Cambelt snapped on motorway

Taximark

On 03/09/2017 at 23:24, williamshatnerspants said:

Sorry to hear about the car, good luck with the fix/replacement. It does make me nervous about our car (160,000kms) 7 years old.... and on the original belt. We are planning a big road trip at Xmas and I hadn't intended on replacing the belt before then. Given yours went at 180,000kms I might change my mind and get it done early!

Get it changed mate !

My mate told be to do it before I went on holiday and I didn't, I put it off til I came back and now I'm screwed big time .

• Like 1

On 02/09/2017 at 15:23, Taximark said:

Belt was changed 2 yrs ago at 85k it's now done 196k so due ...however Skoda today say it's every 4 to 5 or 140k miles which I find too high although I've left it too high imho.

Surely, if Skoda state 140k or 5 years between cambelt changes and it fails before those times, then the cost ought to be done to Skoda??

You say it was replaced 2 years ago at 85k, so in 2 years you have only done 111k which is some 3 years or 29k below their stated figures. Whats the point of them giving figures if they cannot be relied upon? Come to that, how come it was replaced at only 85k then?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

Surely, if Skoda state 140k or 5 years between cambelt changes and it fails before those times, then the cost ought to be done to Skoda??

You say it was replaced 2 years ago at 85k, so in 2 years you have only done 111k which is some 3 years or 29k below their stated figures. Whats the point of them giving figures if they cannot be relied upon? Come to that, how come it was replaced at only 85k then?

My water pump failed so I had it done with it .

It was done at a non Skoda garage so I guess that gets them off the hook .