Buying Advice Bad points and Good

Ennine

Hello everyone. If I am posting in the wrong place I apologise. I am new here, having just signed up and it feels a little like walking into a room full of strangers having been a member of another forum for the past five years, I am leaving familier surroundings and venturing into the unknown. I am looking to replace my current vehicle which I love but feel it's time to move on. Having scoured makes and models of all shapes and sizes the only thing that has come close to stirring me is the Superb Elegance Estate 2008- onwards. It would need to be an auto and diesel. I know my present car inside out but nothing about the Superb. Reliability issues, common problems, things to look out for, things to avoid. Experience has taught me the best information comes from owners. If there is a guide please point me there or offer me any advice. I will hide in the corner now.

Nige

Good choice :)

Try to read other posts - but like with any other car - service history is most important. 

I would suggest 2.0 TDI 170, estate, DSG and 4x4 - even if you don't need 4x4 ;) bit worse mpg - but much better handling.

I have base model - without fancy stuff - but I wasn't looking for those ;) engine + 4x4 was enough :)

DSG have to be serviced every 40k miles - so if wasn't - walk away. Engine can be on variable - even every 20k - but I personally do full one every 10k.

Edited by jafo

Thank you. This is a slow learning curve for me. moving from a vehicle I know every nut and bolt about to one I know zero about. DSG is the autobox, I get that. When you say serviced, can that be owner serviced?
I did manage to find a post that mentioned a buyers guide but I've been unable to find it. Please do excuse my complete lack of knowledge of the Superb. I'm trying to do my research before starting my search for real. Rule it in or rule it out. I've done a few searches for the common spares, pads, discs etc and the prices seem fine so it's past the first post, the next is what it demands from Main dealer Only as opposed to home mechanic. I dislike garages.

Nige

12 hours ago, Ennine said:

Hello everyone. If I am posting in the wrong place I apologise. I am new here, having just signed up and it feels a little like walking into a room full of strangers having been a member of another forum for the past five years, I am leaving familier surroundings and venturing into the unknown. I am looking to replace my current vehicle which I love but feel it's time to move on. Having scoured makes and models of all shapes and sizes the only thing that has come close to stirring me is the Superb Elegance Estate 2008- onwards. It would need to be an auto and diesel. I know my present car inside out but nothing about the Superb. Reliability issues, common problems, things to look out for, things to avoid. Experience has taught me the best information comes from owners. If there is a guide please point me there or offer me any advice. I will hide in the corner now.

Nige

One slight pain on mine is to get to anything on the underside of the car you have a lot of plastic under panels to remove.  Easy on a ramp - bit of a pain at home. Not sure if this is the case with all Superb IIs as mine is the facelift with lower CO2 - the underside covering may be for improved aerodynamics.

Saying that except for a German dealer checking things out after I had an engine management light don't think mine has ever been removed (my fault - I'd overfilled with petrol - no charge though). I suppose it does protect the underside though.

Many things easy DIY (brakes, wheel bearings, suspension  etc) but others less so (DSG gearbox, DPF, Injection)

Something like Ross Tech VCDS essential to diagnose codes etc.

Other than the overfilling with petrol when topping up with cheap fuel in Luxembourg just after I bought it mine has been faultless thus far (3 1/2 years & 48k miles).

Compared to the Rover 75 - Superb II still has many similar types of potential failures- Turbo, MAF, DMF, clutch(manual), concentric slave cylinder(manual), brakes . In addition almost all diesel Superb IIs will be fitted with a DPF (as would any newer diesel car)

Edited by bigjohn

The DSG service is possible at home but you will need VCDS to do the diagnostic part of the service plus a special tool for the drain/fill plugs. From reading about it here, it seems the cost difference between main dealer, independent mechanic and DIY is marginal for this job and you're as well off having it done by a main dealer. It must be done every 60000 km - if it hasn't been done, walk away.

Thank you, bigjohn and chimaera. I checked out the DPF prices and they seemed pretty reasonable, Certainly no shock factor there.  The 75 doesn't really suffer too much in the DMF area but clutches and master/slaves  can certainly be an issue. Mine is an auto so that's not a problem. Of course there are those who would say you can't do an auto fluid change yourself on a 75 but that is not true. Taking on board the comment regarding the DSG it would be sensible for me to check out the cost of that at a service centre. It is recurring costs that I am trying to avoid as much as possible and I have a fairly solid mistrust of garages. If I head the superb route I'd be hoping for solid history with no urgent need for gearbox or belt surgery.

Nige

The DSG does have a DMF and they can wear out, though not as quickly as they would in a manual car so keep that in mind. If you're going to maintain the car yourself, you will need to invest in VAG specific diagnostics, such as VCDS or VCP. A day's subscription to erWin to download the service manuals would be worth your while too.

13 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Be aware the Superb II DSG has a DMF

Thank you.  New knowledge now acquired. Oh, no torque converter.  had a quick look now at DSG gearboxes. I will need to do a little more in depth. Are the DMFs reliable or prone to failure ?   Ah, question answered whilst typing my reply. Thank you and I seem to have botched this reply.

Nige

Edited by Ennine

A DMF is a wear component no matter what it's fitted to. Over time the springs weaken and eventually fail necessitating replacement. The wear is due to shock loading when the clutch is engaged and disengaged.

In the DSG it will last longer since the computer is in charge of gear shifts and clutch actuation and tends to be gentler and more consistent in how it loads up the DMF. I'm not sure I've seen anyone on this forum commenting on needing to change one.

