Amundsen+ vs RNS 315

Rjg

What are the pros and cons of picking either an Amundsen+ or an RNS315 from a VW or Seat? Is it just a case of the illumination not matching the dash?

I'm on a fairly tight budget, and the RNS models do seem to go for less money than the Skoda versions. 

I've currently got a Bolero (as well as a spare Joying Android unit), but I fancy something OEM that can do Bluetooth (for Spotify), navigation, DAB and reversing camera.

Thanks.

RNS315 / Amundsen+ have variations within the theme as well.......optional are DAB, BT and RVC. (Nac is standard) Either model can have 1, 2 or all three options.

Other than that: yes, the illumination, menu colour and boot logo, are the only differences. (VCDS is not able to change this either.) Functionality is 100% identical.

Make sure you get the GPS receiver, and if you got a BT model, get the microphone too. (And or a DAB aerial if you get a DAB one.)

You'll need new trim as well, as those units are squarer than the Bolero.

Also, updating the maps is a case of selling a kidney too.

• 2 weeks later...

...And you cant hack them for free maps either.

or Speed Cameras (free or paid) - which in particular is what I disliked about it.

Pick a Columbus / RNS510 instead.

Edited by camelspyyder

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

...And you cant hack them for free maps either.

You can copy both RNS-310 and RNS-315 map SD cards.

For example, I bought a genuine map SD for an RNS-310, decided that 8GB was too small, then copied the maps to a larger 32GB SD card for more music space. The RNS-315 involves an extra step but is also possible.

19 minutes ago, camelspyyder said:

I think the OP was asking about Amundsen+. I had that and it was locked down. No free upgrades or cameras. Once the genuine card has been in one machine I don't believe it will copy for use in another HU.

It is possible to clone an genuine SD card before it's used on the RNS-315/Amundsen+. It's not just copying the files though...

I'm sure you can find more using google but I doubt I can post more here.

Thanks for the info. 

I loved using Google Maps on my Android unit, so going to OEM nav with the annoying update situation might be a bit of a shock! 

I could always go back to using the phone in a cradle for nav, but would still want rear view camera, built in Bluetooth and DAB from the unit.