DSG vs Manual

Although I will not be changing car 'till next Aug/Sept I am alredy thing about my options.

Currently have a SE 1.6 tdi manual hatch but will change to a petrol next time. Driven the 1.4 tsi in SEL trim and liked it a lot. It was a manual.

Last weekend we had the Superb 190 tdi hatch with a dsg box (72 hrs test). Although the Superb is bigger than we need I did like the dsg box. First time I have driven a car with dsg. Even SWMBO liked it.

What do folks on here think about the dsg vs manual in a petrol (1.5 tsi) hatch and is the SEL trim worth the extra cash ?

I had 1.6 elegance manual & recently got 1.4 DSG in SE-L trim. I wish I had gone for a DSG box years ago! So smooth, gearchanges barely detectable. Also much prefer the petrol over the diesel engine, again very smooth & quiet + more than enough performance for me. Fuel consumption not as good as the diesel but so far I've been averaging high 30's around town.

I like the SE-L trim & thought it worth going for

Hi,

Going to throw another vote in for the DSG box.  It just makes so much more sense when pootling around town and is a god send in traffic..

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but all that clutch work was getting a little tiresome.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Hi,

Going to throw another vote in for the DSG box.  It just makes so much more sense when pootling around town and is a god send in traffic..

Perhaps I'm just getting old, but all that clutch work was getting a little tiresome.

I'll second that thought, as I average 40+ miles to and from work on mainly A and B roads, I have gone for the DSG, now I arrive at my destination chilled out and relaxed, it's amazing how much difference it makes.

My 1.6 D Octavia SE-L DSG estate is a godsend. Well worth the money.

• Like 2

I have a 4x4 vRS DSG and whilst I like it, I would spend the money on other options first. As the 4x4 (which I wanted) isn't available with manual, I had no option. DSG is better suited to petrol than diesel IMHO.

Other factors that could influence the decision are type of driving, economy concerns, longevity and reliability factors and also the cost of purchase/lease.

• Like 1

Also should have asked if the extra cost of the paddles with dsg is worth it ? I don't think they are standard on the SEL trim. The Superb I drove did not have them and I din't think it was an issue.

Two years ago I wasn't convinced by the SE L. In particular I get the impression that the fabric seats wear better than the leather, Android Auto is better and cheaper than Amundsen and 17" wheels are not necessarily preferable to 16".

8 minutes ago, Rodge said:

Two years ago I wasn't convinced by the SE L. In particular I get the impression that the fabric seats wear better than the leather, Android Auto is better and cheaper than Amundsen and 17" wheels are not necessarily preferable to 16".

Ah yes, but what about the DSG?

I'd say yes to the paddles. I love DSG but use mine mainly in manual mode with the paddles. Another vote for DSG over a manual here.

Can anyone confirm which DSG box the 1.5tsi gets? Seems to be a 7 speeder but that could be the old dry clutch unit or the new wet clutch unit?

I had a DSG 1.4tsi elegance for 3-1/2 years & its a great combo, I ragged absolute **** outta mine & it never failed me.

SE-L trim is good for confort & the seats wear very well, I'd have another 1 but, I got the vRS245 instead as my eye sight is getting worse so I thought I'd have some fun before its no longer possible.

• Like 2

I had an L&K 150ps diesel DSG for 2 years and it was fantastic. The only fault I can give it is that it can sometimes be a bit jerky while doing low speed manoeuvres, but otherwise it's great. Definitely a no brainier over the manual, especially if the car has ACC.

Currently pottering around in a 2 series manual until my new car arrives, and I'm not a fan of having to change gear again haha...would never buy another manual. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fergiet said:

Also should have asked if the extra cost of the paddles with dsg is worth it ? I don't think they are standard on the SEL trim. The Superb I drove did not have them and I din't think it was an issue.

Another vote for dsg.  My current car is an auto (ZF 8 speed box) which is brilliant.  No paddles and I can't say I've ever been bothered.  They're standard on the vRS I'm waiting for but I wouldn't have paid money to add them if they weren't.  You can always do manual changes with the stick if so inclined.

54 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

Another vote for dsg.  My current car is an auto (ZF 8 speed box) which is brilliant.  No paddles and I can't say I've ever been bothered.  They're standard on the vRS I'm waiting for but I wouldn't have paid money to add them if they weren't.  You can always do manual changes with the stick if so inclined.

