Scout winter tyres

andyasjl

Hi  guys

im a new skoda driver, having just bought a 2015 scout dsg, a very happy man.

want some winter tyres fitted to steel wheels, as go to Scotland/lake Dst often in winter, for hillwalking/climbing/mtb.

live way down south so lots of M/way driving to get places.

I have some expensive snow chains (used once)off my old mondeo that had 205/55/16 tyres.

From reading the forum posts,  I can use 205/55/16 with chains, but it looks rubbish and lowers ride height?

or. Can use 205/60/16 winter tyres but can't use chains, but the ride height is not lost, am I correct?

I would rather have execellent winter Tyres for wet/ice/snow and not loose any underbody clearance, than for the need to fit chains,

which in real life I've done once in 8 years. 

Sorry to ask same old questions, but am I right in choosing a larger tyre to fit my needs, ps not planning on ski trips abroad.

Thanks for any help

andrew

Welcome.

Since not planning on going abroad just buy the tyres that will suit your needs in UK winter conditions.

Get the size and load rating and type you want on, Snow, Winter, All Season or even Summer Tyres like Michelin CrossClimate that are winter Certificated and can stay on the car all year in the UK.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

As you know the times Snow Chains are required are few and far between and the are a PITA fitting.

Where there is ice and ice for a good while or miles i do fit them.

& I carry them but if helping people stuck with unsuitable tyres, i also have Snow Socks to fit on their drive wheels to get them moving onto black top if roads are treated and cleared.

Obviously when going abroad best buy Winter Tyres Certificated for the Countries you are going abroad to, and of a size where you can fit snow chains in countries where snow chains must be carried just incase you need to actually use them.

There is a thread just down the page about a Superb & going to the Black Forest that has the links that might be useful regarding the law in Continental European Countries.

I bought a few sets of these when being cleared in ASDA for a tenner.

DSCN3136.JPG

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks for info, maybe I'll keep an eye out for the snow socks just for extreme conditions.

for many years I ran a 110 defender, great truck, but on the busy uk roads in extreme weather you go nowhere for all the stuck and abandoned vehicles