Best Winter Tyre options?

S00perb

I am planning a winter trip to the Black Forest Germany in December/January

Never had winter tyres before, but looking at the roads at that time of year, it looks sensible

I have 18" on one car and 16" on the other (both Superb II) - could use either

So - new wheels as well as tyres? Steel wheels? Leave them on all winter in the UK as well? Budget or premium? Cost?

Any thoughts?

Edited by S00perb

Yes Michelin CrossClimates and keep on all year, unless you are going to be needing to carry and maybe use chains in Germany & then get Steels and Snow tyres maybe.

Possibly some for sale in Briskoda for sales.

14 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Yes Michelin CrossClimates and keep on all year, unless you are going to be needing to carry and maybe use chains in Germany & then get Steels and Snow tyres maybe.

Nope! Nope! Nope! If you going to Germany you will need to have proper winter tyres with "snowflake" on the side wall. Winter tyres are required by law in Hermanyhttp://www.rubberassociation.ca/files/Mountain Snowflake (small).jpg

20 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

At £637.24 thats quite a bit!

1 minute ago, Lyminton said:

Go for 16" in winter. 205/55R16 

Best to use my 16" estate than the 18" saloon then?

Edited by S00perb

3 minutes ago, Lyminton said:

Yes! You will need to check load ratio but to be on the safe side, go straight for 205/55R16 (94) 

Just £191 a set!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-WINTER-TYRE-Nankang-Snow-SV-2-205-55-R16-94H-XL-/132083039861?fits=Tyre+Width%3A205|Aspect+Ratio%3A55|Rim+Diameter%3A16&hash=item1ec0c33e75:g:trQAAOSw~epZgDuz

• Like 1

Practice fitting your snow chains before going, at a safe place, and also in adverse weather conditions.

Try and have a matching spare wheel / winter tyre to the 4 on the car carried rather than a near matching one that is not a winter / snow tyre.

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/winter 

Winter Tyre Regulations – EU Winter Driving Laws – Michelin UK.mhtml

Edited by Headinawayoffski

38 minutes ago, Lyminton said:

Nope! Nope! Nope! If you going to Germany you will need to have proper winter tyres with "snowflake" on the side wall. Winter tyres are required by law in Hermanyhttp://www.rubberassociation.ca/files/Mountain Snowflake (small).jpg

I think you'll find that the CrossClimate has 3Peaks winter certification, so is suitable to use in place of a dedicated winter tyre.

http://www.michelin.ie/tyres/learn-share/buying-guide/ever-heard-about-winter-tyre-regulations

Just now, Lyminton said:

I've been driving in winter conditions across the Eastern Europe for many years and I've never been in need to use chains. 

Germany requires them to be carried apparently, so I best know how to use them

Never needed to use a Breathalyzer or a Fire Extinguisher or even a Hi-Viz vest in France neither have passengers, or had to use a Spare Bulb Kit but then handy to have and in some places some of these save on any issues with law orifices.

Used Snow Chains often enough though even in the UK. (Far to the West and a bit North Europe.)

PS

Germany in Northern Central Europe....

Black Forest South West Germany...

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Those wheels on Ebay look o.k.

Do not go overboards with snow chains. Re. the LI of the tyres, 91 is o.k. For the pre facemodel Skoda specified 91. On the facelift SII they dropped the 91 for a 94 even though the car has not increased in weight. My old V70 was heavier and was allowed 91.

If you go for VW alloys your Skoda centre caps will not fit as they are smaller. I found some Skoda centre caps for VW alloys on Ebay.

Superb-Wheels__Tyres.pdf