12v Supply Back Seats MK3 FL

30 minutes ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Hi,

Just a quick question.

Do you get a 12v power supply in the back of the 2017 FL Octavia?

I know there is one in the boot.

Andy

Nope. It's still in the boot. Or you could tick the £100 twin rear USB option, depending on what the application will be. 

2 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Nope. It's still in the boot. Or you could tick the £100 twin rear USB option, depending on what the application will be. 

Ah yes...

The USB ports cost £100, but only if you pay the £400 for heated rear seats..

May have to look at running a long cable through from the boot or something.

Thanks for the reply.

5 hours ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Ah yes...

The USB ports cost £100, but only if you pay the £400 for heated rear seats..

May have to look at running a long cable through from the boot or something.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe something like this, Andy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Charger-Haweel®-Passenger-Extended/dp/B01C8VCG2S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1495531566&sr=8-8&keywords=belkin+cigarette

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, peterhardy said:

Absolutely perfect..

Thanks Peter. Just ordered one!!!

• Like 1

I'm in Ireland so specs and options are probably different. I've the the two USB connections in the back. But don't have headed rear seats just heated fronts. I didn't select them in the configuration but did go for the xtreme package and driver assist package. Did say it was offered in either but I still have it.

I own that same 12v to 4 USB splitter.

Works very well.  

Thread the 12v lead under the drivers seat and hide the excess cable under there, attach the 2 USBs to the back of the drivers seat storage using the clip provided.  

~Very neat, tidy and a good charger; just disconnect it when not in use as the 12v seems to be permanent live.  

• Like 1

Thanks @BNT1985 I saw somewhere else that the sockets were permanatly on.  I assume there must be something that prevents the battery from draining too much though.

Could it be that the sockets activate when you open the doors and stay on for so long aftre the engine is switched off.

43 minutes ago, ClarkWGriswold said:

Might pick up one of those as well for the next drive to Scotland. Thanks for the link.

Rich

I actually ordered from Ebay.  Pretty much the same price, but I get Nectar points :)

5 minutes ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Thanks @BNT1985 I saw somewhere else that the sockets were permanatly on.  I assume there must be something that prevents the battery from draining too much though.

Could it be that the sockets activate when you open the doors and stay on for so long aftre the engine is switched off.

No worries @Andyjm2uk.  Cant say I have ever tried to find out as it has never really been an issue for me, I just unplug when not in use.

I have a standard 12v to 2xUSB splitter I use if it is just me and 1 passenger just to keep the phones topped up as my phone is getting on a bit and the bluetooth connection tends to drain the battery on a long trip; prefer the 2xUSB as lower profile and no cable.

The one you have just ordered though is very good if you have a car full, which I have on occasion.  It gets used every time myself and 3-4 others take a trip to Scotland around every 3-4 months (usually 8-14 hour drives depending on where we go); it keeps the peasants in the back content as they play on their phones and thus not drinking too much and having to stop for toilet breaks every 100 miles and I can keep mine topped up from the USB connector by the AUX port.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Cigarette sockets are perm live.... I know as I've left my dash cam plugged in for ~1 1/2 weeks and then the car wasn't too happy with the idea of starting.  It did at least let me unlock the doors!

2 minutes ago, mbames said:

Cigarette sockets are perm live.... I know as I've left my dash cam plugged in for ~1 1/2 weeks and then the car wasn't too happy with the idea of starting.  It did at least let me unlock the doors!

Seems a strange way to set things up....

Perhaps cheaper...

3 minutes ago, Andyjm2uk said:

Seems a strange way to set things up....

Good for if you want to leave something charging (in the boot, hidden of course).  My mates Focus (it is an RS, but I doubt that makes any difference) seems to have the sockets on a timer so after 10-15 minutes it cuts the power.

Either way, as long as you know what the sockets do, you can work around it.  I've bought a BlackMagic box which powers my cameras down after 15 minutes (or at least it will do once I get around to wiring it in!)

Edited by mbames

Yes, 12v sockets are permanently live.  My current car powers them on remote press to unlock and then switches off 5 minutes after remote lock - exactly as you would wish!

I'm getting the dealer to modify their behaviour on my vRS to 'live by key' when they do the PDI.  £90 which is a mick take really but keeps the job right for me with it being a Motability car.  It means there's no comebacks to me if there's any attributable major issues down the line so I'm prepared to suck it up for the peace of mind.

17 hours ago, peterhardy said:

Yes, 12v sockets are permanently live.  My current car powers them on remote press to unlock and then switches off 5 minutes after remote lock - exactly as you would wish!

Unless you have a cool box full of food in the boot powered by the socket.

I've had VAG cars for the last 17 years all with permanently live 12v sockets, how often have I had a flat battery caused by it? Never. As already posted

as long as you know what the sockets do, you can work around it

16 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

I've had VAG cars for the last 17 years all with permanently live 12v sockets, how often have I had a flat battery caused by it? Never. As already posted

Yeah... I'm assuming leaving a USB Adapter plugged in is only going to use the power for the LEDs, if no device is charging, so it would take a very long time to run the battery down.

Guess its just getting used to the change...

36 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Different strokes for different folks :biggrin: