Massive oil consumption

Cogan

hey guys, 

Ive recently rebuilt (3months ago) a 02 1.4 16v octavia engine. (code: BCA) 

my problem lies with the oil.... its emptying after about 100 miles... yes 100, not a typo.

There are no leaks. ive been all over the car looking for the cause and i cant seem to find it

the EGR valve needs replacing, the light has been on for a P400 error code. but i dont see this being the problem

am i wrong in that assumption? or is it normal for it to be a bitch on black gold? 

thanks

Thats got to be blowing smoke.. If its not leaking its either rebreathing it through the crankcase or it bypassing on the rings. When it was rebuilt did it have new rings? Who rebuilt it, somethings not right. 

no mate, there isnt any smoke out the back at all. its passed its nct/mot with flying colours.

the big ends and the rings where changed by me, all gaskets are clean and dry.

oil trap/separator was changed (it was leaking from not cleaning around it with petrol) thats no longer leaking.

the EGR is after going on it. but i dont see that being a cause. 

On 9/4/2017 at 19:59, Cogan said:

hey guys, 

Ive recently rebuilt (3months ago) a 02 1.4 16v octavia engine. (code: BCA) 

my problem lies with the oil.... its emptying after about 100 miles... yes 100, not a typo.

There are no leaks. ive been all over the car looking for the cause and i cant seem to find it

the EGR valve needs replacing, the light has been on for a P400 error code. but i dont see this being the problem

am i wrong in that assumption? or is it normal for it to be a bitch on black gold? 

thanks

Rebuilt - in what way and why. On this engine you can't remove the crank without bracing the engine due to it's lightweight construction

However ignoring this  - the oil breathers are prone to failure and cause huge oil consumption and the pressure in the engine forces oil past everything including crank and valve seals, 

Look for the large pipe between the air filter housing and the oil breather module/fire trap on the back of the engine.

1) Remove the oil filler cap and pull off the pipe attached to the air filter -  Blow down this pipe (does it blow free or does it feel blocked)

If that blow free :-

2) Remove the air filter housing and look down the air breather pipe attachment - this pipe runs throug the air filter through to the throttle body and has a mushroom valve on the end.  This frequently can block up with oil mayonaise due to condensation  (serious impact - easy fix, just clean out)

On my 1.4 16v 2001 I briefly had a bad oil consumption problem (didn't really see any smoke though) but I had issue number 2. I now clear out every couple of years to be sure

Oil consumtion now pretty low for a 16 year old car with 122k miles on it.

Edited by bigjohn