Easiest way to think about the DSG is that it's two computer controlled manual gearboxes with a pair of clutches connecting them. One side has the odd numbered gears and the other side has the even gears. The computer preselects the next gear and switches the clutches to execute the gearchange.

14 minutes ago, chimaera said:

Easiest way to think about the DSG is that it's two computer controlled manual gearboxes with a pair of clutches connecting them. One side has the odd numbered gears and the other side has the even gears. The computer preselects the next gear and switches the clutches to execute the gearchange.

On the more powerful engines with the six speed "wet" clutches DSG - this is much more reliable

Onthe smaller engines - with the seven speed "dry" clutch DSG  - less so although newer better

Edited by bigjohn

I had a fl Mk2 Superb Greenline from new in 2013 until very recently. I thought the car was really first class and almost faultless. My only very minor gripes were as follows:

1. Centre tunnel hard plastic used to irritate my left knee

2. Absence of drinks holders

3. Driver seat bolster wear on leather from accessing the car.

Overall the car was truly brilliant. Good luck.

• Like 1

Well, having done a 100 mile round trip to take a look at a Superb Estate at a Skoda main dealer, I arrived to find it sold.  None-the-less I did get to sit in a hatch model and was fairly impressed. Also had a look/sit in an Octavia. Looking at some online reviews on the Superb I did find mention of failing belt tensioners. Was there a particular engine this related to?
I think it will be a Superb estate for me with DSG so time to relax and look for the right spec and price to come along.

Nige

I converted from a Focus to the Superb last November and it has been the best move I have ever made with choice of cars.  For a while I was looking at Volvo V70/XC70 and Mondeo Estates but as soon as I got to sit in, and test a Superb Estate, I knew it was the choice for me.  The running and service costs alone are much more favourable than the Volvo and even Mondeo, and I found the latest Mondeo boot space seemed limited despite it being an estate.  My car happened to come up at the local dealer and I ended up buying it pretty much there and then, low miles and in mint condition with tow bar fitted etc, ticked most of the boxes and I loved the colour.  Ideally I would have held out for a 170 model but after test driving I was more than happy with the 140 manual and I do tow a heavy trailer at times, with no issue.  I am not sure how I would have got on with the DSG as I have never driven such a car, the manual keeps me in control, just depends on what style of driving you like.  I see you are in the Highlands, I am running up to Lochinver from South Scotland a few times a year and the Superb is excellent at eating the miles fully loaded.  4x4 is nice on the twisty roads and gives confidence over the winter months. 

I have had a few issues though, you will find my 3 month update thread elsewhere....  Mainly niggling noises and rattles from the cabin which I have fully solved, chrome trim on the back quarter windows were replaced under warranty (they go white, while the rest of the trim is ok), and one of the sun visor lights stopped working, again replaced no problem.  My only gripe with the car is the brakes which I will eventually do something about, they are adequate enough but a lot of 4x4 owners report the same, brake feel isn't great and requires a lot of pressure.  Plenty of aftermarket upgrade options available though.  My car had 'the fix' done before I bought it and allegedly VAG have a two year goodwill on the EGR valve etc should it fail, whether they would come good I am not sure.  Anyway, after the two years are up I am looking into getting the car re-mapped up to 170 - 180, but at the moment I am happy enough with the power presently on tap.

Good luck with your search...!  Dave

I too have looked at the V70 and XC70 and volvo or audi was going to be my first choice, but somehow (and this may sound silly) they have taken more and more of a back seat, the more I have researched the Superb. They certainly (to me) seem to have more character I have found myself drawn more and more toward that as my choice and although the odd decent Volvo has reared its head online they have not really been in the running against the Superb. Nice cars but somehow missing something. Another major factor for me is decent Forum support. This forum is the only one I have joined in my car search and the response here has been great and I thank you for that. I have been part of a fantastic forum for five years and at different times when helping sort out friends with other makes of vehicle have visited forums that, to all intents and purposes couldn't care less are really had no in-depth knowledge of the cars they drive. The response here has been great and knowing that as a new owner (hopefully soon) I can come here and start myself on a learning curve and maybe even ask the odd silly question with a very good chance of a helpful answer is reassuring.

Nige

Well, The deed is done and I have taken the plunge. Thank you for all the good advice. Off on the long haul to Sheffield on Thursday to collect my Supreb Elegance Estate. Gulp !!

Nige

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ennine said:

Well, The deed is done and I have taken the plunge. Thank you for all the good advice. Off on the long haul to Sheffield on Thursday to collect my Supreb Elegance Estate. Gulp !!

Nige

No gulp needed Nige, you'll really enjoy the car.

Which engine did you get in the end?

Maybe someone can advise me how to edit a post once one realises that they have made a silly typo' due to being old and tired but mainly old. Whole new forum to get familiar with.

Nige

4 minutes ago, Ennine said:

Maybe someone can advise me how to edit a post once one realises that they have made a silly typo' due to being old and tired but mainly old. Whole new forum to get familiar with.

Nige

At the bottom of your post you should see Quote and then next to it is Edit, click that...

9 minutes ago, valv1866 said:

At the bottom of your post you should see Quote and then next to it is Edit, click that...

Ah, that makes me feel a little better. There is no edit button showing on my posts, Quote button but no edit. I did have a good look before posting. I am logged in maybe because I am a new member ?

Oh, that's interesting. Edit button has suddenly appeared on my last two posts. No edit on my other posts. Looks like I am sorted.

Nige

Edited by Ennine
Edit appeared