Being able to go through the gears without taking my hands off the wheel is one of the best things about having DSG imo.

ZF8 is probably the best auto box 

Another vote for DSG. On my third one now. Won't go back to manual for the main, fast family car (220 vRS estate). 

I still have a manual Citigo and do enjoy the gear changing on that. But, it's a dying art. 

Once you have DSG or a decent auto, you won't go back.

I think DSG suits the petrol better than diesel, but that could be a moot point before too long too! 

Edited by dunc69

My vote goes to DSG too. Only ever had DSG Octavias and automatics since 1990. Best gearbox in my opinion.

1.5TSi SE L Hatch due to be built week 40

I'm going to be 'devil's advocate' here:

Australian reviews of DSG equipped cars tend to be critical of low speed traffic work, reaction times to sudden changes (eg slowing and then accelerating), and sometimes the time taken to engage reverse gear (presumably when in a hurry).

Comments from Aussie owners tend to be totally polarised about the accuracy of the reviews so it is good that the OP managed to get an extended test drive to determine his own opinion, just a pity it was not the 'dry' 7 speed fitted to a small turbo petrol which is going to be bought.

Australian comments suggest there can be issues with the dry DSG clutch pack longevity. Maybe it is our heat or driving techniques (remember most have previously driven torque box models) but conservatively driven cars have experienced clutch pack replacements within 20k km.

To be fair the replacements were done without any reservations and I have even heard instances of that being freely done outside warranty.

There is sufficient mistrust in the market that Skoda have now standardised Aussie warranty periods to 5 years and unlimited kilometres.

Most of the above comments are irrelevant if you are only keeping the car for a lease period, but should be considered by those for long term vehicle ownership or 2nd hand purchase.

Personally, I prefer a manual, although I will admit that while the Octavia manual/clutch combination is very good it many not be the very best on the market  in its price range as it relatively notchy (especially 1st to 2nd) compared to Ford or Mazda I have experienced.

I have only driven an old wet 6 speed DSG (with flappy paddles) for any length of time and must admit I thought it was great and could not really fault it and the response times to those flappy paddles was incredibly fast compared to the torque converter boxes I had experienced before.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

If the DSG is the weaker 7speed then in the long term it can have more problems than the stronger 6speed.

I have driven DSG & even in manual mode I don't like it....might as will stick with manual box as cheaper & less to go wrong in the long term...I buy my cars outright & keep for 10yrs...

Only time I will get a DSG is if my back packs up & my left leg fails...

EDIT

Edited by fabdavrav

Having come from a DSG to a manual it's manual for me. I might have had not the best example but as others have said, it was occasionally jerky at low speeds (though not all the time) and there could be a hesitancy pulling away at roundabouts. Could never see the point of a "sports" mode on a 138 bhp diesel either. 

Having said that, my old man loves his in his Tiguan.

Rich

All I can say is I'm on my second VAG car with DSG and it is great, especially when used in conjunction with the ACC it just works so well. Paddles are needed if you need to dive in and make a quick change if you are looking to overtake, rather than wait for the kick down even if in sport mode the paddles work better.

Currently have a Mercedes, 66 plate, A class for work and it is utter crap in comparison to the VAG DSG. The Mercedes DSG is very Jerky often gets the gears wrong (holding on way too long even in eco mode) has a crap hold system plus generally not a very good car (that's for another thread).

I have a 150bhp diesel and the DSG work's really well IMHO also had a petrol before and that worked well too.

On 06/09/2017 at 13:08, kinega said:

I had 1.6 elegance manual & recently got 1.4 DSG in SE-L trim. I wish I had gone for a DSG box years ago! So smooth, gearchanges barely detectable. Also much prefer the petrol over the diesel engine, again very smooth & quiet + more than enough performance for me. Fuel consumption not as good as the diesel but so far I've been averaging high 30's around town.

I like the SE-L trim & thought it worth going for

Wot He Said!

We love our Race Blue 1.4 SEL DSG.

We've had a few DSG / Powershift (Volvo) cars now and wouldn't go back to manual.

The different modes let you change your mood when driving :biggrin:

My wife ran a Mini for a while and jumping into a manual was such a pain.

Another vote for the dsg with the diesel VRS

word of note with the stop start on it can be a little hesitant and jerky in to first as it tries and decides what to do if you want to move quickly. 

Just makes life so much easier! As my wife says it point and shoot type of driving.