Noisy engine, low oil

@Awayoffski @moley ok will check the handbook cheers guys. Not sure what oil he used. I'll find out. What oil do you suspect was used that could have caused this issue? Yeah I'll top it up and keep a close eye on it to see if it goes down again, over the next few days whilst I await for the car to be professionally looked at. Not noticed any blue exhaust gases, again will keep an eye out. Thanks for the input

@Wino ok thanks for that! And not to sound like a complete novice. When taking the oil filler cap off, it looks like this. Is that correct? Thought it would be more of an opening if that makes sense? For the oil to go into, as was going to purchase a funnel to make it easier but don't think one will fit in there 

Also I've now noticed around he engine, there's bits of rubber exposed slightly. These are oily to touch, could this be the issue?  (Such as in that picture to the right of the oil filler hole) and in the second picture where highlighted.

IMG_5604.thumb.JPG.269c82eac830a04f6d084c7a5ed1c1a1.JPG 

IMG_5606.thumb.PNG.370754a362181b826572806093c60aa5.PNG

Funnel is a good idea, but you (or an assistant) will have to hold it vertical while the oil is poured.  Pour slowly too, as it takes a while to drain round that spiral bit.  Might be an idea to transfer some out of your oil container into a smaller jug.  Pour in a pint, wait 1 minute, check level on dipstick, pour in half a pint, check level. Repeat until level is in the right area of the dipstick.

The chain cover, cam cover and sump are all sealed with RTV type silicone, rather than traditional gaskets, so some evidence of this sealant is inevitable.  Not sure that yours doesn't look more prominent than the factory original, will go have a look at ours to compare.  Yours may have been worked on since it left the factory.  The sealant near the filler hole may well have got oily due to spillage from careless pouring at the last service.

@Wino cheers for that. Will see if I can draft in some help. 

Right ok that makes sense, that's good to know as wasn't sure if it was some sort of gasket that was exposed. 

Still baffled to where all this oil went. Theres no way I'm not reading the oil level correctly is there? I checked when the car was warm and I've checked this morning where the car hasn't been used since yesterday. And defo showing the oil is really low :/

Different coloured sealant on the sump than yours, but that may just be a different part number used in the history of these engines, ours is 2005.

Is there any history of the car having been repaired w.r.t. timing chain or similar?

20170902_110507.jpg

20170902_110521.jpg

Hi there, sorry to see you are having trouble with your car. This may sound silly but have you checked the sump plug is done up properly because on my 1.4 fabia 2 I failed to tighted the sump plug up enough meaning I lost a lot of oil. I am not sure if this is also applicable but my engine liked shell helux ultra 5w40, you can get 5l for abou £22 on carparts4less.

@Wino just double checked but yeah just the angle of the picture

@moley thanks for the pics helped alot

@fabia88 haven't checked that yet, but have briefly checked under the car and can't see any leaks. What do I need to tighten that up, and does it have to be tighten up to a specific torque?

I just topped the car up with oil and it took nearly 2 litres!

On our htp the sump plug has a female 6mm hex in it, so a 6mm male hex bit to do it up. 

30Nm rings a bell. Will double check that and correct it shortly if necessary. Yep, 30Nm is right.

If it's loose enough to have leaked a load of oil, it should be obvious once you look under there.

Edited by Wino

Thanks everyone for their input on this.

I topped up the oil earlier today with some mobil 5w40 oil. It's now just under the max line, didn't want to risk over filling it. I took the car out for a drive this afternoon and checked the oil level again once the car had rested and so far the oil hasn't dropped. I'll continue to monitor it everyday until the mechanic comes to take a look, and going forward I think I'll check it on a weekly basis. Always been told to do that, but never had issues like this with cars or bikes in the past. 

I did check under the car and around he sump plug but can't see any leaks

Hopefully the mechanic can give me the final verdic of what it is, will keep you posted. If anyone has anything else I can try etc feel free to let me know

• Like 1

^^^ Not really suggesting going for 'much cheapness' or even buying to save money, and oil that is more expensive is not always 'better' anyway.

Just wondering if the 'recommended oil' for a 1.2HTP is 'Full Synthetic', and if it is to VW502 00, and 'semi synthetic' is a no no in a 1.2htp.

@Awayoffski was that first question directed to me? If so I'm confused haha.

I think the oil the mechanic used was 5w30 would this have made any difference?

I'm not sure if recommended is only fully synthetic, I just went with the recommendations from here and online searches

14 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Just asking generally anyone what the recommended oil is for a 1.2htp on Fixed Servicing.

What does the owners manuals say.

Petrol engines: VW 501 01, VW 502 00, VW504 00.

WP_20170902_006.jpg

• Thanks 1

VW501.01 is for engines built before 2000, up to  August 1999 and are the likes of 10w 40 Semi Synthetic,  so best give that a miss.

Edited by Awayoffski

Had the mechanic out this evening. Since I topped up the car with oil last Saturday I've done about 30 miles of town driving. So low revs about 30/40mph. I've checked the oil daily and it's not dropped.

The mechanic took the car out for a 6 mile drive and said he kept the revs high to test it. When he came back he checked the oil and it had lost a litre! He did some other checks such as taking the spark plugs out which were new 500 miles ago and they were contaminated with oil. Also said there is a bit of blue smoke so due to all of that the best bet is the valve oil seals may need replacing. Does that sound about right? Also was due to do a trip tomorrow of 120 miles so will be postponing that. Unless anyone thinks I can get away with it.

Edited by CamFabiaMk2
Correction