Octavia vrs glow plug issue

Daveyjohnboy78

I filled up my Octavia 2011 vrs just over a week ago and the glow plug light came on and the car went into limp mode.  After pulling over and checking the manual I restarted the car and the code has vanished.  The code reappeared about 10 mins later, which sooner after my car became a non starter.

the diagnostics suggest the fault has something to do with the fuel system.

my local main dealer has quoted me £4.2k to fix what they have said is "swarf", and the £4.2k will cover replacement parts and labour for every engine part they believe "could" be impacted by swarf.

My my car is currently at the main skoda dealer in Leeds and in need to get the car back to York.

i really therefore need some help and guidance please.

is there a simple way of starting my car so it can be driven, even if the glow plug light remains on?  Even if this overrides the engine management system?

has anyone come across a similar problem in the past and what was the solution?

does anyone know anyone in the York / Leeds area who could look at my car without any extortionate main dealership  costs?

does anyone know anyone who they believe might be interested in buying my car in current condition?  Hopefully you will make a profit if you can get it going and sell it privately.

please help!

At a guess, it sounds like the high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) has failed which has then contaminated the fuel system with tiny metal pieces (swarf) which were once part of the fuel pump.

If that's the case, you really shouldn't be driving it as it'll only cause more damage. The fact it's not starting would suggest plenty has already been done. If it needs moving, get a breakdown company to do it for you.

Assuming I'm correct, it'll be an expensive repair as the entire fuel system needs checking and cleaning, possibly including replacing the fuel injectors.

Thanks for the quick reply and good insight.  Your diagnosis is effectively what I have been told by the dealer.

unfortunately what they have also said is that even I feel I put a new fuel pump on it, there is no guarantee it will start or  even run for several weeks.

what I can't get my head round is that although my Octavia is nearly 6 years old with 80k miles on the clock, it has always been fully serviced by the main dealer.  I now plenty of people with similar cars that have done more miles, been serviced less frequently and less thoroughly, and have never experienced the issue I appear to have.

if the issue is the fuel pump failing, should the fuel filter have prevented the swarf from getting into the fuel system? My mechanical knowledge is not great, so this statement could be off the mark!

There is a fuel filter on the low pressure side of the HPFP. Once the fuel has been pressurised it's a direct feed to the fuel injectors via the fuel rail - no filters on the high pressure side.

If the HPFP is replaced, there is no guarantee the fuel rail, pressure sensors or fuel injectors haven't been damaged. It's replacing parts like this that will really increase the price.

This document will give you idea of the fuel system layout in a VAG common rail TDi, page 27 onwards: http://www.natef.org/natef/media/natefmedia/vw files/2-0-tdi-ssp.pdf

Sounds like HPFP failures were popular over in the US around 2009/2010 as mentioned here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380http

They suggested failures are due to:

- Water contaminated diesel.
- Gasoline contaminated diesel.
- Varying quality and lubricity of Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel in North America.
- Poor pump design - including mechanical design and metallurgy.
- A bad batch of fuel pumps.

You could try contacting Skoda UK as you have a full dealer service history and see if they will offer any good will towards the repair.