:tongueout:

I am looking to swap mint 03 Ford Focus 1.4 petrol (a horrible car imo) for a 04 Skoda Octavia 1.9 deisel also mint. Both same mileage circa 170,000 .. test driven and I loved it .. is it a wise decision. Have owned 2 Octavias petrol old and wonderful. One was killed in NCT test (she was 17 yrs old) and the other was crashed into and airbags and bonnet destroyed (she was 8 yrs)

advice welcome

as the Ford was temporary and must go

the pic below is just an Internet pic representing what the Skoda I speak of looks like.. might I get a swap?

IMG_3666.JPG

true...then ill just have to tell him forget it unless its a direct swap.

he did say tho when i bought the focus, that skodas depreciate more quickly in value than fords

that fords are more in demand in ireland. but he couldnt get me a skoda fast enough, id been in a crash and needed

a new cheap car fast

how much more quids might he ask for considering that a) he wants bucks (retired dealer still does cars for the love of it, and is a family friend)

does anyone know?

Edited by Skodalover4ever
after thought

both cars are totally mint, and paperwork servicing totally up to scratch (both have 11 months NCT left)

they are literally like perfect to go

i just realised i never considered the insurance.. it will rocket wont it..

its hopeless

i am skodaless

and doomed to drive a lumpy feeling slug of a ford 

excuse me while i burst into tears

Edited by Skodalover4ever

• 3 weeks later...

At that end of the market reliability would be my only concern, not looks, colour, equipment levels, how it drives, nothing. When I scrapped my FIAT, I picked up a 13 year old Proton diesel from my trusted mechanic for £480 that looked a little ropey outside and in but had a new service, new MOT, water pump and radiator. It was a fine commuting vehicle for my 15000 miles a year and pretty much free to run apart from putting diesel in it. 18 months later it sold for £375.

Edited by camelspyyder

• 1 month later...

Cars of that age can look mint, but hide a lot of issues underneath. We part exchanged my wifes fabia estate 1.9tdi 53 reg, 3 years ago,  due to needing a new exhaust, brake discs, driveshaft, wheel bearing, cambelt, front shocks and probably main brake lines before it could take another mot in around 6 months. I estimated £1800 of work required on an otherwise very good condition, 75k mile car.

Car was worth £800 in good condition, but got the dealer to up to £1k against a used car that they had just discounted by £2400 to clear it by year end.

• Thanks 1