is £15-20 on eBay 

• Like 1

The reflectors are also there to reflect other people's headlights when you're parked up and they're driving towards you at night.

Worst case you chav them black.  They don't reflect, someone drives into you and you end up paying as it's an illegal mod.

This is what i mean by blacken my headlights. 

Not sure if some are on about what i am. I dont want to put a film or a tint over the entire headlight. I just want the headlights to have a black colour? Like these ones? 

9 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

I tinted mine with a very light tint film, including foglights:

20161231_120234.thumb.jpg.a5988517d7b8ca738fabe8da6137d42a.jpg

Taken it off again for now though, I hadn't got it quite right and water got behind. Cost about £6 from eBay so will give it another go.

IMG_0063.JPG

• 3 years later...
On 14/07/2021 at 10:36, JohnnyType2 said:

tinted mine with no issues at mot both from and back, I think it was called light smoke.
20190409_180835.jpg

20190409_183444.jpg

Looks gorgeous, well done mate

Edited by Noms